Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Sales Analysis Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are you guys that blinded with your dislike of the game that you can't think rationally anymore? (Well, that has been the case in this discussion so far, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.) Of course they're not going to piss of a large segment of their (future) customer base:

http://www.gamewatcher.com/interviews/pillars-of-eternity-interview/12162
GameWatcher: In terms of additional content for the game, will you be heading down the DLC pack route, which is something Paradox as a publisher is known for, or will you be concentrating on larger expansions?

Josh Sawyer: No, we want to do a traditional expansion, and we’re in the early stages of planning for that right now. Part of the Kickstarter campaign was a full expansion, so we’re definitely doing a Tales of the Sword Coast style campaign. We’re still in the early stages of design for that right now, though. What I would say about additional content other than that, is that I would like to see any gameplay tweaks and changes we make in an expansion get rolled into a free patch. So if you don’t want to buy an expansion, you get all the same gameplay benefits without the extra story.
I doubt fixes for that abortion called Stronghold are going to come with free patch.

imweasel

According to the Steamspy guy, Pillars of Eternity is a good example of a game that hasn't "sunk like a rock": https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/586971699293265924

This is getting pretty ridiculous, guys.
Indeed, two weeks after release, remind me WHEN was released and its actual position on Steam sales chart NOW.

Where do you expect it to be two months after release? Dragonfall: DC sank like a rock ONE DAY after its release. I remember us going "inb4 bankruptcy", but somehow, HBS are doing all right and even expanding. I think Obsidian's gonna be fine, man. :P

EDIT: Here's the post: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...fall-directors-cut.90165/page-38#post-3495584

♪Strawmanitron, Strawmanitron,
Does whatever a straw man maker can
Builds a straw man, any size,
Defends Sawyerism with irellevant cries
Look Out!
Here comes the Strawmanitron!

But seriously, it probably had a lot to do with the fact that everybody who had the Dragonfall expansion got Dragonfall DC for FREE. Look at the players total on Steamspy, over half of the people who own the game haven't even started it up once. I personally haven't played the DC either, only the expansion.

How accurate is Steam Spy?
It is fine as an indication, although the error margin is not very accurate.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Witcher 3 has a higher metacritic score and sold better which empirically means it's a better game and that potato's can design better then Josh Sawyer.

:troll: U Mad?
Sarcasm aside,it is better,even the first Witcher is better than this snore fest and that game had some serious problems in the combat department.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Pah, my disdain for PoE doesn't reach the point of saying Potato-Truck-Simulator is better than PoE. It isn't. At least PoE characters can make a U-turn. \o/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PoE is on sale for 10% off on GOG. Just pointing this out because I believe it's the first time the game has been on sale. I imagine there'll be something similar on Steam very soon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Following the end of the Steam sale, the number of owners on Steamspy is ~430,000. A gain of around 60,000. Divinity is at ~870,000 and Wasteland 2 is at ~460,000. The game's maximum discount was 33%.

Bonerbill

Augur
Or you guys could have just checked out the summer sale second. Of course these numbers may not be accurate compared to the final number

Steamspy.com/sale

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why was D:OS so successful compared to WL2 and PoE?
Polish and moment-to-moment fun.

It's also been out a while longer, don't be surprised if WL2 and PoE are closer to 600-700k by the time they've been out as long as D:OS especially with expansions and director's cuts coming.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why was D:OS so successful compared to WL2 and PoE?
Better marketing push? Worked well for the European market. Good updates. Graphics that appeal to the larger masses? Online play?

Wasteland 2 looks hideous and a lot of people complain that Pillars of Eternity has 2D graphics. RtwP might not appeal to a lot of people these days? I can see many reasons as to why it did better. On the other hand, D: OS has been out for 9 months longer than PoE.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Both of you are probably right to various degrees. I didn't realize the time gap between D:OS and the other two was so great. That plus being traditional fantasy plus the art style were probably the largest contributors to their success. I don't have a good feel for their marketing strategy in Europe vs. US, especially in contrast to PoE and WL2. I expect Paradox knows European video game marketing strategy though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Congrats to Obsidian for surpassing Wasteland 2's pre-summer sale numbers within three months. :) Now try to overtake its post-sale numbers within the next three.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
D:OS also came out during a time when no other releases were really going on. Summer may seem like a poor time for the big guns but for something one of these AA devs puts out it's pretty perfect if the product is at least decent and just dominates the meh market. at least thats what appears to be the case

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom