Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
You're probably right.
I had in mind the rts which is about surviving waves and waves of zombies released recently.
But I don't even know if it sold that well, I just know it had some hype going for it.
edit : they are billions considering how rts don't fare that well, I thought the zombie theme and gameplay associated helped it a great deal.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I really don’t think the problem with the descriptive writing in Deadfire is the style. It’s the content.

Having just reread a bunch of the narration in BG and the non-dialogue text in PS:T, the big difference is that they’re usually describing things that are happening to you/inside your head. When you get description, it’s describing how you feel something or remember something or realize something etc... It’s typically relevant to your character.

In POE and Deadfire the description is usually only relevant to the NPC being described, so who cares?. But that’s not style, which is standard fantasy schlock. For example, I think Deadfire’s prose works just fine when you’re using your watcher powers to read an NPCs memories in conversation. I agree that the “he makes a meaningless hand gesture and scratches his ass” stuff is pointless.

tl;dr I reject the idea that descriptive text is the problem. Where these writers often go wrong it’s in what they choose to describe. That said, this shit is easy enough to skip.
No, the problem is both the style and the content. Contrary to what the writers of both T:ToN and PoE seem to believe, PS:T does not have purple prose. Its descriptions are concise and to the point. BG's prose is more flowery, but it's limited to the chapter transitions, so it never becomes a chore to read.

Compare Deadfire's description of that dwarf:

pLDTAIW.jpg

to Planescape: Torment's description of Deionarra, a ghost and one of the most important characters of the game:

aAxzutV.jpg

Unlike Deadfire, where you get two paragraphs describing a character's smile in autistic detail (even though the portrait already shows him smiling through wrinkled skin), the writing in PS:T is content to mention only the things that would be immediately apparent to someone seeing Deionarra for the first time: her beauty and her posture, with the more flowery language ('ethereal breeze') used sparingly and with the important purpose of conveying her ghostly nature.

TBH, the fact that they use a variant of stir in successive sentences annoys me about that PST screen. An easy thing to fix, so I'm surprised nobody did.

Also, yes, the writing in the intro to deadfire is bad. I tabled it until the balance patch so cannot speak about the rest. When they add the ability to skip that whole segment (hopefully they will), it will cease to be much of an issue.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Valve's Steam weekly top seller list based on revenues (not counting microtransactions).

There are two PoE 2 entries, one is pre-release sales and the other is post-release one. There's no way of knowing which is which.

#10 - Far Cry 5
#9 - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
#8 - Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia
#7 - Stardew Valley
#6 - The Forest
#5 - Frostpunk
#4 - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
#3 - Conan Exiles
#2 - Grand Theft Auto V
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

One thing to watch: how long and high PoE 2 will remain in the chart next weeks.

For comparison:
Battletech - #3/#6 -> #6 -> out
Frostpunk - #2 -> #3 -> #5

The shit is real. Here I naively thought they could hold somewhere between #8~#10.

No Deadfire in last week's Steam top sellers list. It dropped out in the second week.

#10 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
#9 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
#8 - Stardew Valley
#7 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
#6 - The Forest
#5 - House Flipper
#4 - Wizard of Legend
#3 - Grand Theft Auto V
#2 - Conan Exiles
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pretty good review in my book,selling a game on the premise of romance and having not a single wifu is a crime!

Xoti is the "waifu" which just goes to show you the tastes of the tumblr generation. Mutts (I'm an Amerimutt myself, lurking Absurdian employees) with nose piercings who bounce off the walls.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Pretty good review in my book,selling a game on the premise of romance and having not a single wifu is a crime!

Xoti is the "waifu" which just goes to show you the tastes of the tumblr generation. Mutts (I'm an Amerimutt myself, lurking Absurdian employees) with nose piercings who bounce off the walls.
Nope,he was talking about the vampire girl(Ydwin). No self respecting anime fan will chose Xoti.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
These neo-puritans that get triggered by any sort of body modification or dyed hair are very annoying.
And all those abominations that holes than a needle holder should be beaten to almost dead status! All the colourful hair people should be thrown directly in the fire!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
These neo-puritans that get triggered by any sort of body modification or dyed hair are very annoying.
And all those abominations that holes than a needle holder should be beaten to almost dead status! All the colourful hair people should be thrown directly in the fire!

Good luck killing all men and women that wear earrings.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Xoti is like a sweet southern baptist girl (unless you turn her into a serial killer). She’s perfect for the regressive crowd.

How did you transform from a sensible feminist into this? Peer pressure?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nope,he was talking about the vampire girl(Ydwin). No self respecting anime fan will chose Xoti.
Yeah, the one you can't have.

How did you transform from a sensible feminist into this? Peer pressure?
I've never been sensible, and 2012-2014 Roguey was the result of having admiration for the wrong person. Not unlike Chris A having admiration for a guy who never had his back.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Good luck killing all men and women that wear earrings.
:lol: Nah i don't have problem with having some normal accessory,don't like all the people that have like 50 piercings and you can't identify if they are humans or some sort of alien creature. Pink haired people are just sjw shit and are in need of a nice purge. Also i don't have problem with tattoos,even thinking of get a nice cross ;).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Unlike Deadfire, where you get two paragraphs describing a character's smile in autistic detail (even though the portrait already shows him smiling through wrinkled skin), the writing in PS:T is content to mention only the things that would be immediately apparent to someone seeing Deionarra for the first time: her beauty and her posture, with the more flowery language ('ethereal breeze') used sparingly and with the important purpose of conveying her ghostly nature.

You slowly press your meaty appendage into the first keystroke of your paragraph. The texture of your keyboard feels smooth, a slight indentation where a sticker might of been placed long ago. The sensation of friction and force rushes through your finger like several prickly nerves shooting up electrons across your body, your form shuttering slightly, the loud 'CLICK' of that heavy button as the mechanical part whirls and gasps from your power - then... silence..

As you slowly get your bearings, you lift your fingernail off the 'U' key and with steadfast determination drag your steady hand over the 'n' key.

FreeKaner

:lol: Nah i don't have problem with having some normal accessory,don't like all the people that have like 50 piercings and you can't identify if they are humans or some sort of alien creature. Pink haired people are just sjw shit and are in need of a nice purge. Also i don't have problem with tattoos,even thinking of get a nice cross ;).

So you are just hypocritical and inconsistent?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

So you are just hypocritical and inconsistent?
Hmmm i just have things that i like and things that i don't like. I am not that insane to want the death of all people with artificial holes in their skin. Why are you nitpicking?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've never been sensible, and 2012-2014 Roguey was the result of having admiration for the wrong person.
:updatedmytxt:
Geee he got back stabbed by a sjw chick,i am surprised that he didn't join the local KKK club house ;) .
That is pretty normal thou,i know a few guys that were very liberal until they hit 25. After that the reality sets in and make you realise how insane those people are.

FreeKaner

Hmmm i just have things that i like and things that i don't like. I am not that insane to want the death of all people with artificial holes in their skin. Why are you nitpicking?

You are fine with body modifications in the form of tattoos and earrings but you get triggered from nose piercings and dyed hair, really? Your position seems to come from knowing "SJWs" rather than having a problem with piercings or dyes themselves. I.E you didn't have an opinion on either piercings or hair dyes until you found out some fat ugly sjws have them now by association you hate the modifications also.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Roguey so who’s to blame for your current outlook?

I’m not trying to be a dick here, but changing your whole worldview because you idolize someone and then changing it again because you now vilify that same person doesn’t sound too healthy. Also, anyone whose favored class is rogue clearly has some unresolved issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom