Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Polygon reports on Might & Magic X Legacy at PAX East, game to be released in September

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
im replaying it for a ... shit i cant even remember how many times before.. and its a bliss compared to the shit that we get nowadays
I don't share that opinion. :)

UnknownBro

Savant
I was looking at those last screenshots... and they look quite generic and cartoony, it looks like a facebook game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I was looking at those last screenshots... and they look quite generic and cartoony, it looks like a facebook game.

screen_1.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Early MM had charm, though. MMX looks like Grimrock 2.0.

Also the limited palette and low res pretty much mandated a more colourful whimsical look. But as Stabby says, any foo' can make cartoony colourful graphics, but few could give them character and make them seem as 'natural'(as opposed to 'whee, eveything is cutesy with big heads and doe eyes and technocolor')as devs in the old days could.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I honestly would love some developer to attempt a 256 color old school crpg. The art from those days was just fucking beautiful. <3

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't see it, especially not in Xeen.
I consider Lands of Lore beautiful, though.

trotof

Educated
Look at that all American square jawed hero on the left. What a specimen! I wonder who he was modeled after?
Boss from Jagged Alliance (released 3 years later) looks kinda similar.
jWhzgDb.png

They both remind of John Rambo.

grdja

Augur
From what I remember (sadly mostly from other people playing them, never got any M&M to work well and for longer than 10 minutes on any of my computers, they were either too slow for the game and lacked one driver or other, or it was long past the time of the games and before dosbox and virtual machines) after the SF-ish tones had mostly disappeared for most time in 7 and 8 they did look like generic fantasy. Not as generic as worlds made for HoMM 5 and 6 and with that for MMX.

Gozma

Arcane
I imagine there is some Ubisoft person trying to groom their generic videogame fantasy world into being a valuable IP Middle Earth with continuity and static geography etc. It's a little disappointing but not as disappointing as gameplay stuff could be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom