Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post a screenshot of your first RPG

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Faery Tale Adventure

faery-tale-adventure_2s.jpg

pippin

exile_shot.gif

Now I remember the first "true rpg" I've ever played, western made and in the Codexian definition. It was Exile: Escape from the Pit. My english was quite basic at the time, so I didn't understood what was going on most of the time. But I managed to complete a few combat instances here and there, do some quests, etc. I was surprised at the fact that you actually had to control more than one character.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
My first time was on a ZX Spectrum:

Bloodwych_in-game_screenshot_%28ZX_Spectrum%29.png
Wow! Bloodwych! That's also the first one I had installed at home, on my PC XT . Spent dozens of hours on it, even playing two parties in split seen mode with a friend, (It had a game-breaking bug so I did not finish it.)

I had no idea there was a Spectrum version...

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
exile_shot.gif

Now I remember the first "true rpg" I've ever played, western made and in the Codexian definition. It was Exile: Escape from the Pit. My english was quite basic at the time, so I didn't understood what was going on most of the time. But I managed to complete a few combat instances here and there, do some quests, etc. I was surprised at the fact that you actually had to control more than one character.

Broken link! :x

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
The Faery Tale Adventure

faery-tale-adventure_2s.jpg

One of my first games on my shiny new Amiga - now I'll never get the music out of my head for the rest of the day. I never considered it a RPG at the time - although you could probably get away with the designation these days. What version is that? A remake or an artistic touch up? Incidentally, I played it so much I can still remember the security protection rhyme.

Of course, mine is this, on the glorious Commodore 64:

153588-ultima-iv-quest-of-the-avatar-commodore-64-screenshot-title.png

Mercifully it banishes the Faery Tale music like an iron hammer bludgeoning a duckling. Unfortunately, every other RPG has been a subsequent disappointment. :(

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
One of my first games on my shiny new Amiga - now I'll never get the music out of my head for the rest of the day. I never considered it a RPG at the time - although you could probably get away with the designation these days. What version is that? A remake or an artistic touch up? Incidentally, I played it so much I can still remember the security protection rhyme.

I played it on the Amiga 500. Not sure which version the screenshot is from, I chose it more or less on random.

Of course, mine is this, on the glorious Commodore 64:

153588-ultima-iv-quest-of-the-avatar-commodore-64-screenshot-title.png

Mercifully it banishes the Faery Tale music like an iron hammer bludgeoning a duckling. Unfortunately, every other RPG has been a subsequent disappointment. :(

Sentiment shared. Thankfully, for those of us who enjoyed the Ultima series, there's hope in the horizon.

hivemind

564405-545006_20040506_010.jpg

Gifted to me by a friend when I finally got a computer. He also showed me some spellforce and prince of Persia games but those were boring shite compared to this.

I had to be like between 8 or 9, maybe 10 at most.

I remember that I never even managed to kill the final boss, might have to redownload it one of these days to fix that.

Dedup

Augur
I played Temple of Apshai on my cousin's C64 back when I was a dumb kid who didn't even know what an rpg was. I never really knew what I was doing in the game, just thought it was fun.
254442-dunjonquest-temple-of-apshai-commodore-64-screenshot-mosquito.png

Years later I got my first computer and got into adventure games. A friend of mine suggested Hero's Quest which remains one of my all time favorite games.
url

Hero's Quest eventually led me to Pool of Radiance which became my other all time favorite game and my first true crpg.
Pool_of_Radiance-1.jpg

Shin

Cipher
rogue-801.gif

Back then I didn't know wtf was going on (still don't actually). And it's not that I'm that old, I played this on my grandpa's PC (yeah he was real oldskool, bless his soul). My first non-roguelike RPG is probably RoA3.

Alchemist

Arcane
It's been so long ago, I can't precisely remember. But it was either one of these:

Rogue (DOS version from Epyx)
sGFhj35.gif

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (in glorious 4-color CGA graphics)
mK8xTNq.jpg

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
267501-fall_008_super.png

I'll admit playing Daggerfall in such a young age was such a traumatizing experience that I went away from RPGs for a while. But then...

play-fallout-1-on-windows-7.png

I remember playing the demo and being in awe. I fell in love with turn-based gaming and RPGs instantly

Art Vandelay

Prophet
I think it was Champions of Krynn on Amiga,don't really remember playing any memorable rpg on C64. It was also the first game i was completely mesmerized with,played it all night,till 6 am,when i created my 1st party :)
223177-champions-of-krynn-amiga-screenshot-game-start.png

Last edited:

Brancaleone

Prophet
Is Eye Of The Beholder 3 THAT bad? I never played it (it never came to Amiga) but 1 & 2 were very good.
Well, I was a kid when I played it (a few years after it came out), and I was just coming from Monkey Island 2, Golden Axe (the PC version) and Crime Wave by Access Software, so EoB3 to me made just no sense. I've tried playing it again a few years ago, and it really is not very good at all.

I think it is not a coincidence that blobbers are my least favourite kind of Rpg's, must have been the trauma-imprinting by EoB3.

Zeronet

Learned
Castlevania_2_-_NES_-_Forest.png
tumblr_inline_nfik88lD6N1skt5az.jpg

One of these 'RPGs', no clue which one.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom