Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
  • an has the grinding been toned down any
    • You can't tone down something which never existed, so no.

Is it a requirement of grinding - that the thing you're killing over and over must reward you with something you actually want?
Cause if not - Skaen Temple, Volcano Lake and Random Ogres Standing Around Everywhere, Forest would all like to have a word with you.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Prime Junta

Ok, in hindsight, I might have been stubborn & bit blinded by butthurt. I apologize to Prime Junta and prodigydancer for not being a good sport.

After White Marsh Pt.2 is released I'd like if one of you wrote the PoE review for the CRPG Book and argued neutrally positive to its favor.

But I still dislike PoE and your puny logic can't change that. :ehue:

You sir are a gentleman. :salute:

I apologise for getting personal towards the latter part of the thread. It was uncalled-for, even if this shit is IMPORTANT.

Prime Junta

Who even gives a shit about build diversity in a party based game. For crying out loud you buncha retarded cucks, every last one of you.

Preach it brother! In fact in a party-based game, who gives a shit about stats, skills, or proficiencies? Let's just have standard unit types: mages, fighters, clerics, and thieves who level up automatically as they go!

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
But I still dislike PoE
And that's OK. I may not always agree with what you say but it's infinitely more fun to read and reply to than yet another round of unsubstantial "PoE is shit, losers" / "Shut up, PoE is great" trash.

BTW, Some people might think that I can't stand anyone who criticizes PoE. Not true. For example, I read Darth Roxor's review with great interest though I could contest every paragraph (it's been done before so I won't do it right here). What I can't stand is people who don't have anything useful to say and don't understand when enough is enough.

As for writing a TWM2 review, I can't promise anything (sorry). I already feel guilty for promising MRY detailed feedback on his writing in TToN and being too slow to deliver it (about 50% done so far). But I'll honestly try.

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
Looking at builds in the Obsidian forum, for someone like me who has been waiting for WM2 to come out to replay the game after I played it once when it came out, I was surprised by how it seems a huge numbers of build are actually gear-dependant.

It's... I still remember people here ranting on how none of the unique items were uniques and the itemization is shit, but apparently people in the Obsidian forums strongly believe that the unique items are build-enabling.

Did that change, or is it a case of the codex/obsidian forum being at odd?

Prime Junta

Looking at builds in the Obsidian forum, for someone like me who has been waiting for WM2 to come out to replay the game after I played it once when it came out, I was surprised by how it seems a huge numbers of build are actually gear-dependant.

It's... I still remember people here ranting on how none of the unique items were uniques and the itemization is shit, but apparently people in the Obsidian forums strongly believe that the unique items are build-enabling.

A bit of both.

Mostly it's that it took a while for anyone -- including the Obsidian forums -- to figure out just how build-enabling the gear is. Over there it started... I dunno, maybe six months ago or so, when a couple of users started posting creative/offbeat builds making use of unusual item properties.

Also, version 2.0 made a big difference, partly because there were some tweaks to the items, but mostly because it made the game harder due to the AI changes and it introduced more talents and abilities which created more item/ability synergies. White March did even more by introducing even more items with even more unusual properties.

I.e. most of that was already there and we just didn't realise it -- because it's a bit subtle and requires that you actually understand the mechanics, and because the game was so easy it never really pushed you to look for them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

A bit of both.

Mostly it's that it took a while for anyone -- including the Obsidian forums -- to figure out just how build-enabling the gear is. Over there it started... I dunno, maybe six months ago or so, when a couple of users started posting creative/offbeat builds making use of unusual item properties.

Also, version 2.0 made a big difference, partly because there were some tweaks to the items, but mostly because it made the game harder due to the AI changes and it introduced more talents and abilities which created more item/ability synergies. White March did even more by introducing even more items with even more unusual properties.

I.e. most of that was already there and we just didn't realise it -- because it's a bit subtle and requires that you actually understand the mechanics, and because the game was so easy it never really pushed you to look for them.
This sounds cool. I can't wait to play the updated version. :bounce:

Prime Junta

can you make a Raistlin build yet (physically frail and magically extremely potent

Not exactly but check out Zeblastian Hurtstacker. It's the glass cannon to end all glass cannons.

Mama Hurtstacker: "Son, get up, put on your robes, file your horns and start studying!"
Zeblastian: "But mom! I am le tired! Too tired to file my horns and too tired to learn these stupid bonus spells. I. Need. To. Rest!"
Mama: "You ugly, lazy green son of a stag! I will give you a beating for every rest you take from now on!"
Zeblastian: "Now that's motivating! Thanks mom! You called yourself a stag by the way..." *gets slapped*

Years later, after finishing studies and detonating his mom into clots, Zeblastian doffed and burned his robes and went out to finally get some rest - and find some friends, too.
He had to flee the Living Lands though because the authorities didn't like detonating people (especially moms) too much. And they also didn't appreciate him beeing a nudist now.
He went to the Dyrwood, reached Gilded Vale and entered a bar. While most of the guets looked at him with disgust, there where two adventurers who didn't. One was a wild orlan druid in heavy armor who was called Batsh!t Crazy and the other one an elven rogue that dressed up like a bee. Teehee!
Zeblastian quickly decided that they were even more bonkers than him - so he further decided to team up with them. What a nice coincidence. Blasting Time! Excellent!

Neanderthal

Arcane
Cheers Prime Junta but it's not exactly what i'm after, might should be like constitution and dexterity lower as well. Guess you just can't make this build in Poe.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cheers Prime Junta but it's not exactly what i'm after, might should be like constitution and dexterity lower as well. Guess you just can't make this build in Poe.

Just convince yourself that what made Raistlin powerful wasn't the fact that his spells did "more damage" than other wizards (which is kind of banal if you think about it, isn't it?)

Although you can get that too by increasing Accuracy therefore getting more critical hits.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larp? No ta, sides it dunt matter i'll just go wi someat else, every system has builds you can't make, dunt matter.

Well, it doesn't have to be LARPing. Magic spells do lots of damage anyway - you can consider Raistlin as a guy who managed to transcend his physical limitations through knowledge and skill (symbolized through the taking of various damage-increasing talents, perhaps: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Talent#All.2FUtility)

Neanderthal

Arcane
Yeah but wi crappy might he's gonna get a penalty to is spellslinging at beginning, whereas he should be stronger from get go, this is his forte. I'll just go wi someat else, rather than try an make up, its obvious meant that only pysically strong av strong souls for whatever reason.

Reminds me o Glen Hoddle old England footy manager actually, said deformed an that had dun someat wrong in a past life an were being punished, twat got canned sharpish after that, looked normal but he were a right fucking nutter. You'd a thought he'd a known better growing up when Thalidomyde were still remembered.

Mind you not sayin Obsidian are sayin that, just reminded me on it.

Prime Junta

Larp? No ta, sides it dunt matter i'll just go wi someat else, every system has builds you can't make, dunt matter.

Yeah, Might isn't everything, and direct-damage spells aren't even the best in the wizard's repertoire. I have a hunch that making a wizard with 3 CON and, say, 5-6 MIG (frail enough?) would be pretty rewarding. With maxed-out DEX and PER in addition to INT he'll cast really fast and hit/crit a lot, which will make up for the loss in MIG. Pick your talents intelligently and favour debuff/disable spells before direct damage, and he'll be scary good.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Na dex should be medium as he's a lunger, good hand agility but nowt wi feet. I'd prefer he be good at all spells, e's givin up all might an combat ability for this, seems a fair trade off as hes no chance in a scrap.

I'll just go wi an 1800 strength fighter build, massive damage, good toughness and the usual.

Cheers for all help anyway lads, much obliged.

Prime Junta

Good luck.

I like your idiom by the way. Makes a change from received pronunciation. :thumbsup:

Lhynn

Arcane
Preach it brother! In fact in a party-based game, who gives a shit about stats, skills, or proficiencies? Let's just have standard unit types: mages, fighters, clerics, and thieves who level up automatically as they go!
Thats not what i meant little shill, what im talking about is loss of flexibility all around. Build diversity can be translated to picking what you are going to suck at in PoE and in most games nowadays really. You had several tactics at your disposal because you had options in BG2. Because of the loss in flexibility you end up doing whatever you are best at in PoE, over and over again. Weve been tru this before.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ugh this thread just fell into a big circle jerk.. It's getting cringe worthy to read.

This thread has always been a circle jerk, it's just that it was the haters jerking each other off before.

:ehue:

Brofist Crusade said:
  1. Stillwater Giant
  2. Fry
    Savant, Mudcrab
  3. One-and-a-half-Ivan
    Savant, Mudcrab, from The last dictatorship of Europe
  4. Bonerbill
    Learned, from North Carolina
  5. Prime Junta
    Arcane, Mudcrab
  6. Jinn
    Educated, Mudcrab, 27
  7. Jaesun
    Fabulous Moderator, from Seattle, WA USA

Sannom

Augur
This is not real news, but still, I'm kind of amazed that Fiona Staples made a PoE fanart :

Sannom

Augur
What it this, stuttering day?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom