Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PlatinumGames Got A New JRPG - Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link

I was watching a few gameplays about this game, and in one video the main character just jumps between male and female version in the middle of the game.

May me ask if this is a feature of the game in its beta version, or are they planing to give us a main character so irrelevant to the story that it can just change versions without anything in the game noticing this...

He'll probably be voiced and interact with his crew and the antagonists but I don't expect the story to revolve around Gran or for him to have a character arc.

In the gacha game, Gran is a silent protagonist and mostly doesn't have dialogue in the VN portions, though you occasionally get a dialogue choice. The other characters act as if they have a relationship to him (ie, Rackham being Gran's pilot and navigator, Rosetta kinda-sorta acting as Gran's aunt since she knew his father and didn't win his romantic interest, other characters being bros, etc). Two other characters, Vyrn (the red fire lizard) and Lyria (the girl in the white dress) speak on his behalf. He gets actual dialogue in the anime, which fleshes his relationships out with the characters a bit more (Eugen becomes a pseudo father figure to him). Gran is also voiced and has dialogue in the fighting game, but the plot isn't about him.

Gran was raised on a pastoral island called Zikenstill. Vyrn is Gran's childhood friend. Gran's unnamed father left many years ago searching for a mythical island called Estalucia, the island of the Astrals. IIRC the story of the game begins when Gran receives a letter from his dad telling him that he found Estalucia and to come meet him, but doesn't give directions. (It's been many years since I started so I might be wrong, maybe Gran just decided to up and go to Estalucia hoping to find dad there). Gran and Vyrn then get roped into the first big story arc about the Erste Empire and other unrelated subplots, and the "find dad" thing is put on hold and no real progress has been made towards finding Estalucia, but Gran does uncover more and more about the true nature of the setting, and we hear more bits and pieces about dad. Gran's main plot relevance is that he got killed protecting Lyria, who then revived him by sharing his life force with him, so they are now dependent upon each other and have to stick together, and Lyria is an escaped lab experiment being hunted by the Erste Empire who can interface with the Primals. Gran and Lyria both become wanted fugitives, and Gran chauffers Lyria around and protects her.

Last edited:

S.torch

Arbiter
In the gacha game, Gran is a silent protagonist and mostly doesn't have dialogue in the VN portions, though you occasionally get a dialogue choice.

I know most of this since I have played the gatcha myself and that's my problem. They can't pretend to adapt the gatcha as is it to an actual single-player RPG, since gatchas are MMOs on steroids with all that entails. Though admittedly Granblue has a more RPG feeling both in its systems and story that other games of the genre, with the potential to be a proper one. In the gameplays can be seen that many changes were made for this, looks dynamic and fun instead of disgusting grindfest for broken brains that the gatcha is.

That's why it would surprise me if that features ends up in the complete game and not just only the beta. Especially PlatinumGames which have a reputation of having cool main characters.

Two other characters, Vyrn (the red fire lizard) and Lyria (the girl in the white dress) speak on his behalf.

Lyria is cute but Vyrn can get extremely annoying. Hoping that they really don't do that.

New trailer just dropped.

5pRxyEK.gif

I am not keen on the MMO AoE markers. I find them very unimmersive and "gamey". 2010s MMOs only implemented them to use as a crutch when when MMOs began trying to to transistion into being pseudo action games to make up for how unfun combat had become due to the death of socialization. In oldschool MMOs, the actual button smashing wasn't fun. The button pressing was few and far between. Rather, you were typing in chat and socializing with your friends during combat. Then WotLK happened and the game became so easy that you never needed to make a friend while levelling, and then dungeon finder made it so that you never needed a friend to do any content. Without friends and socialization during combat, all people were left was with slow, boring combat, so MMO designers tried making them into pseudo-action games, but the devs were constrained by the limitations of their engines and the MMO format (ie, designing a game in which every player and mob would have collision would take a lot of time and forthought, so no collision). The animators for MMO games were also inexperienced with designing character animations for action games that properly conveyed to the player how to react (and, again, also contrained by the genre, so MMO mobs are programmed to automatically autoattack in between abilities. Can't have a wind up animation for an ability go on for too long or else that will mess with autoattacks, and completely reprogramming an MMO's combat system from the ground up and redesigning movesets for all mobs in the game is a lot of effort, so you end up with the halfassed chimeras that is modern MMO combat). Also, doesn't help that MMOs introduce enemies with completely unique movesets but do not properly tutorialize them to the player during a boss fight. Players run to the next boss in a dungeon and get killed an unintuitive ability they have no idea how it works, whereas in a real action game, the player is taught an enemy's attacks (or they are intuitive at a glance). Also does not help that MMO boss fights are overdesigned. So MMOs introduced telegraphs as a crutch to convey AoEs. They are unimmersive. Rather than looking at your enemy, you are instead looking at a user interface. A real action game built from the ground up should not need any such crutch.

News from anime expo:

Ferry has been announced as playable, though they haven't shown any footage of how she will play in Relink.

They reiterated that Relink is not a live service game. You buy it and you get it. They are going to add more stuff after launch but it's unclear if that is going to be paid DLC or a free patch.

They clarified that the game isn't open world. You can't run around an entire island. The game is broken up into levels and a central town hub.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's finally coming... in 2024 lol. But we got a definitive release date at least. Can't believe this was originally announced in 2016

Strange. They're treating the Primals as if they are genuine gods, like how they were treated in the early lore of the gacha game, but that lore was retconned away years ago with the the What Makes the Sky Blue and Primal Pals storylines. Now they're just mass produced supersoldiers grown in vats by the Astrals and were quite vulnerable to being killed by normal human soldiers with swords and bows during the war, and then during the post-war period Cosmos went around to each island psyoping the inhabitants into worshipping the Primals. My guess is that the story for Relink was written back when the game began development in 2016, before WTSMB retconned the lore, and they haven't bothered to rewrite it to fit in with the new lore. Primals aren't even scary or awe inspiring anymore (again killed by regular soldiers in the Primal Pals storyline). They used to be at the top of the powerlevel totem, but they have long since been powercreeped by the Archangels and the Six Dragons.

Sarathiour

Cipher
So you're saying they made the right call to ignore the usual nonsensical powercreep of every gacha ever under the east sun ?

So you're saying they made the right call to ignore the usual nonsensical powercreep of every gacha ever under the east sun ?

It's not just powercreep, but the narrative importance they once held. For example, there was Port Breeze, an island that worshipped and sacrificed to the wind primal Tiamat for her blessings as she gave rains that brought bountiful harvests and good trade winds for airships, making the island prosperous. There is Albion, an island that was historically protected from foreign invasions by the primal Luminiera, to whom a human must be sacrificed in a bonding ritual that eventually lead to the candidate's life force being sucked away over the years in exchange for being bestowed the sheer power of the primal. Etc.

The player character, Gran, was unique in that that his lifeforce became mixed with Lyria (a girl who originates from neither the Sky realm or the Astral realm), and Vyrn (the baby reincarnation of the god-dragon Bahamut, who destroyed the previous universe and created the new Sky and Astral realms). Since Gran is tied to beings that come from outside the created universe, he too becomes removed from fate and becomes able to alter it while almost everyone else is subject to it. That is why a teenager is able to go around subduing one Primal after after another when it is normally a herculean effort for the inhabitants of the GBF universe. During the early game, the only other example we had of people defeating Primals was a Luminary Knight - one of the seven most powerful mortal warriors in the setting - wielding rare magical artifacts and utilizing the Erste Empire's cutting edge technology. The climax of the Phantagarde storyline revolved around a Primal that could rewrite reality, which could only be stopped by Gran/Lyria/Vyrn while everyone else got deleted from reality.

Then Primals were downgraded into just being nothing special, being taken out on a regular basis by your average joes. In the Created by the Stars, Loved by the Skies storyline, we get a flashback arc to 2,000 years ago during the time of the Astral War, when the people of the Sky realm fought a revolution to overthrow the Astral's occupation and drive them back to their home dimension. In that war, we see the Astrals mass producing primals in vats and sending them out to the frontlines to be used as fodders. We see severals Primals being very nearly killed by regular volunteer rebels. Not even powerful warriors like the Seven Luminary Knights; just average townsfolk who had never wielded sword or a bow prior to the revolution. It also does not help that almost every primal beast we see in the flashback war arc isn't a huge monster like the primals we saw in the early GBF storyline, but instead just look like regular sized humans. Granted, we see rebel officers admit that they couldn't have won the war without Primal defectors, and we do get one example of a terrifying Primal that was unstoppable like in the old lore, but it overall made them look weak compared to the old incarnation of them.

And then in arc that takes place in the present, we see hundreds of primals being enslaved by humans, betrayed by the people who worshipped them, hunted down and killed by adventurers for crafting materials, etc. The raison d'etre of the event villains, Geo and Freyr, is that they are tired of seeing their kin being abused and slain by the Skydwellers. They've been collecting hundreds of cores of their fallen kin. If the Primals are this easily killed, then the Black Knight and the Erste Empire look stupid for trying to gather all of these magical artifacts, inventing new technologies, and coming up with elaborate plans to defeat primals, when they could have just sent in a couple squads of footmen through the front door and got the job done. Gran loses his claim to fame too. You also have to wonder why every island you visited was worshipping Primals if it turns out that they are very mortal and being killed off on a regular basis. They would be unworthy of all of this praise and sacrificing.

Basically the Primals went from being powerful gods to just being people, but with crystal cores in their chests instead of fleshy hearts. The later introduction of the Six Dragons helped bring back that original GBF feel of there being fearsome beings out there, but then they too wound up getting anthropomorphized human forms and treated as people too. So the setting doesn't feel as wide open and full of possibility, awe, wonder, and danger like it used to.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
What's wrong with people designing combat like this. Complete chaos, cacophony of colors, clusterfuck. What's wrong with combat being 'normal' and reserve flashy moves only for some of the skills? Sigh.

S.torch

Arbiter
Even if their use of a previous lore is true, I ask myself if that is really going to matter. Considering that every time they have shown something about this game there's mostly battles and a few cinematics in it. Seems like the gacha is going to have more dialogue than this.

What's wrong with people designing combat like this. Complete chaos, cacophony of colors, clusterfuck. What's wrong with combat being 'normal' and reserve flashy moves only for some of the skills? Sigh.
not anime enough

Looking at the gameplay footage in these two videos and it seems pretty easy to read what’s happening on screen during combat despite the flashy FX.

I think they might have actually toned it down from where it was a few years ago.

Crayll

Liturgist
It'll sell a decent number of copies simply due to the fact that it includes bonus codes for the mobile game, gachaslaves will be forced to buy it.
Whether it'll be any good or sell enough to make the 6 (7?) year development worth it is another question.

Three new playable characters have been announced for Relink, one available at launch and two more coming in an April patch:

6QsZnYS.png

Cagliostro (will be available at launch)

qbxQ0o4.jpg

qE2b6Jk.jpg

Boring picks IMO.

We already have six swordsmen (Gran, 3/4ths of the Dragon Knights, Narmaya, and Yodarha). We didn't need a seventh. If we needed an eternal then I would have gone with Niyon, who is unique as she fights with using a guzheng and a dozen needle drones that can create shields. Personality wise I quite liked Fif in the Seeds of Redemption storyline. Threo is also funny. Seox and Eahta were also pleasant and had good designs. Seofon is just boring compared to the other Eternals, though I guess it could have been worse. Could have been the bratty brother and sister *shivers*.

I guess we didn't have an archer in Relink before, but I was never a fan of Tweyen's default design. Would be nice if her kimono skin was available, but given that it doesn't seem like there will be any skins for Gran I doubt there will be any for the other characters. There's more interesting archer options out there, such as Keefer (Selfira's uncle or grandfather, fun personality, more novel design with his hat) or Flesselles (has an attack dog).

I never cared for Cagliostro. If we needed a cute waifu we could have gotten Sara or Orchis, again more unique characters fighting with sand golems/puppets.

Also, two new antagonists were announced. One is just another boring rawr Draph but the other is a Harvin who seems to wield a set of levitating daggers? Sounds cool, would be neat if she becomes playable, though who knows if she will survive the campaign.

wOYIMqw.png

S.torch

Arbiter
I like Cagliostro. She has a good personality, and she is a mage. And I like mages too. This doesn't beat the fact the game is looking like a hack-'n-slash version of the gacha, instead of a single-player JRPG.

Crayll

Liturgist
The cast is pretty disappointing overall, considering the number of characters they could have chosen from. Almost 2/3 human, and nearly all part of the main crew or already in Granblue Versus. Would've been nice to see a few more obscure picks.

VSu00Jt.jpg

S.torch

Arbiter
Man... all the guys look kinda meh. Where's bad boy Belial or Sandalphon?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom