Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Kiste

Augur
Combat is not the focus of a PST successor? You don't say!
Eh, sure. But we're still talking about a system in which every fucking weapon does either 2, 4 or 6 damage there's absolutely nothing in the rules about any form of status effects and shit. It's all storytelling and arbitrary "sure, whatever, bro" game master decisions.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Numenera is a rules lite system made to make tabletop sessions smoother. (not exactly compatible with the demande of crpg design) Reviews of it have been middling. I do hope Torment doesnt suck but all I hear from development sounds really nebulous. Showing off tons of dialogue trees and how they work isn't setting my world on fire.

Adapting Numenera to be compatible with CRPG demands is pretty much exactly the same as creating a new system from scratch. There simply is nothing to adapt.

Behold Monte Cooks genius system design. I'll give you a 100% complete rundown of the whole combat system:

- monsters have difficulty level ranging from 1 - 10,
- look up the target number in the table, e.g. a level 2 monster has a target number of 6
- roll a D20 against it
- if hit, determine weapon damage (ALL light weapons do 2 dmg, ALL medium 4 dmg, ALL heavy 6 dmg)
- subtract your armor value (which is also a flat number based on what you're wearing or special abilities) from weapon damage
- a roll of 17 does 1 more damage, a roll of 18 does 2 more damage
- a roll of 19 does 3 more damage or a special result like knock back, whatever the fuck you want
- a roll of 20 does 4 more damage and a bigger special result like stun or whatever the fuck you can come up with
- apply damage

There are also 3 range levels (immediate, short, long) and you can move an "immediate" distance during your combat round as an additional action or a short range as a full action. Ranged weapons or abilities also have these ranges (i.e. a throwing knife is "short" and a bow "long") but it does not figure into the hit roll.

AND THAT'S THE EXTEND OF THE COMBAT SYSTEM. ALL OF IT. IT'S LITERALLY JUST ONE PAGE IN THE BOOK AND CAN BE SUMMED UP IN ONE PARAGRAPH.

If Torment: Tides of Numenera is based on this system, then many a Codexer head will explode.
Oh, yeah, and no combat EXP. :smug:
You forgot that that Type (Class) choice and Focus choice gives you special abilities that you can use each round if you want (unless they are passive bonuses). Also there are optional rules that come with the base book that let you use special attacks in exchange for less damage when you hit.. you know all the status effects you claim it does not have.
Also you forgot using effort which is action by action decision and a very important one because you spend points that are also your health points. You cannot move more than immediate distance and attack so you need to balance movement and attack as well. While base damage of weapons is 2, 4, or 6 it is modified by character skills, better gear and using effort (and critical hits).

And of course there are Cyphers that give crazy and random effects (randomly chosen when you get new ones, not random when you try to use them) and since you cannot carry more than a few and get a lot of them often you use them in each battle.
Oh and artifacts you acquire also often have active abilities.

So if you are stupid and don't know shit about Numenera, maybe you should not talk about it.

Shevek

Arcane
Reception for Numenera is middling at rpggeek.

http://rpggeek.com/browse/rpg?sort=rank&rankobjecttype=subtype&rankobjectid=17&rank=95#95

Wby this love for Monte Cooke? Are you confusing him with David Cook?
Yes, because 40 people voting mean shit from a site nobody cares about. I have not even heard about that site until this moment and I have been playing PnP for 17+ years.
Its more famous sister site is board game geek but rpggeek is fairly known even if it isn't enworld or whatever.

DeepOcean

Arcane
DnD system on infinity engine games is:
One handed weapons do 1d6 or 1d8 that averaged do 3 and 4 . (modified by magic weapons, abilities and atributes.)
Two handed weapons do something like 1d12 that averaged do 6.(modified by magic weapons, abilities and atributes.)
You attack enemy armor with your attack and d20, if you hit 20 (depending on the weapon or abilities), you crit.
Spells do the same thing but instead of attacking armor, they attack saving throws and their attack depend on their level.
This is as simple as it get but didn't stop people making good games using this system, so why Torment will be shitty because it has a slightly dumb down combat system?
You guys realize that PoE's worst problems have nothing to do with its combat resolution system right?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Reception for Numenera is middling at rpggeek.

http://rpggeek.com/browse/rpg?sort=rank&rankobjecttype=subtype&rankobjectid=17&rank=95#95

Wby this love for Monte Cooke? Are you confusing him with David Cook?
Yes, because 40 people voting mean shit from a site nobody cares about. I have not even heard about that site until this moment and I have been playing PnP for 17+ years.
Its more famous sister site is board game geek but rpggeek is fairly known even if it isn't enworld or whatever.
Still does not change the fact that 40 people only voted on it. I read many reviews and followed news after Numenera came out and it was praised by many people and they needed to print new copies all the time and on cons the lines in front of Numenera area was always the biggest.

Lhynn

Arcane
Numenera is a rules lite system made to make tabletop sessions smoother. (not exactly compatible with the demande of crpg design) Reviews of it have been middling. I do hope Torment doesnt suck but all I hear from development sounds really nebulous. Showing off tons of dialogue trees and how they work isn't setting my world on fire.

Adapting Numenera to be compatible with CRPG demands is pretty much exactly the same as creating a new system from scratch. There simply is nothing to adapt.

Behold Monte Cooks genius system design. I'll give you a 100% complete rundown of the whole combat system:

- monsters have difficulty level ranging from 1 - 10,
- look up the target number in the table, e.g. a level 2 monster has a target number of 6
- roll a D20 against it
- if hit, determine weapon damage (ALL light weapons do 2 dmg, ALL medium 4 dmg, ALL heavy 6 dmg)
- subtract your armor value (which is also a flat number based on what you're wearing or special abilities) from weapon damage
- a roll of 17 does 1 more damage, a roll of 18 does 2 more damage
- a roll of 19 does 3 more damage or a special result like knock back, whatever the fuck you want
- a roll of 20 does 4 more damage and a bigger special result like stun or whatever the fuck you can come up with
- apply damage

There are also 3 range levels (immediate, short, long) and you can move an "immediate" distance during your combat round as an additional action or a short range as a full action. Ranged weapons or abilities also have these ranges (i.e. a throwing knife is "short" and a bow "long") but it does not figure into the hit roll.

AND THAT'S THE EXTEND OF THE COMBAT SYSTEM. ALL OF IT. IT'S LITERALLY JUST ONE PAGE IN THE BOOK AND CAN BE SUMMED UP IN ONE PARAGRAPH.

If Torment: Tides of Numenera is based on this system, then many a Codexer head will explode.
You forgot that that Type (Class) choice and Focus choice gives you special abilities that you can use each round if you want (unless they are passive bonuses). Also there are optional rules that come with the base book that let you use special attacks in exchange for less damage when you hit.. you know all the status effects you claim it does not have.
Also you forgot using effort which is action by action decision and a very important one because you spend points that are also your health points. You cannot move more than immediate distance and attack so you need to balance movement and attack as well. While base damage of weapons is 2, 4, or 6 it is modified by character skills, better gear and using effort (and critical hits).

And of course there are Cyphers that give crazy and random effects (randomly chosen when you get new ones, not random when you try to use them) and since you cannot carry more than a few and get a lot of them often you use them in each battle.
Oh and artifacts you acquire also often have active abilities.

So if you are stupid and don't know shit about Numenera, maybe you should not talk about it.
System doesnt sound bad, much better than 3.5 and 4th D&D.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

Yeah, because PST is a genre classic due to its impeccable combat system and encounter design. Writing, C&C, quests, area design, atmosphere etc. will make or break this game, combat needs to be decent at most.

Ehm, so?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We have just pushed the latest 1.04 beta patch live to all Steam users. 540 is the official 1.04 build. We will be sending out a backer update later today or tomorrow to announce it.

Thanks for all of your help in testing. We hope to get a 1.05 beta patch live in a couple of weeks.

1.05 is supposed to be the first balance patch. Next beta patch release in a couple of weeks = next patch in a month or so. Trying to steal The Witcher's thunder?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Looking forward to endless banalce iterations and constant use of OP and nerfed, gotta level the playing field for PvP and Boss runs.

Kiste

Augur
How is Monte Cook controversial? He is most popular and appreciated PnP designer after Gygax died.
Most popular PnP designer after Gygax? There are shitloads of people in the D&D community who think that he's an utter dumbfuck. I'm not one of them, just for the record, but neither do I think he's the fucking Jesus of RPG system design.

He's mainly controversial because in his columns and blog entries and other stuff he wrote while he was still involved in D&D (and for a while after) he consistently displayed almost complete ignorance of how some of his Ivory Tower design ideas affected real world P&P D&D gameplay. And let's not forget that the game he designed (D&D 3E) was so fucked up that there was D&D 3.5E, which was basically a bugfixed version. And then there is Pathfinder, which is basically a bugfixed version of D&D 3.5E, which was still a fucking mess.

Probably his lowest point was when he tried to justify D&D3E's terrible character developement and its clusterfuck of feat chains, feat taxes, purposefully misleading feat descriptions and other wilfully obscure nonsense and unnecessary complexity with "rules mastery", i.e. the retarded idea that players who really know the rules well should be rewarded by being able to build better characters. And, according to Cooke, he got this great design idea form looking at what people enjoyed about Magic the Gathering, i.e. building clever decks and shit. Then he tried to apply this concept to D&D character development. He essentially admitted to putting bad choices into the system and concealing them to create this "system mastery" element.

Now, this concept is actually awesome for a CRPG system. Let the idiots play on easy and not put any thought into character development but make the system deep and complex so that the Sensukis and all the other autistic munchkins can treat it like a fucking math problem and come up with power builds that lets them solo the game on nightmare difficulty.

The problem was that D&D3E wasn't a CRPG system, it was a PnP system and in PnP, this concept turned out to be a fucking desaster. The sprawling complexity turned out to be utterly unmanageable so at some point after D&D 3.5E hit the bookshelves they simply said "fuck it" and just added to the complex mess by shitting out even more splat books... I mean, they didn't even TRY anymore because there was no point to it.

The "system mastery" element was even worse. Why on earth did Monte think this was a good idea in a non-competitive game like D&D? All he achieved was that the more casual DnD players (actually a majority of PnP players), who didn't spreadsheet the characters in advance, ended up with shit characters and the munchkins of the group ended up with optimized superheroes. What was the benefit here for your average D&D PnP group which probably consists of mainly casuals and maybe 1 or 2 munchkins?

This whole concept is so completely baffling in a PnP context that it's probably justified to call Monte Cook a dumbfuck based on this idea alone. I really can't shake the feeling that Numenera turned out to be so incredibly lightweigth because people have been giving him shit for years for being a guy who would do complexity just for the sake of complexity. There were a lot of people who were not particularly unhappy when Cook left D&D 5E developement due to "differences of opinion" for fear of him turning 5E into another overly complex clusterfuck.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sure, the game could have used more enemy variety and unique monsters at appropriate locations (instead of same monster type plastered over the whole map) but my main problem isn't quantity but that almost none of them requires different tactics or adjusting (aside from example Shades with Teleport which makes them one of very few interesting enemies, though that doesn't last for long), everything work on everything (no immunities or near immunities even where it would make sense), buffs aren't that great at countering effects (which are not as dangerous in the first place) and the separation of combat and non-combat state (which also precludes pre-buffing) means you might as well focus on killing enemies quickly to return into non-combat state where all the effects disappear instantly and you regenerate health.
Yes, that's exactly what I was commenting with a friend of mine today. If you count not how many distinct monsters you have, but for how many of them you have to adjust tactics, I doubt the number would be more than 3-4. That's what makes them so unmemorable.

I said it before but while total immunities and hard counters are crude, they do their job and force you to do something differently. If there were things that couldn't be blinded or hobbled (where it makes sense) then maybe I wouldn't spam Blinding & Crippling strike every fight (alternatively you could make those per rest abilities I guess).
Absolutely.

Guess how many were in Baldur's Gate, the answer may surprise you.

According to this, the number is pretty much the same. Yes, the answer did surprise me, because to me it felt like there was a lot more in BG. Maybe because some types of enemies used to cast specific spells, or cause specific afflictions (basilisks, sirenes, spiders, dopplegangers, gibberlings, etc.). I've almost finished replaying BG and will probably move on to BGII afterwards. I want to see and make sure for myself if I'm not overestimating the old titles or attributing qualities to them they didn't have.

The PoE table is ready:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B_bCKzOQta97xfUHHk9p09T_7PowWLUJUTiYCBVXLMI/edit?pli=1#gid=0

My second reason for composing it, not counting the fact that the strategy guide is the single weakest strategy guide I've seen by Prima, was that I was under the impression that most of the time crush and burn damage are the best you can use. As you can see this is also confirmed. Even if you actually needed to adjust weapons to encounters, which you probably will need to do after one or more rebalance patches, for now you are best off with a crush weapon which has been enchanted to do burn damage too. War hammer would be best imo, because it can alternate as a pierce weapon.

Yeah, the new patch is out. The difficulty reverting to Easy isn't mentioned in the patch notes though. I'm pretty sure I haven't experienced the bug so far, but I wish I have been.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
I said it before but while total immunities and hard counters are crude, they do their job and force you to do something differently. If there were things that couldn't be blinded or hobbled (where it makes sense) then maybe I wouldn't spam Blinding & Crippling strike every fight (alternatively you could make those per rest abilities I guess).
Absolutely.

Even if it's not resulting in total immunities and when keeping the current system - there are many creatures where it absolutely makes sense (and I almost suspect they somehow intended) that they can't be affected by some of the afflictions.
Yet in the end, with the current accuracy of most spells and the defenses of critters, afflictions will hit almost every time.
Sometimes it will result in a Graze, sure, but it will have some effect.

Assuming they intend to balance the game a bit, I think this is one of the things that should definitely be tackled, probably by plausibly increasing resistances and reducing accuracy of some spells.
In turn, the effect of some of the spells can be increased - when it hits with lower probability, make it count. Likewise, make it worthwile to buff my chars or debuff the enemy such that spells and abilities will succeed with higher probabilty/greater effect (hit vs graze).

ArchAngel

Arcane
How is Monte Cook controversial? He is most popular and appreciated PnP designer after Gygax died.
Most popular PnP designer after Gygax? There are shitloads of people in the D&D community who think that he's an utter dumbfuck. I'm not one of them, just for the record, but neither do I think he's the fucking Jesus of RPG system design.

He's mainly controversial because in his columns and blog entries and other stuff he wrote while he was still involved in D&D (and for a while after) he consistently displayed almost complete ignorance of how some of his Ivory Tower design ideas affected real world P&P D&D gameplay. And let's not forget that the game he designed (D&D 3E) was so fucked up that there was D&D 3.5E, which was basically a bugfixed version. And then there is Pathfinder, which is basically a bugfixed version of D&D 3.5E, which was still a fucking mess.

Probably his lowest point was when he tried to justify D&D3E's terrible character developement and its clusterfuck of feat chains, feat taxes, purposefully misleading feat descriptions and other wilfully obscure nonsense and unnecessary complexity with "rules mastery", i.e. the retarded idea that players who really know the rules well should be rewarded by being able to build better characters. And, according to Cooke, he got this great design idea form looking at what people enjoyed about Magic the Gathering, i.e. building clever decks and shit. Then he tried to apply this concept to D&D character development. He essentially admitted to putting bad choices into the system and concealing them to create this "system mastery" element.

Now, this concept is actually awesome for a CRPG system. Let the idiots play on easy and not put any thought into character development but make the system deep and complex so that the Sensukis and all the other autistic munchkins can treat it like a fucking math problem and come up with power builds that lets them solo the game on nightmare difficulty.

The problem was that D&D3E wasn't a CRPG system, it was a PnP system and in PnP, this concept turned out to be a fucking desaster. The sprawling complexity turned out to be utterly unmanageable so at some point after D&D 3.5E hit the bookshelves they simply said "fuck it" and just added to the complex mess by shitting out even more splat books... I mean, they didn't even TRY anymore because there was no point to it.

The "system mastery" element was even worse. Why on earth did Monte think this was a good idea in a non-competitive game like D&D? All he achieved was that the more casual DnD players (actually a majority of PnP players), who didn't spreadsheet the characters in advance, ended up with shit characters and the munchkins of the group ended up with optimized superheroes. What was the benefit here for your average D&D PnP group which probably consists of mainly casuals and maybe 1 or 2 munchkins?

This whole concept is so completely baffling in a PnP context that it's probably justified to call Monte Cook a dumbfuck based on this idea alone. I really can't shake the feeling that Numenera turned out to be so incredibly lightweigth because people have been giving him shit for years for being a guy who would do complexity just for the sake of complexity. There were a lot of people who were not particularly unhappy when Cook left D&D 5E developement due to "differences of opinion" for fear of him turning 5E into another overly complex clusterfuck.
There are always dumbfucks. More people liked 3e and 3.5e. Pathfinder only came to be because those same dumbfucks though 4e D&D was a good idea LOL

And who did they call to fix the mess with 5e? Monte Cook. And then they didn't let him fix it enough so he left and made Numenera which is much superior to D&D.

BTW, Monte was not only designer of 3e AND he was also not allowed to do how he wanted and that is why D&D 3e had flaws. Later he made Arcana Evolved which was a better version of D&D 3e.

Lhynn

Arcane
5th ed system is better than numenera, as far as youve explained at least.

Shevek

Arcane
5e is quite good. It takes alot from Star Wars Saga Edition, which was great. Multiclassing is better than 3e in my book.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Basically everything after ADnD 2nd edition is an abomination. There is a reason why the best settings were all released for the ADnD while 3rd edition got scraps. The reason is that in 3rd edition the game is basically just an addition to buildwankery. Who cares if your Punpun breaks everything in Fearun or Wisconsin? All you need is a broken build and a bunch of monsters. Also don't forget that Mone Cook is responsible for Faction Wars. An adventure so thrilling Avellone decided to completely ignore it while making Torment.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The PoE table is ready:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B_bCKzOQta97xfUHHk9p09T_7PowWLUJUTiYCBVXLMI/edit?pli=1#gid=0

My second reason for composing it, not counting the fact that the strategy guide is the single weakest strategy guide I've seen by Prima, was that I was under the impression that most of the time crush and burn damage are the best you can use. As you can see this is also confirmed. Even if you actually needed to adjust weapons to encounters, which you probably will need to do after one or more rebalance patches, for now you are best off with a crush weapon which has been enchanted to do burn damage too. War hammer would be best imo, because it can alternate as a pierce weapon.

You might want to steal the info from the "Enemy DRs" tab in this spreadsheet. Looks like Crush/Pierce is actually the best combo, or Crush/Corrode for elemental weapons.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You might want to steal the info from the "Enemy DRs" tab in this spreadsheet. Looks like Crush/Pierce is actually the best combo, or Crush/Corrode for elemental weapons.
Yes, those averages are interesting, but in the game it's more important to use what will work against your type of enemy than what has the best average :)

Lhynn

Arcane
Yes, those averages are interesting, but in the game it's more important to use what will work against your type of enemy than what has the best average :)
Assuming you want to bother with that... i really dont. Now if some creatures were immune to different sources of damage....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom