Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Post-decline gems

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Well we don't seem to have any Thumper fans to refute your claims
So I guess that settles it

Sekiro is the best rythm game ever!

:positive:

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Well it's kinda hard to argue against it lol
what do you mean? I'm not a big souls player so I was curious as it seemed the parry mechanic was the only thing really different. And I guess his robo arm but not sure if that counts.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
how is sekiro's combat any different from any other souls game?
The possibility of different builds in souls games expands gameplay possibilties
That is the most pronunced distinction

Look there is alot to be said on this topic of what makes a melee combat system good and why sekiro isn't that good
But fundamentally the reason why I joke Sekiro is a "rythm game" is because Sekiro's combat is designed in a way that makes it impossible (or at least higly punishing) for the player to be the one "driving" the combat - i.e. you are always reacting to enemies and never the one leading the fight

The game is fun and unique among From's catalogue, but its combat is not that of an hack 'n' slash - it just does things to differently

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Of course there is more to the game than DDR with noh music and calling it a rythm game is a bit of a joke, but it's a good one since the game is great anyway, it can take it. If you play it you will understand the comparison. Also the game is not very much like traditional souls games past superficial stuff ("bonfires", respawning enemies, death penalties, sekrit "quests"), it has quite a bit of Tenshu in there.

Sekiro's combat is designed in a way that makes it impossible (or at least higly punishing) for the player to be the one "driving" the combat - i.e. you are always reacting to enemies and never the one leading the fight
Don't agree there, I found that Sekiro ultimately rewards active aggression more than other souls games.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
yeah I did play Sekiro for a bit but I dislike dark, gloomy games in general so I never made it far in any Souls game.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
PS1 had of note:

Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
BRAHMA Force
Duke Nukem 3D
Alien Trilogy
Descent
Descent 2
Exhumed/Powerslave
Quake 2
Disruptor
Hexen

PS1 was an awful system for this type of PC-centric shooters. All these ports offer an inferior gaming experience.
:roll:

Fake news. Games that were originally designed and played as keyboard-only shooters (the majority here) played just fine. A d-pad and numkeys are functionally the same (well, d-pad is better).
Games that transitioned to mouselooking (Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 2), THOSE played markedly worse, though were perfectly adequate for those that may not have had a PC. I owned both of these on PC, PS, and N64, so I actually know what the fuck I am talking about. I wouldn't always have access to the family PC and was interested in version differences anyway.
Once again I need to educate: most of these games were originally played by almost everyone with the keyboard-only. NO MOUSE. A mouse was not a common household item in the early-mid 1990s, and these games weren't even programmed for full mouselooking anyway, so at best you'd just get mouselooking on one axis if you did try. Early FPS was sub-optimal in this regard, but at the end of the day functional. Just as it was functional if not more comfortable on PS.

Furthermore, it's irrelevant you faggot. We were talking about PS1 vs PS2. Generally, all games play markedly better on PC. You can tweak them, mod them, play with multiple forms of input mouse controller joystick whatever. Generally, you can do anything a PS1 or a PS2 could do and more.

Not all of these are even ports, but unique experiences. Brahma Force in particular is a very impressive game, and plays extremely well. I just discovered it a couple weeks ago and it is a total hidden gem of the 90s: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...t-prestigious-game-you-never-heard-of.148879/

When it comes to the ports, for one I'd pick the PSX version of Doom over vanilla PC Doom. Only with sourceports and mods does PC doom become obscenely superior. Otherwise I prefer the horror atmosphere of the PS version, not to mention no quicksave faggotry for pussies. INB4 people that have never played it tell me how wrong I am.

Stop being a massive ignoramus.

How can you prefer the mediocre Dawn of Dreams over the best Onimusha, which is Onimusha 2?
Now that's a mediocre game.
All of those that aren't PSX originals are mouse games (or maybe joystick in the case of Descent). Doesn't matter if you played the game on a toaster back in 1893. And yes you are wrong WTF kind of retarded shit take is that? PSX Doom is clearly inferior for the simple fact that it's on the PSX and isn't the original. Fuck your sourceports and mods, too. INB4 people that have never played Doom on MS-DOS tell me how wrong I am. Oh wait they won't because nobody cares about PSX Doom as anything more than that special curiosity with the spooky soundtrack. Shove your consoles up your ass already, if you love them so much. That's right, all of them at once.

TheCumGuzzler

Novice
Well don't seem to have any Thumper fans to refute your claims
So I guess that settles it

Sekiro is the best rythm game ever
how is sekiro's combat any different from any other souls game? the only thing is the parry mechanic

Probably because it is the most skill-based combat of any FromSoftware games

I'd argue it's the easiest, there's no skill in memorizing a bunch of attacks and clicking one button to just parry automatically.
And no, the big fucking red warning that tells you to dodge forward or jump based on the sword glow doesn't require skill.
Sure you could do a bunch of combat arts or whatever, I never felt the need to though.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
PS1 had of note:

Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
BRAHMA Force
Duke Nukem 3D
Alien Trilogy
Descent
Descent 2
Exhumed/Powerslave
Quake 2
Disruptor
Hexen

PS1 was an awful system for this type of PC-centric shooters. All these ports offer an inferior gaming experience.
:roll:

Fake news. Games that were originally designed and played as keyboard-only shooters (the majority here) played just fine. A d-pad and numkeys are functionally the same (well, d-pad is better).
Games that transitioned to mouselooking (Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 2), THOSE played markedly worse, though were perfectly adequate for those that may not have had a PC. I owned both of these on PC, PS, and N64, so I actually know what the fuck I am talking about. I wouldn't always have access to the family PC and was interested in version differences anyway.
Once again I need to educate: most of these games were originally played by almost everyone with the keyboard-only. NO MOUSE. A mouse was not a common household item in the early-mid 1990s, and these games weren't even programmed for full mouselooking anyway, so at best you'd just get mouselooking on one axis if you did try. Early FPS was sub-optimal in this regard, but at the end of the day functional. Just as it was functional if not more comfortable on PS.

Furthermore, it's irrelevant you faggot. We were talking about PS1 vs PS2. Generally, all games play markedly better on PC. You can tweak them, mod them, play with multiple forms of input mouse controller joystick whatever. Generally, you can do anything a PS1 or a PS2 could do and more.

Not all of these are even ports, but unique experiences. Brahma Force in particular is a very impressive game, and plays extremely well. I just discovered it a couple weeks ago and it is a total hidden gem of the 90s: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...t-prestigious-game-you-never-heard-of.148879/

When it comes to the ports, for one I'd pick the PSX version of Doom over vanilla PC Doom. Only with sourceports and mods does PC doom become obscenely superior. Otherwise I prefer the horror atmosphere of the PS version, not to mention no quicksave faggotry for pussies. INB4 people that have never played it tell me how wrong I am.

Stop being a massive ignoramus.

How can you prefer the mediocre Dawn of Dreams over the best Onimusha, which is Onimusha 2?
Now that's a mediocre game.
All of those that aren't PSX originals are mouse games (or maybe joystick in the case of Descent). Doesn't matter if you played the game on a toaster back in 1893. And yes you are wrong WTF kind of retarded shit take is that? PSX Doom is clearly inferior for the simple fact that it's on the PSX and isn't the original. Fuck your sourceports and mods, too. INB4 people that have never played Doom on MS-DOS tell me how wrong I am. Oh wait they won't because nobody cares about PSX Doom as anything more than that special curiosity with the spooky soundtrack. Shove your consoles up your ass already, if you love them so much. That's right, all of them at once.
:excellent:

Spike

Educated
sekiro=total lowbrow shit for cringepeddlers
Sorry you got filtered.

Post post-decline gems instead of pages upon pages of people sperging out over some shit.
Okay. Not sure if they're "hidden" gems but everything that Team Ninja has been making. Dragon's Dogma is a standout within the past 20 years as well. But these aren't obscure at all. I already said A Hat in Time which is a little lesser known and one you might not expect to be really fun, which it is. Divinity II: Developer's Cut from 2009. Man, this is difficult...Plenty of CRPGs. Hard to Be a God (2007).

EDIT: Project Zomboid. There are quite a lot of indie-level games that are well worth your while. They have been covered pretty well here but I will also include, in general, that I really enjoyed Ziggurat. Also, true gems as well: Zeno Clash 1 and 2. Clash: Artifacts of Chaos also looks really good. And One More Dungeon 2. Hi-Fi Rush. Exanima when it releases after my third grandchild is born (I am currently not married). Not sure how I forgot this, one of my favorite games ever: Outward. By baguette devs who purposely make games for themselves, i.e. "sophisticated" (dev's words) gamers who know what they want. Nine Dots is the studio. Super cool dudes.

Last edited:

v01

Novice
My list:

Fallout: New Vegas
Dark Souls
Risen
The Witcher
Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
ELEX
Subnautica
Battle Brothers
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Days Gone
Expeditions: Viking
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Metro Exodus
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Disco Elysium
VISUAL REPRESENTATION SELECTION of PORKYTHEPALADIN's POST-DECLINE GEMS
mosaic6a71ab7ebdb72ee6e9fdf22ca7d81ca6ed237263.jpg

v01

Novice
v01
mosaic7ac760831668bbc43c8970a9f15bd8f188106ba1.jpg

edit:
Dead Rising
Crysis

Kamiwaza

Deception IV: Nightmare Princess

Splatoon

Genesis Rising

DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy

Super Mario Maker

The Experiment

Last edited:

v01

Novice
Gathering all the post-decline gems will allow Porky to temporarily gain incredible abilities of incline!

He is, what we in the business call, an artistic person. However, for the purposes of any eventual tallies, an addendum in text form is best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom