Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Polygon reports on Might & Magic X Legacy at PAX East, game to be released in September

Lord Andre

Arcane
Many people are saying the graphics are similar to older iterations of the series. To me it looks similar to M&M9 - low budget, unimaginitive, minimalistic hogwash.

But the deal breaker has to be the step based movement. Unless you're a poor, poor indie developer that's scrounging for cash and ways to cut costs, there is no reason whatsoever to implement step-based movement in 2013. None. There is not, and there will never be, a single instant where step-based is superior to free roam from a gameplay perspective. Never ever.

Now, I can tolerate step-based if I know the developer didn't have a choice, like Cleve for example, but I will not tolerate it from Ubisoft. Fuck Ubisoft. Making a mockery of the series with this low-budget vaporware cash grab attempt.
grid based > free roaming

Anytime, anywhere. Kindly take your retarded "it was only used due to technological limitations which we have solved already" argument somewhere else.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. And for the record this is not the first time I've noticed you being a retard so the feeling is mutual.

Anyway, I wonder if there will be a gameplay difference between expert and master or it's just a label that changes as you dump points into the skill.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will we be able to levitate in this? No modern cRPGs have this option anymore...

I don't think levitate/jump/fly are going to be in. Maybe water walking and telekinesis with actual use if we are lucky.
I think last game we used levitate was Risen 1.

Mortmal

Arcane
DA:O: 40 hours (15 hours for just the main quest)
Fallout 3: 30 hours (10 hours for just the main quest)
Mass Effect: 30 hours (more if you are a retard who likes scanning planets)

Now why did we stop handing out dumbfuck tags again?

25 hours of potentially good old skool blobber gameplay v.s. 300+ hours of eating shit in Skyturd. Which is better and why?

You can say what you want about bethesda games but they take 80+ up to 160 for skyrim in rpgcodex steam group. As for bioware games i remember them,especially a designer on bio forums, justifying the shorter life span compared to classic rpgs and jrpgs by the fact they remove filler combat... Did bioware really removed filler combat ? I dont think ,so far from it .

25 hours for a blobber is ridiculous, have a look on modern japanese blobbers , it certainly took me a lot more than 25 hours to finish devil survivor, etrian odissey , dark spire , those DS games did not have a collossal budget either . I cant believe people here defending that .

Well, firstly, I'd say the hour count hardly ever said anything meaningful about an RPG, unless it's given at least some context. To give only a few obvious examples, for a (semi-) open world game, do you count the main quest or the amount of time an obsessive fan (cf. commie's devotion to lawn mowing Fallout 3) takes to complete every side quest? Do you count only one playthrough for a highly replayable game like Fallout, or even for a game where replaying is basically a necessity and gives you an almost completely different main storyline, like AoD, or just go with the face value of around 20 hours? Do you take skill/experience into account (at age 12 and being too lazy to map, Dungeon Master took me 60+ hours to complete; last time I played it it was under 10)?

Secondly, Isles of Terra is my personal favourite in the series and the last time I replayed it a few months ago, it actually took around 25 hours (certainly no more than 30) -- with optional quests and without rushing anything at all, but also without having to learn the interface, and with understanding of how the buffing system works (and a druid in the party). Without knowing what formula they used in estimating the playtime for X, 25 hours could be anything from mildly disappointing to pretty satisfying. The things I'm worried about are core mechanics that made the original games fun and which zomg is perfectly spot-on about in his posts, rather than hour counts, shared inventories or enemy models.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
25 hours for a blobber is ridiculous, have a look on modern japanese blobbers , it certainly took me a lot more than 25 hours to finish devil survivor, etrian odissey , dark spire , those DS games did not have a collossal budget either . I cant believe people here defending that .

Do you judge a movie by the length? A book by how many pages there are in it?

I would much rather buy an excellent EP than a full album of filler songs, myself.

Once you know more about the quality of those hours in the game - and the pricing - then you can start making arguments.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder what "Awards" is.. Was that in the other M&M? I don't remember anything from them.
Well they had something simmilar. For instance in WOX I remember that you could get the title of 'Crusader' after doing a quest, which granted you access to a castle.
I thought it was some kind of an achievement system..

Well 6-7-8 had a tab in character screen that lists your accomplishments, guild memberships, arena victories so that can be something like that.

Gozma

Arcane
I missed it, where are we getting "no trainers"? That is disastrous if true. I was hoping the level up powers shit was combat only and the normal chain of travel abilities (like swimming, mountaineering, etc) would still be there at least. And hopefully you still need to find the spells somewhere instead of just getting them for putting points in shit at level up too, or that will be another M&M boner lost when you don't get to find Lloyd's Magic Beacon in the middle of nowhere and transform the game

MM3-5 all have an "awards" thing, usually titles you get for doing stuff like the town quests in Clouds of Xeen that turn on the fountains.

Luzur

Good Sir
this makes me kinda sad though:

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/univ...ails-news.aspx?c=tcm:21-88445&ct=tcm:6-231-32

i remember a time when you had to fight your way down through hordes of Demons and whatnot and take a swig from the fountain deep in the bowels of the Maze From Hell to become one, now all you need is a card from PAX.
Visit PAX is worse, bro. But worry not, kind Ubisoft will no doubt allow you to brave the horrors of online payment gateways, dispatching foul data entry fields with your father's credit card. Adventure!

if only my dad would allow me to play online games on his creditcard, nowadays i have to use my own. :(

also day one pirate here.

made

Arcane
Grid-based inventory and paperdolls? Already massive incline over old M&Ms. xD

Mortmal

Arcane

Do you judge a movie by the length? A book by how many pages there are in it?

I would much rather buy an excellent EP than a full album of filler songs, myself.

Once you know more about the quality of those hours in the game - and the pricing - then you can start making arguments.

I dont care of pricing, what i want to be delivered is something like world of xeen, i want both quantity and quality, not an half assed attempt of 25 hours .

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Rock Paper Shotgun said:
Not to be confused with the far superior Heroes Of Might & Magic games, the Might & Magic series became an increasingly terrible run of first-person RPGs, set in the blandly generic fantasy worlds, always somehow managing to feel about five years behind the rest of the industry. After the first five or so, throughout the late 90s and early 00s the four-people-in-your-party games ever-increasingly disappointed, finally finishing with the absolutely awful M&M IX in 2002.

It was such a spectacularly rubbish game, trying to “update” itself by embracing the Lithtech engine (remember that?), but still trying to be an RPG. The result meant you no longer had a cursor for clicking on the screen, but instead were stuck with a centred reticule, making a game that needed you to be able to click on the four different characters a miserable experience. But its, and many of the games before, biggest crime was blandness.

So it is with a grin on my face that I see Ubisoft are announcing the game (because of course former publishers 3DO are long gone) as following on from the events of Might & Magic Heroes VI. Because then that way the previous games didn’t happen!

:troll:

Arkeus

Arcane
Well, most of this is good i think. Seems the game might be longer than 25hrs, depending on how big/small the dungeons are. Really glad that they kept the 'completely free and nonlinear" element.

While there is no general trainer, at least there are skill trainers, which was really the most important of the two.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Skill training is still in, that's good. No sci-fi elements though? :x Hopefully there is a glorious 3D spaceship of some sort at the end.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yeah and look at the latest impressions where the guy mentions 23 dungeons. So that's a dungeon per hour tops, probably for retards. People raised on these games would go through quicker no doubt. Maybe for a 'My first crawler' it's ok, shoveled together with some audio shooters and shadow puppet platformers in a Humble Indie Bundle,but as a godly successor to M&M?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
From the reddit link: I played the demo at PAX yesterday and talked to the lead dev. Heres the info I garnered:​

• Plays more like the pre-mandate of heaven games with a grid style movement system instead of free roam.
  • there are 12 classes (didn't tell me what they were) and then "advanced" classes for each of them. I suppose this is like the system in 6-7-8 where you do a quest to promote from a Knight to a Champion or whatever.
  • there will be 23 dungeons.
  • aiming for september release
  • there is no training. When you level up you just get your skill points then and there.
  • You still will level your skills and have to train to expert, master, and grand master. Expert and master you just go find the trainer and pay gold when you have the necessary skill points, and for grandmaster there will be a quest.
  • It will be totally non-linear after the initial area where it teaches you how to play. Kind of like 7, where you were confined to the island until you completed the first quest.
  • In the demo you never had more than 2-3 monsters at a time. I asked if this is representative of the whole game, and he said "it depends on the level. Sometimes you will be surrounded, sometimes it is just a few more powerful enemies." Was kind of vague.
  • The movement is like Grimrock, but Grimrock was still a real time game. This is turn based 100% of the time, which imo makes the combat much more interesting.
  • There is a skill bar, but its not like WoW or other MMOs where you have special attacks... the abilities that were on the skill bar were just melee attack, ranged attack, defend (idk what this did, never used it), and then you can put spells and potions on there too.
  • I looked but didn't see any "self" magics in the skill trees of the characters I had, but I didn't pay attention to what classes I had in my party. its possible I just didn't have a character who could learn them.
  • No blasters / sci-fi elements.
  • There will be hirelings. You can have two in your party at once. They don't fight with you, just provide your party with a bonus. For a price of course.

OK back to cautiously fapping....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom