Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Post-decline gems

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
There were some very good games on PS2 yes, but the full catalogue doesn't match up to the PS1's greatness.
The PS2 has not only more games (and is backwards compatible), but it even has games from genres that didn't exist back in the PS1
Looking at it seriously, the PS1 only wins in regards to jRPG's

If you don't actually play the games you'll never understand.
Says the guy that has barely played anything after 2014 and is unironically recommending Sekiro for its combat

Again, worthless garbage not even worth talking about. The 90s is king. For Microsoft, see MS-DOS and Windows 95/98.
You're talking about consoles here, stick to the topic please
And far as Microsoft consoles go, the XBox 360 is its best hardware in success and game catalogue

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Looking at it seriously, the PS1 only wins in regards to jRPG's

You can't look at it seriously without adequate exposure, silly.

The PS2 has not only more games

Quality over quantity.

it even has games from genres that didn't exist back in the PS1

By the PS2 a bunch of genres from the 90s had already died out or were killed on that platform.
Also number of genres, whatever the true statistic may be, is irrelevant. All that matters is number of :obviously: games. PS1 had over double truly great games.

Even in the freaking FPS genre PS1 stomps all over 2 and shits on its corpse. The only truly worthy FPS on PS2 were PC ports of RTCW & Half-Life. It should be the PS2 that wins because sticks were normalized but alas, 2000s FPS are almost universally garbage.

PS1 had of note:

Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
BRAHMA Force
Duke Nukem 3D
Alien Trilogy
Descent
Descent 2
Exhumed/Powerslave
Quake 2
Disruptor
Hexen

Says the guy that has barely played anything after 2014 and is unironically recommending Sekiro its combat

Barely played anything is false, but it's true I no longer passionately play absolutely everything I can get my hands on anymore. The shitty post-2005 industry eventually beat that out of me shit game after shit game.

So, how about you present your comprehensive list of post-decline gems, if modern gaming is so good?

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Quality over quantity.
The PS2 had both
By the PS2 a bunch of genres from the 90s had already died out or were killed on that platform.
Like?
Even in the freaking FPS genre
Alright
I agree with this one
But it's only 2 genres the PS1 does better, the PS2 still surpasses it in every other genre
how about you present your comprehensive list
Ain't got time you to be compiling that shit now
Ask me an action subgenre and the period the game is from and I'll try to give some recommendations

But I can assure you, you'll never catch me recommending Sekiro for its combat of all things...

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
It really sucks the decline happened when I was gaming the most. It was quite depressing always waiting for something good to come out. Now a days there seems to be a good games all the time.

Ash

Arcane
Quality over quantity.
The PS2 had both

Of course, but it didn't have many truly great games. A lot of 8/10 awesome games, but not many prestigious :obviously:

But it's only 2 genres the PS1 does better, the PS2 still surpasses it in every other genre

Survival Horror & platformers of various kinds (including Metroidvania which went over to the gameboy) as other big ones. So that's four. But in reality it's more, it's just more difficult to demonstrate to you certain examples, especially if you have minimal exposure. I'll put a little bit of effort in:

2D games of various kinds for starters (e.g side-scrollers). Ignoramuses like to claim that was the PS1 era but nope, there's an absolute fuckton of great 2D games in the late 90s. By the PS2, only then was 2D almost phased out entirely.

Three genres I give a shit about measurably inclined on the PS2: 3D action hack n slash (DMC etc), third person shooters (there's some very good ones on PS1, but simply more on PS2), and racing/sports games. Maybe stealth too. Maybe. As the 90s has many very good stealth games too. Everything else decline.

The biggest issue with PS2 was that this was when focus was starting to shift from abstract gameplay of the 90s, instead to excessive graphics and realism. But it was a transitionary period and gameplay was still somewhat surviving in the conscience of developers, unlike the generation that came after.

Ask me an action subgenre and the period the game is from and I'll try to give some recommendations

Vehicular combat.
Survival Horror.
3D platformer.
Stealth.
Miscellaneous (for example, the awesome Silent Bomber would be a misc. action game that doesn't quite fall under any other subgenre).

Any time from the past decade or so. Squirm little worm!

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Does anyone else get some kind of anti-nostalgia for the 2007 - 2015 era when it comes to gaming?
Not a fan either
Even with 2010-2011 being somewhat outlier years
But for console players, specially XBox, 2006-2012 are considered the golden years

That's fascinating because a lot of those are the exact games that made me think "fuck, things are going awry". :lol:

Probably a lesson to be learned there, though - if someone like Crowbcat is sat there mourning the loss of a "golden age" that appeared to the rest of us to be a dark age, it's a good reminder to keep your eyes on the present, since one person's "golden age" is another person's massive vortex of dogshit. I'm really delighted with how the 2020s are going so far - bit of a dip in 2021 and 2022 (to be fair though, covid lockdowns) but 2020 alone had more games that I enjoyed than the previous 5 years combined, and things seem to be going in a very promising direction right now.

Hated those years passionately when I was living it, and it hasn't stopped. Combine it with the fucking awful, grating, degenerate mainstream music, reality TV hitting its stride, movies turning into shit, I just hated the fucking world. Nothing enraged me more than the mass decline of video games and blatant shameless selling out though.

Not much has changed since then, everything is still massive decline over the 90s and prior years, I just learned to live with it I guess.
Well honestly, I spent almost all of 2007 - 2009 smoking in a car park with my girlfriend and her sister, and barely remember anything else, other than endless pissing about on garry's mod, being a watermelon and racing down a ramp or whatever. Also developed an energy drink addiction which caused me to experience time dilation which allowed me to skip almost all of 2008.

Just as well considering what a shit year it was for games.

Spike

Educated
Quality over quantity.
The PS2 had both
Like?
Alright
I agree with this one

But I can assure you, you'll never catch me recommending Sekiro for its combat of all things...
This guy is right on PS2, wrong on Sekiro. Here Ash: Godhand, Siren (1 and it's JP-only sequel), Shadow of Rome (eternal gem), Maximo: Ghosts to Glory (eternal gem), Maximo: Army of Zin (eternal gem), Urban Reign (eternal gem), .hack (both series), Dawn of Mana, Rogue Galaxy, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, Jet Li: Rise to Honor (better than PS1's Jackie Chan Stuntmaster although Jackie movies > Jet Li IRL even though it's close), Hungry Ghosts, Genji: Dawn of the Samurai, Matrix: Path of Neo, Shadow of Destiny, Pitfall: The Lost Expedition (severely underrated 3D platformer action adventure), Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Ape Escape 2, Ape Escape 3, Ponie's Poin, The Adventures of Cookie & Cream, Shinobi, Nightshade, Dual Hearts, Crimson Sea 2, Justice League Heroes, Champions of Norrath: Realms of EverQuest, Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms, Eternal Ring, Legacy of Kain: Defiance, Soul Reaver 2, Tak and the Power of Juju, Tak 2, Tak 3, Jak and Daxter, Jak 2, Jak 3, Ratchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando, Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2: Band of Thieves, Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves, Kya: Dark Lineage, Radiata Stories, Crash Twinsanity, Shining Force NEO, Shining Force EXA, Spartan: Total Warrior, Silent Hill 1, 2, and 3 (maybe 4), Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army, Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon, Soul Nomad & The World Eaters, Summoner 1 and 2, Code of the Samurai, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, Blood Omen 2: The Legacy of Kain, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I and II, Batman: Vengeance, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Okami, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Evergrace, Bersek: Millennium Falcon, Forever Kingdom, Sword of Etheria, Way of the Samurai 1 and 2, Onimusha 1, 2, 3, and Dawn of Dreams, Blood Will Tell (true gem), Destroy All Humans 1 and 2.

PS2 completely mogs PSX.

Ash

Arcane
Does anyone else get some kind of anti-nostalgia for the 2007 - 2015 era when it comes to gaming?
Not a fan either
But for console players, specially XBox, 2006-2012 are considered the golden years

That's fascinating because a lot of those are the exact games that made me think "fuck, things are going awry". :lol:

Probably a lesson to be learned there, though - if someone like Crowbcat is sat there mourning the loss of a "golden age" that appeared to the rest of us to be a dark age, it's a good reminder to keep your eyes on the present, since one person's "golden age" is another person's massive vortex of dogshit.

Crowbcat is not and has never been prestigious. Most of his videos I've seen are complaints about minor fluff details, graphics and realism whoring. Never core gameplay which is the real problem.
This guy is right on PS2, wrong on Sekiro. Here Ash: Godhand, Siren (1 and it's JP-only sequel), Shadow of Rome (eternal gem), Maximo: Ghosts to Glory (eternal gem), Maximo: Army of Zin (eternal gem), Urban Reign (eternal gem), .hack (both series), Dawn of Mana, Rogue Galaxy, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, Jet Li: Rise to Honor (better than PS1's Jackie Chan Stuntmaster although Jackie movies > Jet Li IRL even though it's close), Hungry Ghosts, Genji: Dawn of the Samurai, Matrix: Path of Neo, Shadow of Destiny, Pitfall: The Lost Expedition (severely underrated 3D platformer action adventure), Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Ape Escape 2, Ape Escape 3, Ponie's Poin, The Adventures of Cookie & Cream, Shinobi, Nightshade, Dual Hearts, Crimson Sea 2, Justice League Heroes, Champions of Norrath: Realms of EverQuest, Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms, Eternal Ring, Legacy of Kain: Defiance, Soul Reaver 2, Tak and the Power of Juju, Tak 2, Tak 3, Jak and Daxter, Jak 2, Jak 3, Ratchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando, Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2: Band of Thieves, Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves, Kya: Dark Lineage, Radiata Stories, Crash Twinsanity, Shining Force NEO, Shining Force EXA, Spartan: Total Warrior, Silent Hill 1, 2, and 3 (maybe 4), Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army, Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon, Soul Nomad & The World Eaters, Summoner 1 and 2, Code of the Samurai, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, Blood Omen 2: The Legacy of Kain, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I and II, Batman: Vengeance, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Okami, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Evergrace, Bersek: Millennium Falcon, Forever Kingdom, Sword of Etheria, Way of the Samurai 1 and 2, Onimusha 1, 2, 3, and Dawn of Dreams, Blood Will Tell (true gem), Destroy All Humans 1 and 2.

PS2 completely mogs PSX.

I don't think you realized you just spammed us with a list of largely mediocre games. Some gems here but a lot I do not consider particularly good at all.

PS2 mogs nothing. Play more 90s classics kids.

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
Not a fan either

Probably a lesson to be learned there, though - if someone like Crowbcat is sat there mourning the loss of a "golden age" that appeared to the rest of us to be a dark age, it's a good reminder to keep your eyes on the present, since one person's "golden age" is another person's massive vortex of dogshit.

Crowbcat is not and has never been prestigious. Most of his videos are complaints about minor fluff details, graphics and realism whoring. Never core gameplay.

Quality over quantity.
The PS2 had both
Like?
Alright
I agree with this one

PS2 completely mogs PSX.

I don't think you realized you just spammed us with a list of largely absolutely mediocre games. PS2 mogs nothing. Play more 90s classics kids.

Have you even played them? You are not allowed to talk about the PS2 and it's alleged inferiority to PSX until you have played: Maximo 1 and 2, Urban Reign, Godhand, Okami, Blood Will Tell, Siren, and maybe Rogue Galaxy. Where is your list of 90s classics? I grew up with both PSX and PS2 by the way, so I've played dozens and dozens and maybe hundreds of PSX games and PS2 mogs it into the stratosphere.

Ash

Arcane
I was playing Maximo 1 just the other week. It's mediocre lol.

I grew up with PSX, PS2, PC, and most of the other consoles. Still today I am playing them (emulation). No console has a single chance of mogging PS1. If any comes close it would be PS2, but nope. It doesn't even come close.

As for my list, maybe one day. It would take some time to compile and wouldn't include mediocrity like yours. Baldur's gate DA 1 & 2? Matrix Path of Neo? Silent Hill 2 (lol)? Standards be low. ALL the onimushas? Only the last one is approaching greatness and even that probably doesn't deserve a prestigious rating.

However, brofist for Jackie Chan movies > Jet Li IRL. Li has a few pretty fucking good ones but there is no beating the Chan. As for the games in question, both are shit so who cares? High quality games only folks. GEMS.

Spike

Educated
I was playing Maximo 1 just the other week. It's mediocre lol.
Skill issue or shit taste, likely both. However the only real thing I disagree with you about is: 1. There being more 3D platformers on PSX and of higher quality (????) and 2. PSX overall being greater than PS2. Simply untrue.

I highly doubt you would not include mediocrity since your taste is so schizophrenically kino and dog poop but alright champ. You're close, PSX is the second greatest console. Can you at least name me this supposed list of 3D platformers on the PSX or am I mistaken in your claim? The genre was too young during PSX, it only has a handful of good 3D platformers.

Ash

Arcane
PS1 has some of the very best platformers ever made:

Tomb Raider 1 & 2: Stone cold classics. Turned into popamole garbage on PS2 and beyond.
Spyro 1: This game is actually fucking great believe it or not. Everything Spyro after is shit, on both PS1 and PS2.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Yet another series that turned into shit on the PS Poo.

No low-grade shit here. :obviously:

I could post numerous other examples, but trying to keep the thread to certified gems only unlike you.

Furthermore, in general, all action games in the 90s had platforming. e.g FPS had platforming. Stealth games had platforming. In the 2000s, suddenly that element was stripped back considerably (especially FPS), in addition to other things like navigation (level design was more linear and handholdey on the whole).
The biggest factor that generally makes the PS2 inferior is undoubtedly level design across the board. There is no beating the 90s for that. Big open creative diverse multi-genre levels with no handholding. Also difficulty. A lot of franchises and new IPs started to get a bit too easy. Still not retard-tier like the generation after, but it was noticeable.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
3D platformers are generally mid. Most of them a toddler can get through without missing a single jump. But Tomb Raider was and is exceptional and people probably missed/died more on the first level of 1 and 2 than the entirety of Rare's garbage, Ratshit and Wank, Sly Coper, etc. PoPs were also good, and Crash never excited me but at least they required some timing and dexterity.

Lemming42

Arcane
Crash Bandicoot 1 is fantastic, it feels like a natural evolution of and refinement of everything that worked in Mario (albeit with far slower movement), and makes great use of the powers of 3D.

That bit in Toxic Waste when the asshole is throwing barrels at you and you've got to dodge them by running towards them fucked me up so much as a kid, could never get the timing right.

Ash

Arcane
Crash is OK. It's definitely not superior to Super Mario Bros 3 though. Despite being 3D it's more on rails, more clunky and less depth. But what it does do it does nail well. On the PS1 and PS2. But ultimately I don't consider them true gems/classics. Just good old games.

Machocruz

Arcane
Not a single 3D platformer is as good as SMB3, so. Some people prefer 3D Mario, but that's what happens when the asylums shut down.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
not many prestigious :obviously:
:nocountryforshitposters:

Survival Horror
The more time passes, the more I am conviced Survival Horror isn't a genre but more of a quality originating of a game's atmosphere and gameplay design

Think about it
What are usually the defining elements of this "genre" - its an inclination for horror elements and tight resource management
But you can find those qualities in all manner of games that aren't traditionally defined as survival horror
And even when looking at examples of classic survival horror games, at the core of their design when stripped of their horror elements, they are essentially part of other game genres - what is resident evil if not a dungeon crawler ; what is penumbra other than an adventure game

there's an absolute fuckton of great 2D games in the late 90s. By the PS2, only then was 2D almost phased out entirely.
By the PS2 era they were moved to Nintendo's portable consoles (gameboy advance and ds) where you can find great 2D games

Vehicular combat.
BallisticNG
Wreckfest
GRIP
Rocket League
Road Redemption
Mad Max (the one great thing about this game)
World of Tanks

Survival Horror.
Ignoring my point made above just for the sake of presenting some games:

Amnesia Bunker
REmake 2
Alien Isolation
Plague Tale Requiem
Darkwood
Paratopic
Pathologic 2
No one lives under the Lighthouse
STASIS
Signalis

3D platformer.
Super Mario Odyssey
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
A Hat in Time
Pseudoregalia
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Ghostrunner 1 + 2

Metal Gear Solid 5
nuHITMAN
Dishonored 2
Ghost of a Tale
Styx: Shards of Darkness
Filcher

This guy is ... wrong on Sekiro.
I am right regarding Sekiro's combat
Search your feelings, you know it to be true

3D platformers are generally mid. Most of them a toddler can get through without missing a single jump.
Really, I find the opposite
Never had as much trouble landing jumps even in Super Mario's Lost Levels as I've had with making certain acrobacies in Mirror's Edge

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
The concept of gems is clearly lost on zoomers. Most of the games I've played in that list are pure shit or OK at best. Not matching up to the classics...which you haven't played. So it's no surprise.

The more time passes, the more I am conviced Survival Horror isn't a genre but more of a quality originating of a game's atmosphere and gameplay design
Lol yes, gameplay design is what defines genres and sub-genres. Survival Horror is a sub-genre of action. And most of the games in your list lack that particular gameplay design and are poop.

By the way, prestigious rating for me is 8.5/10 and above. 8 is gem. 7.5 is good for what it is. 7 is just about passable. Any less than that is SHIT.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Most of the games I've played in that list are pure shit or OK at best. Not matching up to the classics...which you haven't played. So it's no surprise.
Which games from that list have you played?
Why you think they're mediocre at best and bad at worst?
Which classics are you refereing to that I haven't played?

Answer questions please, because otherwise all your posts so far boil down to "that's just like your opinion bro".

Lol yes, gameplay design is what defines genres and sub-genres. Survival Horror is a sub-genre of action.
Then please, what are the gameplay conventions of Survival Horror?
Because RE and Amnesia are both considered survival horror, yet the only thing they have in common is trying to be spooky

Machocruz

Arcane

Think about it
What are usually the defining elements of this "genre" - its an inclination for horror elements and tight resource management
But you can find those qualities in all manner of games that aren't traditionally defined as survival horror
And even when looking at examples of classic survival horror games, at the core of their design when stripped of their horror elements, they are essentially part of other game genres - what is resident evil if not a dungeon crawler ; what is penumbra other than an adventure game

It's Capcom's made up term* to describe their horror themed action-adventure game that everyone decided to accept without question as a new genre even though it's Maniac Mansion with combat, more or less. Adventure games had resource scarcity long before Playstation.. They had horror themeing long before. They had backtracking, puzzles, key gating. "Survival horror" is more like slang than a well considered genre label. It was never properly vetted because gaming has a democratic, participation award mentality where all opinions are equally valid, with no respected authority or institutions to settle the matter.

Really, I find the opposite
Never had as much trouble landing jumps even in Super Mario's Lost Levels as I've had with making certain acrobacies in Mirror's Edge

Never had that problem in that particular game, but I agree there are exceptions. I face planted a few times in Dying Light, Tomb Raider, Sands of Time series. But most 3D platformers don't have the rigor of even a mid tier 2D game like Cool Spot, and almost none of the mascot ones, which are considered by many to be representive of the genre.

*Edit - I wouldn't even say it was to describe the game, just part of a line of ominous sounding text to set the mood.

Ash

Arcane
DJOGaymer: Nah it's not just your opinion, bro. It's your worthless opinion. :smug:

If you didn't play the wide variety of greats of the 90s we're simply on another plane of standards.

Since when is amnesia considered survival horror? Genre labels lose meaning when people throw it at any old game, which is all that happens these days. I gave up defending standards defined by the old classics in this regard. e.g when people started labelling Gone Home or Gas Station Simulator an "immersive sim", well they're the complete opposite. How many games are tagged "Metroidvania" simply because they're a side-scroller? The masses don't know shit.

Also I very specifically broke down gameplay concepts that defines survival horror in another thread way back. I'll see if I can find it.

It's Capcom's made up term to describe their horror themed action-adventure game that everyone decided to accept without question as a new genre even though it's Maniac Mansion with combat, more or less. Adventure games had resource scarcity long before Playstation.. They had horror themeing long before. They had backtracking, puzzles, key gating. "Survival horror" is more like slang than a well considered genre label. It was never properly vetted because gaming has a democratic, participation award mentality where all opinions are equally valid, with no respected authority and institutions to settle the matter.

Lol everything is a made-up term. Don't start getting retarded on me. Combat alone changes things considerably, by the way. It makes clearing or not clearing paths a concern. It makes ammo management a thing. It makes big scary boss fights a thing, different to normal encounters. It makes thorough exploration and secret hunting outside of objectives a thing (unless the objectives are so vague as to demand such thoroughness). And much more.

There is a very obvious need to have these labels to separate them from other, very different games, defined by gameplay. Walking sims with puzzles (Amnesia) shouldn't be in the same category as games like Resident Evil.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Nah it's not just your opinion, bro. It's your worthless opinion. :smug:
Says the guy that unironically thinks Sekiro's combat is good :smug:

If you didn't play the wide variety of greats of the 90s
What are the 90's greats that no game after 2000 compares to exactly?

Since when is amnesia considered survival horror?
Since the moment the first footage for the game was revealed dumbass
It's a spiritual successor to Penumbra after all

It's Capcom's made up term* to describe their horror themed action-adventure game that everyone decided to accept without question as a new genre even though it's Maniac Mansion with combat, more or less. Adventure games had resource scarcity long before Playstation.. They had horror themeing long before. They had backtracking, puzzles, key gating. "Survival horror" is more like slang than a well considered genre label. It was never properly vetted because gaming has a democratic, participation award mentality where all opinions are equally valid, with no respected authority or institutions to settle the matter.
Lol everything is a made-up term. Don't start getting retarded on me. Combat alone changes things considerably, by the way. It makes clearing or not clearing paths a concern. It makes ammo management a thing. It makes big scary boss fights a thing. It makes thorough exploration outside of objectives a thing (unless the objectives are so vague as to demand such thoroughness). And much more.
Survival Horror must have combat, resource management and horror elements?
Ok, then Resident Evil 6 is also Survival Horror
And Demon's Souls
And even Subnautica

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Then please, what are the gameplay conventions of Survival Horror?
Because RE and Amnesia are both considered survival horror, yet the only thing they have in common is trying to be spooky

Found it:

Ash said:
And yes, for those that don't get it: "survival horror" is distinct from "action horror" or just "horror". It does need survival elements more involved than simply hiding from the monster in a closet, yet also can't be all-in action. Emphasis on survival via gameplay design is key. Every horror game (and most games in general) revolve around survival, but the survival horror places unique emphasis in it. Just like the somewhat newly popular "survival" (singular) genre where there is no horror, but the whole thing is entirely focused around survival. Games such as ARK: Survival Evolved.

"Survival Horror" label makes perfect sense to distinguish the :obviously: from the shit horror games e.g 20 minute jumpscare walking sim horror games with zero gameplay, as well as to distinguish from the action-horror and any other subgenre. It is a distinct style of design and therefore needs a tag. You know, for when people want to discuss it, or seek out other games like it (play Darkwood you fucks).

Examples of special survival emphasis via gameplay design:

-Very limited inventory space. Pick and choose what is optimal for your survival. No walking tanks here, walking via tank controls aside.
-Enemies that reward little to nothing, only cost precious resources to remove. Therefore, sometimes avoidance or hiding in a closet like a pussy is best.
-Restrictive game saving :obviously::obviously::obviously:
-Very stingy resource distribution.
-Need to scavenge and craft makeshift tools to survive like a fucking caveman.
-Limitations to player control, usually at least in the form of slow movement speed, so you can't overcome all challenges with raw dodging skill.
-NEW: Action is infrequent, but enemies hit hard and you don't have many means of healing or killing them. This makes every encounter more terrifying and impactful.

Stop being a dumbass.

So, it shares similarities to the survival genre, but it still needs to be distinct to indicate the type of game it is. The survival genre has you chopping down trees, building bases and shit. We need its tag to be distinct too...so I know to avoid them. I don't want that type of survival gameplay, I want RE style survival gameplay + solid focused tricky level design, puzzle elements, and good emphasis on horror (which factors into gameplay itself, like taking it slow fearing what could be around the corner).

RE5 isn't survival horror. It's action horror, even if it shares some similarities with survival horror. Cmon dudes this shit is easy to grasp.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
-Very limited inventory space. Pick and choose what is optimal for your survival. No walking tanks here, walking via tank controls aside.
-Enemies that reward little to nothing, only cost precious resources to remove. Therefore, sometimes avoidance or hiding in a closet like a pussy is best.
-Restrictive game saving :obviously::obviously::obviously:
-Very stingy resource distribution.
-Need to scavenge and craft makeshift tools to survive like a fucking caveman.
-Limitations to player control, usually at least in the form of slow movement speed, so you can't overcome all challenges with raw dodging skill.
You're bullshiting your way into making Resident Evil the only game in existence that can be considered Survival Horror

Still, even by those parameters (except restrictive saving, but that can be done away with player imposed challenges), these following games can be considered Survival Horror :
- Thief
- Subnautica
- System Shock
- Ultima underworld

shit, now thinking about it even Unfortunate Spacemen fits the bill despite being online multiplayer :lol:

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane

Lol everything is a made-up term. Don't start getting retarded on me. Combat alone changes things considerably, by the way. It makes clearing or not clearing paths a concern. It makes ammo management a thing. It makes big scary boss fights a thing, different to normal encounters. It makes thorough exploration and secret hunting outside of objectives a thing (unless the objectives are so vague as to demand such thoroughness). And much more.

There is a very obvious need to have these labels to separate them from other, very different games, defined by gameplay. Walking sims with puzzles (Amnesia) shouldn't be in the same category as games like Resident Evil.
Ok, replace made-up with unnecessary, redundant, incidental, accidental, irrelevant, or whatever.

Yes combat changes things...compared to point and click adventures, text adventures, graphical adventures, etc. But that doesn't necessarily make it a new thing, it shifts it over to Action-Adventure, a diverse hybrid genre (or subgenre) which can and has accommodated all the principles you listed. There was nothing there that demanded yet another genre or subgenre to be created. If someone really cares about getting into the granular differences between games within a genre, then they will take the time to actually describe what the individual game is doing instead of being a lazy lima bean. It's not the job of genre to be specific.

Anyway, this is merely academic and that comment wasn't directed at you in any way.. People are free to call a game whatever they want, and people are free to go along or not. I know what you mean when you use the term and I don't really have a problem with it. And I also know you know your game history, so don't tell me you can't see how they fall under the wider and well-established AA umbrella (pun not intended, but I am a genius that way). The zoomers on Reddit and Yoube stay confused about how to categorize games because they don't know anything that came before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom