Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape Torment analysis

Lumpy

Arcane
Memento, appropriately enough.

Response to puzzlement

What does everyone on here mean that I've destroyed the game for them. Is it because you think I cant provide analysis on it because I havent played it? I dont understand this attribution. I evidently havent destroyed the game for you because of the exasperation of your replies and your continued comments on the game. Therefore, ironically, your love for this game has prompted your frenzied responses to saying that I've destroyed it for you. Thats the beauty of dialogism and intertextuality.

Secondly, in response to the interesting epistemic question of whether or not the nameless one has a name or just doesnt know it, I "believe" this is one of the hallmarks of poststructuralism in that this could represent again the evaporation of meaning. Whether or not he has a name or doesnt know it represents the slippery search for menaing and answers to both questions. Maybe there isnt a truth to why he is named as such but the name provides a platform to leap off into the pool of meaning. The name signals a search into why he is called the nameless one in the first place, and due to the game providing many contradictory meanings which can be read and interpreted in all different ways points to the idea that there isnt a final meaning.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
facepalm.jpg

Mareus

Magister
Re: Response to puzzlement

APostmodernLens said:
What does everyone on here mean that I've destroyed the game for them. Is it because you think I cant provide analysis on it because I havent played it? I dont understand this attribution. I evidently havent destroyed the game for you because of the exasperation of your replies and your continued comments on the game. Therefore, ironically, your love for this game has prompted your frenzied responses to saying that I've destroyed it for you. Thats the beauty of dialogism and intertextuality.

Secondly, in response to the interesting epistemic question of whether or not the nameless one has a name or just doesnt know it, I "believe" this is one of the hallmarks of poststructuralism in that this could represent again the evaporation of meaning. Whether or not he has a name or doesnt know it represents the slippery search for menaing and answers to both questions. Maybe there isnt a truth to why he is named as such but the name provides a platform to leap off into the pool of meaning. The name signals a search into why he is called the nameless one in the first place, and due to the game providing many contradictory meanings which can be read and interpreted in all different ways points to the idea that there isnt a final meaning.
WOW! This is a rare gift you have there. The ability to talk much, without saying anything. :shock:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Empty trash cans make more noise than a full one

Why are you all wanting to ban me? Is it because I'm a newcomer and you cant tolerate outsiders. Have you got so used to your little planescape clans that cant deal with someone saying something different for a change?

There has been no proper respectful reply to my posts, apart from the guy or girl that asked me a serious question a few posts back. I enjoy RPG's as well and havent been abusive or impacted on the banning regulations whatsoever. I only joined this site because of my interest in Planescape and to have good discussion with other members.

aboyd

Liturgist
Play the game before you analyze it to look a lot less like an uninformed idiot. I don't say that to be mean, I say it as a fact. You ARE uninformed. You ADMIT you have not played it. You ARE making unfounded comments because you have not played it. So you are getting intolerant replies, and I don't blame them. I too am intolerant of ignorance. Stop flaunting your ignorance.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Have you got so used to your little planescape clans that cant deal with someone saying something different for a change?
Yep. We just can't deal with you and your force of personality and your speaking truth to power and whatnot.

Mareus

Magister
some youtube guy said:
Belief can undone multiverse, crash the thrones of gods or unmake armies. Belief can change even the nature of a man. But nothing can change the feeling after finishing this game...

masterridley

Novice
inwoker said:
Recommend me some book or movie that has similar to pst 'I wish I forget and watch/read again'.

Guys, Memento is nothing like that, have you even watched the damn movie?
Amnesia does not equal "wish to forget blah blah".

A more appropriate one that springs to mind is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but again it's not exactly the same...

mareus said:
some youtube guy wrote:
Belief can undone multiverse, crash the thrones of gods or unmake armies. Belief can change even the nature of a man. But nothing can change the feeling after finishing this game...
dude's right

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
masterridley said:
inwoker said:
Recommend me some book or movie that has similar to pst 'I wish I forget and watch/read again'.

I think he meant "A movie/book that is so absolutely awesome that I want to forget all about it just to be able to watch it for the first time again."

Pastel

Scholar
Also Lenny does actually try to forget a lot of things. Remember Sammy Jenkins?

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
JarlFrank said:
masterridley said:
inwoker said:

I think he meant "A movie/book that is so absolutely awesome that I want to forget all about it just to be able to watch it for the first time again."
yes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom