Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
Also if the PC is starting as a level 1 character why not just make it a different character to start a new game from, especially since we are going to be in an entirely different part of the world? It would also not alienate players who has not played the first game yet.

Save import is awesome. If someone's gonna play this they should play the first one also, if not, as Josh said there'll be in-game choices to determine world-state, like the Conquest in Tyranny. And I'm sure Obs will dump enough lore so newbs will get familiar with everything in no time. If it doesn't work...fuck newbs. Why wouldn't I get to continue my journey just cos some newbies could get "alienated"?

Level 1 is better than previous cap I agree but if you are going to do that why not just a new character honestly I just don't get developers sometimes. I guess it's easier to hook the plot from last character but you can literally have same plot and just be a person that recently arrived in deadfire or is going to deadfire to track down a huge adra statue, the reveal would be grander as well when you learn the previous watcher's soul was absorbed.

Its much easier to have a new character and no save import, like most other devs do with their games. But just cos you want a new character and the save import at the same time you don't get the developers...

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
They had to do something. Endgame Wizards and Priests are kind of bullshit.

I assume we lose soulbound weapons as well. I will miss Abydon's Hammer :(
Since Eothas stole your soul I struggle to see how you'd be able to wield soulboud weapons at all.
Still, they should have just removed ~10 levels from the PC and then be done with it. Starting over from 1 is shit.
Level 1 is a little extreme, unless they plan to completely overhaul all the classes and abilities. That would lend some sense to the full reset, but I have not heard anything along those lines.

Vadimko

Novice
Oke, lurking this forum for six years, but now I'm finally here, coz I'm frustrated.
I'm surprised that noone here isn't furious about fucking poe figurines. Tbh, they make almost all boss fights laughable, even PotD.
I'm guessing not many people tried fucking the figurines.
Anyway, they have to be excluded from the sequel. An hour ago I fought huge mushroom inside Stalwart mines. I've made some tries without figurines - no luck. Then I used them and owned those Vithracks and tentacles, they had no chance.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Also if the PC is starting as a level 1 character why not just make it a different character to start a new game from, especially since we are going to be in an entirely different part of the world? It would also not alienate players who has not played the first game yet.

Save import is awesome. If someone's gonna play this they should play the first one also, if not, as Josh said there'll be in-game choices to determine world-state, like the Conquest in Tyranny. And I'm sure Obs will dump enough lore so newbs will get familiar with everything in no time. If it doesn't work...fuck newbs. Why wouldn't I get to continue my journey just cos some newbies could get "alienated"?

Level 1 is better than previous cap I agree but if you are going to do that why not just a new character honestly I just don't get developers sometimes. I guess it's easier to hook the plot from last character but you can literally have same plot and just be a person that recently arrived in deadfire or is going to deadfire to track down a huge adra statue, the reveal would be grander as well when you learn the previous watcher's soul was absorbed.

Its much easier to have a new character and no save import, like most other devs do with their games. But just cos you want a new character and the save import at the same time you don't get the developers...

I don't want a save import in the slightest, hell I would prefer an entirely different character in a time before events in PoE1 personally, akin to how Shadowrun is, same world but in different parts and times. It's just bioware epic journey high-stakes trilogy they are doing here or perhaps witcher which also had a stupid implementation of levels in their games past first one.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Deleveling the player back to 1 is a lazy dick move to do. I thought Sawyer was a much more ambitious designer.

Instead we go back to the same or similar level range (I doubt the game will be that much bigger in size and exp), the same abilities, with the only benefit being kits.

Obsidian cucks itself after hitting a home run.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't want a save import in the slightest, hell I would prefer an entirely different character in a time before events in PoE1 personally

Its your preference but there are a handful of devs who do save imports while vast number of franchises have sequels with either new characters or forced pre-states. I don't get why you don't get the developers.

Its like TB&RTwP thing. There are handful of RTwP games vs vast number of TB games but some people want everything to be TB.

Jezal_k23

To achieve higher levels, either there will be more content, or the XP rewards will be a lot higher.

ushas

Savant
If you directly or indirectly got a companion killed or never recruited them in your save game, they will not be present in the Deadfire.
So, if not only killing but also never recruiting is enough not to even meet the old ones, then I guess there will be at minumum 4 new companions...

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I don't want a save import in the slightest, hell I would prefer an entirely different character in a time before events in PoE1 personally

Its your preference but there are a handful of devs who do save imports while vast number of franchises have sequels with either new characters or forced pre-states. I don't get why you don't get the developers.

Its like TB&RTwP thing. There are handful of RTwP games vs vast number of TB games but some people want everything to be TB.

I am okay with save imports. What I don't understand is the combination of save import and a starting level 1 character.

Quillon

Arcane
What I don't understand is the combination of save import and a starting level 1 character.

Level 1 character makes sense(cos they gave the reason :P) to me; there'll be multi-classing and subclasses, ok start the game with these at level 12, this would get newbies alienated moar.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What I don't understand is the combination of save import and a starting level 1 character.

Level 1 character makes sense(cos they gave the reason :P) to me; there'll be multi-classing and subclasses, ok start the game with these at level 12, this would get newbies alienated moar.

Look here, everyone.

This guy is Obsidian's target audience.

Sentinel

Arcane
So how is this even gonna work? Are we gonna have completely different spells or are they gonna recycle the spells from PoE1?
Also what happened to the little orlan baby? How much time has passed between PoE1 and 2?

Hyperion

Arcane
Wait...what's the explanation for companions dropping to level 1? Does Eder getting fat and lazy as Mayor count as deleveling?

Quillon

Arcane

Look here, everyone.

This guy is Obsidian's target audience.

Gotta say whatever I suggested in official forums are happening, I might be dat.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So... Eder, Pallegina, Aloth... they´re both level 15, but I´m at 1. Well... ok. This is fucking retarded.

Congratulations to those involved in this decision.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Strange decision to have save import combined with level reset. Hopefully it will help avoid the XP balance problems. at least. Vanilla game was a snoozefest after certain level, and in WM2 you basically have to plan your route not to overlevel major content too much.

Delterius

Arcane
Assuming that progression will still be expanded past WM's max level, I could see this working. Enfeebled by your broken soul, you retreat the first 10 or so levels with new companions. Once you are close to your old level of power you reunite with Eder/Aloth/Pallegina. Maybe one of them actually needs to recover from the attack of the irate 500 foot god of niceness. There, you don't need to design 10 more levels of power and the storytelling feels slightly less forced.

Mazisky

Magister
So, confirmed that in POE2 we'll start from scratch with a LVL 1 character.

I personally think it's a wise choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom