Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Sales Analysis Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As I said previously, I think SteamSpy takes samples every day. I might be wrong but that is how I think it works.

...So 0.1% margin of error for a game with 0.1% of Steam audience would produce results that are mostly useless. That's why Steam Spy has to gather millions points of data daily to predict games sales and audience. And that's why Steam Spy is often wrong. Not by much, but still wrong...

Why the number of owners for the game is decreasing?
If the decrease is small, it's just the margin of error in action. Don't worry, it's still probably somewhere on that interval. Also, first day results for every game are often botched, so don't pay them too much attention.

But if decrease is huge that's because the game had a free weekend sometime ago. It seems that if user doesn't log in, Steam revokes the license for the game only after quite some time. That's why Steam Spy will see the game as 'owned' even if the user technically never bought it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Congrats to Obsidian for surpassing Wasteland 2's pre-summer sale numbers within three months. :) Now try to overtake its post-sale numbers within the next three.
It might be a temporary glitch, but they did it, they're now ahead of Wasteland 2 (at least up until the DC drops in October). Congratulations, Obsidian..!

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
How much profit do you guys think Obsidian made on PoE?

About 480.000 sales now at a price of let's say 40 euro. Let's say 80.000 backers so 400.000 new sales. That makes 16 million euro.

Instinctively I would say about 50% goes to steam, paradox, marketing etc?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WTF, the game's number of owners went up even more today.

What's going on? Delayed effects of a recent sale on some site somewhere?

Might still go back down after the weekend, though.

Dorateen

Arcane
WTF, the game's number of owners went up even more today.

I finally got around to purchasing and started playing yesterday. It's the Dwarven effect.

pillars.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's back down to 460k today. :P Still over Wasteland 2 though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Still holding on hope that this is actually the glitch.

PoE: Players total: 412,634 ± 16,769 (93.26%)

Wasteland 2: Players total: 407,273 ± 16,660 (89.9%)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's the same players.

Whoever bought one, also bought the other.

Steamspy actually has the stats on this, which may surprise you.

Wasteland 2:

QmAauG0.png

Pillars of Eternity:

FsJZ1FE.png

Only 30% of Wasteland 2 owners also own Pillars of Eternity and vice versa.

Athelas

Arcane
Only 30% of Wasteland 2 owners also own Pillars of Eternity and vice versa.
I wonder if that applies to the Kickstarter backers in equal measure? The answer could make for some interesting insights into Kickstarter campaigns.

Also of note is that D:OS is in the top 10 for PoE (the implication being that it's because both are fantasy RPG's), whereas it isn't for WL2. WL2 on the other hand has more post-apocalyptic games (and has them higher).

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I wonder if that applies to the Kickstarter backers in equal measure? The answer could make for some interesting insights into Kickstarter campaigns.

Kickstarter backers are more likely to be hardcore RPG fans, so the percentage there is almost certainly higher. How much higher is the interesting question.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
It's weird though.

The rest of the games are pretty much the same: Civ V, XCom, TL2, Witcher 2, FNV, Bioshock, FTL...

Wasteland 1 has 50sec playtime (came in a bundle?)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's weird though.

The rest of the games are pretty much the same: Civ V, XCom, TL2, Witcher 2, FNV, Bioshock, FTL...

Wasteland 1 has 50sec playtime (came in a bundle?)

Wasteland 1 is supposed to come included with Wasteland 2. Not sure how some people don't own it, actually.

It's pretty simple though, there are "casual" gamers out there who buy all the popular games, plus one single oldschool RPG. It's good news because it means there's still lots of people out there who could potentially buy any of the others.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Got me curious:

WL2: Playtime total: 36:24 (average) 14:56 (median)

PoE: Playtime total: 34:38 (average) 18:21 (median)

Judging by this, I'll say that a big chunk of buyers didn't finish the games.

They do love their Civ V though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, achievements show that around ~5% of people tend to finish these games. D:OS too.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
It's good news for the industry then.

People throw their money away and don't even play the games that much.

Makes me wonder how did they make money 20 years ago, when most people pirated everything and squeezed out every bit of gameplay from the games they played.

Fry

Arcane
Makes me wonder how did they make money 20 years ago, when most people pirated everything and squeezed out every bit of gameplay from the games they played.

That's just an age thing. When I was younger, I had more time than money. As a functioning adult, I have more money than time. Since a large percentage of the people buying nostalgic RPGs are probably older, it shouldn't be surprising that a lot of them don't finish the games they buy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom