Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape torment.

Melcar

Arcane
Bullshit

relootz

Scholar
PS:T is the best RPG ever made.

Any combatflaws are easily made up by its other brilliant parts.
And not enough equipment? What are u a moron? It has plenty of things but not all the Ph@T lOOT no.

I do agree that some things are too much combat based for example the nordom maze. Beating construct after construct. That is quite tiresome.

You have next to no controls over your party members, the story and locations are linear as fuck, and there is too much text.

Sounds like a jRPG to me bro :smug:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
No magical giant cats or giant swords/gunblades, so nah. And "Eye on Me" never did play.

Murk

Arcane
Storyline isn't piss poor gibberish revolving around some pre-pubescent faghole defeating earth shattering evil with the power of OMGFRIENDSHIP^^___^^

Hmm, some delicious butthurt in this thread.

PST is a jrpg (even magic works like in one, r00fles!). The fact that it doesn't look like final fantasy doesn't mean shit.

pull_up_your_big_girl_panties_and_deal_with_it_mug-p1688289453743586442opcc_400.jpg

btw, stop with shit like "there's a lack of equipment, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER" or "the combat is shit, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER", it's embarrassing. Just because YOU want to believe it doesn't matter (lol larpers), doesn't make it true. The flaws are there and THEY SUCK DONKEY BALLS. YOU CAN'T JUST IGNORE THE SHIT. IT STINKS.

Fanboy-Rainbow-620x.jpg

Lesifoere said:
Volourn said:
PST was a fun game. That's all.

A literary masterpiece compared to Bioware's games, too, please remember.

That's saying a lot, I guess :smug:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey Clockwork Knight, could you provide me with examples on the much better RPGs that obviously exist according to you? In the same vein, why the fuck do you game?

Grunker said:
Hey Clockwork Knight, could you provide me with examples on the much better RPGs that obviously exist according to you?

I wasn't talking about that. You're free to like your jrpg and believe it's the best game ever (opinion). (Besides, since every game has flaws, any game I point out would get holes poked in by codexia cultists chanting "LOLOLOL PST IS SEX")

I was just amused by how you people ignore shit like shit combat and no variety of equipment for characters(someone even said "Sigil. Planes" as justification. wtf), both factors staples of jrpgs.

In the same vein, why the fuck do you game?

So, if I don't think PST is perfection, I have no reason to game

thestuff4.jpg

fanboys_image__1_.jpg

Derper

Prophet
I think it was quite clear that there was plenty of equipment? Just not 100 +1 greatswords... And Arcanum had shitty combat - JRPG much?

:50 pictures of guitars:

Black Cat

Magister
Planescape is good for what it is, nya.

Sorry, but someone had to do it. Now, like, the problem is that whatever it is, it isn't a good role playing game at all: Every other day i play an MMO with better combat mechanics and more challenging battles than anything Torment has to offer, and with a much better character system than Torment's to boot. And when you are defeated by an MMO you suck as a role playing game, sorry.

Torment's setting is cool, yay, and it's very atmospheric. So what? If having a cool, immersive, and atmospheric setting is the mark of a role playing game then Pathologic, The Void, and some thingie or another of Kyoto are the best role playing games, like, ever. Or evar, nya.

Torment's plot is good for a game, yay, and somewhat interesting, i guess. So what? If having a good plot is the mark of a role playing game then EVER17 is the best role playing game EVAR!!1! And it has more choices and consequences than Torment, too. But then even the lesser type of Otome games have more meaningful choices than Torment, and usually they get better gameplay to boot.

So stop the bleeping idiocy. Torment sucks as a role playing game: It lacks in the exploration, combat, character development, and, like, most other thingies. Go play real role playing games with dungeons and parties and riddles and monsters and stuffy stuff, then talk about what is and isn't a role playing game, nya.

Ninja Edit: You bloody larpers! :P

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
borrowing terms from text analysis (I have no idea what it's called in english, so there'll be lots of direct translations that will most likely suck ass) I'd say that Torments "textual" structure is much like a jRPG, and that's where most of the comparisons come from. The form (the basic framework and rules, like the linearity and "no control over your NPC's" as EV put it) is comparable in many aspects.

"ideationally" is where it mostly differs. The ideas that are brought forth by the "text" is in no way comparable to any jRPG I have ever played. I'm sure that if anyone bothered with it, they'd find that all of Avellones works are quite unique among games, in this aspect. Propositions and presuppositions both on macro and micro level are probably more consistent than in other games.

I'm not sure how to analyse the game from a "interpersonal" viewpoint, but it would surely point the same way.

Derper

Prophet
Cool with posts that hides from time to time.

Aaaanyways: Planescape is a mixed bag like almost any RPG out there. The things it does well are, however, done extremely well. The downsides aren't that big IMHO, and it certainly deserves its "THREEKINGS"-status here on the codex.

Still don't get the jRPG thing though, please explain. Slowly...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I never said it was perfect CK. I said it was the best. You disputed that, thereby indicating there's something even better. I get that it's miles more hilarious to call me a fanboy, but it makes you seem... stupid :D

That is, when you avoid a confrontation in favor of imagelinking lame pictures.

Plus, I honestly would like to play the aforementioned better games if they excist.

CK is seriously phasing in and out man. Guess even the database noticed how big of a faggot you are and is trying to get rid of your posts

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Derper said:
Cool with posts that hides from time to time.

Aaaanyways: Planescape is a mixed bag like almost any RPG out there. The things it does well are, however, done extremely well. The downsides aren't that big IMHO, and it certainly deserves its "THREEKINGS"-status here on the codex.

Still don't get the jRPG thing though, please explain. Slowly...

It's a jrpg because it has strange characters and long/flashy spell effects, duh. It even has small movies for some spells... see ? definitely JRPG.

There, should be better now.

EV said:
CK is seriously phasing in and out man. Guess even the database noticed how big of a faggot you are and is trying to get rid of your posts

Maybe even the database is a raging fanboy

Grunker said:
I never said it was perfect CK. I said it was the best.

what does this mean, then

Why the fuck do you game?

Derper

Prophet
Emotional Vampire said:
Maybe there are portals everywhere, and CK is just flying back and forth. I believe this is the case. Also, not jRPG. DND, skillchecks, RPG-combat (although bad)...

Derper said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Maybe there are portals everywhere, and CK is just flying back and forth. I believe this is the case. Also, not jRPG. DND, skillchecks, RPG-combat (although bad)...

I blame my future edits. The database just doesn't care anymore, and kicks me out at the slightest sign of a paradox

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom