Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

"Should we be splitting up? What if the beast appears here? Two people will not be enough to stop it."

Cormac likes to hang to the rear, but would not like to be last.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, unless the situation demands otherwise, I guess the Bard n' Barbarian will take the lead, followed by Rhenmyr and Ker Gwez, and then Cormac and Urash?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fidach shakes his head at Cormac, "The beast has never been seen during the day." He looks up at the heavy cloud-filled sky above, "Doesn't look much past mid-morning laddie. If you all haven't returned by the time sun sets, then I'd say it won't matter much one way or another. If you fail to return, it'll fall to Oona and I to do what we can." He smiles a bit, but it doesn't reach his eyes.

Cormac shrugs his shoulders in response to Fidach's comment. "I hope you are right and the beast avoids the daylight. It was frightening enough to face with our large group. "

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't mind scouting ahead if the need arises, but Eryfkrad's lineup looks good to me.

"Lets begin our search. The sun won't wait for us."

L'ennui

Magister
ERYFKRAD's arrangement is as good as squishy Urash can hope for.

"One is reminded of the hallowed funeral chambers of Agamar. With less sand, gold, scorpions and hyenas, of course. Hum... anyhow."

Urash takes out a torch, adjusts his backpack's straps on his shoulders and is ready to go.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Water skins filled, Rhenmyr joins Urash by the entrance and waits for the expedition to begin.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The archway is simply built, made of massive upright granite blocks nearly six feet wide and ten feet tall. A lintel stone of roughly the same dimension spans between them and appears to be under load from the weight of the hillside. Set into the arch is massive, seamless granite plug. Intricate geometric patterns are carved all over its surface and it appears to be fully intact.

Brule speaks up, "See, just as it was the last time I saw it several months back. The seal is intact. "

L'ennui

Magister
Pointing at the lintel stone, Urash opines:

"I wonder if that will hold when we remove the plug. Perhaps we should prop it up with some logs from the bridge we passed on our way here?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Pointing at the lintel stone, Urash opines:

"I wonder if that will hold when we remove the plug. Perhaps we should prop it up with some logs from the bridge we passed on our way here?"

Brule looks at Urash incredulously, "Remove the plug? How? It probably took a score of men with levers, ropes and rollers to slide it into place and that was hundreds of years ago."

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Hum...Rhenmyr, let's look around, maybe some beast dug a hole and found another entrance nearby?"
Ker searches around for another entrance/hole/strange disturbance.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Hum...Rhenmyr, let's look around, maybe some beast dug a hole and found another entrance nearby?"
Ker searches around for another entrance/hole/strange disturbance.

The portico around the arch is made of cut limestone, polished smooth by years of rain and wind. (How and where do you search?)

L'ennui

Magister
Feeling a bit foolish after Brule's rebuttal, Urash says to him in Pictish:

"Ah... Um... Yes, the impracticality of it seems rather obvious, now that you mention it."

Stroking his dark beard with a pensive expression, he then asks Brule:

"Do you believe this water is channelled into the tomb somehow? A decorative pool, fountains, anything of the sort? That may be our way in."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ker will follow the secondary path starting from the pool going around the hill, looking for anything like a hole, a well or something.
Ker carefully inspects the steep-banked gorge walls and the evidence of a mighty flood is even more pronounced along this narrow stream than it is near the pool and other fork. You walk about 50 paces around the bend and the trail you are on completely gives way - a section perhaps 100 feet long has slid into the raging rapids below (at least 30 feet below). In the side of the hill where the land has moved, you can make out a some tumbled masonry jutting out of the muddy bank and a small hole about 2 to 3 feet wide in the middle of these disturbed stones. This hole is precariously perched at least fifteen or twenty feet from where you are standing and there is no easy way to get to it - a treeless and very steep hill rises above and below at probably 50 or 60 degrees.

Cormac observes the portico, seeing if he can figure out a way to enter using his knowledge of tombs and burial techniques.
The tomb is different to the burial practices of the Kelts, who typically lay the dead to rest in pools and lakes, but you've seen ancient Pictish tombs in the forests near Kaer Eanyn. Just as Brule indicated, the large stone seal blocking the entrance must weigh tons and would have taken an enormous amount of effort to get it into place. The pictographs adorning this seal are not known to you.

Marcán inspects the geometric patterns seeing if there's anything familiar about them.
Marcán carefully examines the scene on the tomb. Although weathered by age and some apparent defacement, the pictographs on the seal feature a stylized scene in bas relief: Three attendants in long robes can be seen standing outside a tomb with their arms cocked back over their head. In each of the figure's hand is an object. One looks like a stylized coin, another holds a stylized gemstone, and the last holds a torc (a decorative neck collar worn by Celts in our own antiquity). Underneath the three men is a watery surface with an outstretched hand rising from the depths.

If there is any other meaning hidden or otherwise, it's beyond your ken.
Feeling a bit foolish after Brule's rebuttal, Urash says to him in Pictish:
"Ah... Um... Yes, the impracticality of it seems rather obvious, now that you mention it."

Stroking his dark beard with a pensive expression, he then asks Brule:

"Do you believe this water is channelled into the tomb somehow? A decorative pool, fountains, anything of the sort? That may be our way in."
Brule shakes his head. "I apologize for my reaction. Truth be told I know you are a sorcerer . . . I was worried you intended to break the seal with your magic. As for water, I do not think so; the damp would quickly spoil a body. I know not what my ancestors did for Ulfheonar, but if this tomb is like any other noble tomb, then it will be lined with chalk and built to preserve the remains and any grave goods for the journey to Otherworld."

"I don't see a way to get in so far. This stone must weigh tons and there will be no way for us to move it. There must be another way to get into the tomb. Otherwise I think we will have a near impossible time defeating that beast."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Thanks for the vote of confidence, cousin." Marcán says, removing his attention from the pictograph. "All I see from the entrance is some sort ritual, in which we need a coin, a gem and a torc. If I didn't know any better, the hand coming out of the water would be Ulfheonar himself. Brule, do you know anything about this?"

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker goes back to the group and tell them about the opening. "There is some chance that flood just gave us an easy way in, but I'm not trying it alone - with my luck I'll slip and get stuck inside!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom