Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ivan

Arcane
article-1376189-0B9971CB00000578-529_468x286.jpg

fTsi5.png

Efe

Erudite
cannibalism at sea reminds me of sunless sea.
i hope it wont be as bad

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
People started talking about sea thematic and I want to play "Sid Meter's Pirates!" again...

Anyway, you people sail in Sea of Eventualities too far from home and completely forgot about that we talking about RPG, not sailor simulator. Of course it could be nice to have all things which you described (except cannibalism, sorry guys but it's sounds cool only if you live in comfy modern house and sitting behind the screen while tip your fedora and drink sugar tea until first dock where you will be executed), but I think we will be have at best a different weather types with storms and sea monster encounters.

You see, hunger/thirst systems can be nice addition to the game, but you forget that these things need to be balanced and here things become more complicated than it seems on paper. Not to mention that if we want sink for money, like hunger/thirst system, we want also have decent source of money in every port. Because in another case player and his team will have stuck in city without money, supplies and water. Maybe hardcore gamers will say "Well it's the end of game, try new/load again", but it is not solution since we talking about not piss poor islands like it was in Sid Meter's Pirates, but about RPG where according to lore over9000 towns populated with people who can give you a job. IRL that problem had solution - find a job in port or deeper in mainland, but since it is impossible to create map in size of Daggerfall with modern graphics (or possible, but let's say VERY time and money consuming) for every fucking island and very hard to do in size of Arcanum - only way to gain gold is job in port.

And there come problems with NPC AI, because they can’t generate new well written quests (dream of every developer) so player is about to do tedious quests like in any MMO and do that ove9000 times. That problem can be solved by adding dungeon in every city, but dungeon in middle of big city looks like alien on KKK meeting prison in middle of Red-light district, not to mention that respawn of enemies should be lore wise, not like in MMO. Not to mention that all dungeons should be individual for every city, because it's not Oblivion or mods on BG - you can't copy&past same location over9000 times but with different angles. There also way to make loot in trash bins respawn so you can craft useful shit and sell it, like in Arcanum, but I don't think many people would like to running around map and gather garbage for hours with reward in small pile of gold.

I think balance problems with thirst/hunger system can be too much complicated for realisation such system in game + there a lot of other things which should be balanced and done better than in previous game.

P.S. I know my English sucks, but all I wanted to say that most likely hunger will be not implemented in game. Because many reasons.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People started talking about sea thematic and I want to play "Sid Meter's Pirates!" again...

Anyway, you people sail in Sea of Eventualities too far from home and completely forgot about that we talking about RPG, not sailor simulator. Of course it could be nice to have all things which you described (except cannibalism, sorry guys but it's sounds cool only if you live in comfy modern house and sitting behind the screen while tip your fedora and drink sugar tea until first dock where you will be executed), but I think we will be have at best a different weather types with storms and sea monster encounters.

You see, hunger/thirst systems can be nice addition to the game, but you forget that these things need to be balanced and here things become more complicated than it seems on paper. Not to mention that if we want sink for money, like hunger/thirst system, we want also have decent source of money in every port. Because in another case player and his team will have stuck in city without money, supplies and water. Maybe hardcore gamers will say "Well it's the end of game, try new/load again", but it is not solution since we talking about not piss poor islands like it was in Sid Meter's Pirates, but about RPG where according to lore over9000 towns populated with people who can give you a job. IRL that problem had solution - find a job in port or deeper in mainland, but since it is impossible to create map in size of Daggerfall with modern graphics (or possible, but let's say VERY time and money consuming) for every fucking island and very hard to do in size of Arcanum - only way to gain gold is job in port.

And there come problems with NPC AI, because they can’t generate new well written quests (dream of every developer) so player is about to do tedious quests like in any MMO and do that ove9000 times. That problem can be solved by adding dungeon in every city, but dungeon in middle of big city looks like alien on KKK meeting prison in middle of Red-light district, not to mention that respawn of enemies should be lore wise, not like in MMO. Not to mention that all dungeons should be individual for every city, because it's not Oblivion or mods on BG - you can't copy&past same location over9000 times but with different angles. There also way to make loot in trash bins respawn so you can craft useful shit and sell it, like in Arcanum, but I don't think many people would like to running around map and gather garbage for hours with reward in small pile of gold.

I think balance problems with thirst/hunger system can be too much complicated for realisation such system in game + there a lot of other things which should be balanced and done better than in previous game.

P.S. I know my English sucks, but all I wanted to say that most likely hunger will be not implemented in game. Because many reasons.

If the Akella pirate games could manage it, hopefully Obsidian can do it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Why announce it like that? We'll understand if there are gay people in when we play the game.

Because many games don't have gay people in them despite having more than ~40 NPCs (assuming gay people are 2.5% of the population)
Because every gay npc should be named Gay Faggot and all of his dialog options with strangers being "i'm gay. i do only gay things"?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What if you helped Wael or Skaen? I think helping Skaen is the most interesting outcome and has the most potential for drama.

Also, next update when?

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
Don't really get what he means here, since you don't have to make a pledge to a god to beat the game. I forget if you get the option to outright refuse in Teir Evron, but if you say "maybe" to every god maybe they'll be angry in PoE2

Yes you do? What are you talking about

The thing you can do is betray them and choose other options at the final machine

Quillon

Arcane

Shots fired I guess. I also think DoS2's environments are fine but its character & equipment models are shit.

Anyway I think 2D's beauty is overrated and 3D cam controls are over-criticized thanks to few games with bad programming/optimization etc.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I agree that, if someday they can pull off that (perceived) details of 2D iso in real-time 3D with modest system requirements, why bother all the additional works and compromises to matching 2D and 3D elements. I think that day is not that far away.

Prime Junta

TBH I've been thinking about this for a while. The rendering pipeline in Pillars must be an utter bastard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom