Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did anyone get/can repeat what exactly did he explain about "penetration"?

Stuff I got down:
- some creatures have grapples - The Engwithan Saint grabs throws players
- dodge animations when a character misses
- the relationships won't display any numbers
- Weapons will be more unique, no more mass producing flaming swords through enchantment
- Weight is still not part of the inventory. Personal inventories are a bit smaller.
- Walking in Deadfire - has been discussed but not a high priority.
- Sheathing weapons is in the game when not in combat.

Arulan

Cipher
He also said that companion barks will change based on your relationship status. He gave the example of giving Edér a piece of armor while in a negative relationship and him saying "Carry it yourself!". You won't be able to hide the relationship tree, although there are no numbers or meters present.

Sizzle

Arcane

I listened to it, but I honestly still don't understand how exactly it differs from PoE1's damage reduction, and why it's supposed to be clearer to the player.

- some creatures have grapples - The Engwithan Saint grabs throws players

Next step - ooze grappling :D

- Weapons will be more unique, no more mass producing flaming swords through enchantment

He said that unlike PoE1, we won't be able to give every weapon (enchantment slots permitting) every possible enchantment off a list. So, if a sword has the flaming property, you'll be able to enhance that property further, but won't be able to give it to a weapon that doesn't already have that property. He used the example: if a weapon has the "Bonus to damage against Dragons" property, we'll be able to enhance it to "Dragon Slaying".

We've known this for some time, but it's really such a nice little idea. I remember that when meeting Pallegina for the first time, she had her great sword sheathed (not really - she was just unarmed in one weapon slot, and the GS was in another, but that's the effect it gave) on her back, and she stood out from the rest of the maniacs in the game who always had their weapons out :D

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

We've known this for some time, but it's really such a nice little idea. I remember that when meeting Pallegina for the first time, she had her great sword sheathed (not really - she was just unarmed in one weapon slot, and the GS was in another, but that's the effect it gave) on her back, and she stood out from the rest of the maniacs in the game who always had their weapons out :D
I hope shields aren't hidden inside your ass like in tranny.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Campaign earned 60k since yesterday at around this same time (one hour earlier, to be precise).

Now I have no doubt we will reach relationships goal and call it a campaign.

A shame about the Fulvano's voyage destinations, it gets difficult to promote these kind of things without spamming forums. In Reddit it would prove a valuable asset. Just slap on "New Vegas makers" and people would upvote like crazy and Like + Follow on Twitter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm a bit sorry they are again making an "inventory for people who don't want an inventory". When you have a limitless inventory it kind of defeats the purpose of having inventories for individual party members. Or of Eder's grumpy remarks when you try to give him an item but his inventory is full. It will just be cosmetic. Sad.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

I listened to it, but I honestly still don't understand how exactly it differs from PoE1's damage reduction, and why it's supposed to be clearer to the player.

See here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...nouncement-thread.107770/page-26#post-4746071

(You read that :M)
What a convoluted way to say the game will have armor pen and damage vs armor. P. standard RPG design. Except he goes with percentages instead of flat values because he has a hardon for multiplying by fractions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What a convoluted way to say the game will have armor pen and damage vs armor. P. standard RPG design.

Hmmm, I think RPGs often have an armor system where armor types have a fixed percentage of damage they reduce (maybe per damage type) regardless of weapon. But not something like this where there's a percentage that's dynamically determined by comparing armor and a weapon's penetration stat.

AwesomeButton

Patron

See here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...nouncement-thread.107770/page-26#post-4746071

(You read that :M)
Yes, about half a year ago :M

It sounds promising actually.

If he throws away the d100 (for a d24 for example) and fractions of second effect durations (which I think is more probable with the revised combat pacing), this might turn into an non-cumbersome system.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm a bit sorry they are again making an "inventory for people who don't want an inventory". When you have a limitless inventory it kind of defeats the purpose of having inventories for individual party members. Or of Eder's grumpy remarks when you try to give him an item but his inventory is full. It will just be cosmetic. Sad.

That smacks more of their unwillingness to make smart loot tables and instead go the easy route and give you 142389423740234238 kobold spears.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What a convoluted way to say the game will have armor pen and damage vs armor. P. standard RPG design.

Hmmm, I think RPGs often have an armor system where armor types have a fixed percentage of damage they reduce (maybe per damage type) regardless of weapon. But not something like this where there's a percentage that's dynamically determined by comparing armor and a weapon's penetration stat.
I mean RPGs in general not just on computard, but then again even wow has had armor penetration for ages.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

That smacks more of their unwillingness to make smart loot tables and instead go the easy route and give you 142389423740234238 kobold spears.
Its' because of imbeciles trained by Bethesda games to pick up everything that isn't nailed down.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I mean RPGs in general not just on computard, but then again even wow has had armor penetration for ages.

Depends what you mean by "armor penetration". PoE1 had "DR bypass".

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Ye it wasn't a core mechanic just plastered on some stuff. I wonder if they'll keep raw damage or just unify it with that and anything that would be raw damage just 100% penetrates everything.

I really dislike this percentage-based implementation, this could have been a nice opportunity to get rid of all that crap.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ye it wasn't a core mechanic just plastered on some stuff. I wonder if they'll keep raw damage or just unify it with that and anything that's raw damage just 100% penetrates everything.

That seems like a useful thing to keep, especially now that the game also has grognardy exceptions to the rules like a Magic Missile spell that bypasses all defenses.

Sizzle

Arcane
Assuming they reach that cap, that's $3.6M guaranteed.

Didn't Feargus say somewhere that they already have around 3mil in Fig Funds (but are slowly letting them get accounted into the total balance) alone? Or am I misremembering that?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Assuming they reach that cap, that's $3.6M guaranteed.

I'm estimating at least 4.2M in total. Fig funds + backers + paypal.

Fig funds: 2,25M
Backers: 1,38M + (9 x 50k) = 1,38M + 0,45M = 1,83M

2,25 + 1,83 = 4,08M

Paypal should do the rest.

Last edited:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

gosh that was so funny yesterday from Josh and the Valentine's Day announcement, what a great actor being all shy and coy on the picnic blanket lol! I do like what he had to say but I do hope that it adds more to the companionship built within the party as a whole than it will be with falling in love and having romance because even in Shadows of Amn I always picked the dialog option to stop the romance of any character from moving forward because I like to explore and do side quests along with following the story than have interpersonal party distractions of conversations happening all the time. Even normal conversations got jarring when they would just suddenly pop up out of the blue like in the tunnels of Beholders as if it is okay to have such a conversation when one could be lurking right around the corner right?

So as long as it builds a more cohesive unit in the party with smart banter and character development between party members I think it will be promising especially if it helps drive the main story. So +1 for the idea and -1 if it goes any higher than that I agree with the majority here.

But what concerns me is the Voyage of Fulvano and turning around when the giant skull island appeared which is not very original because almost any pirate theme book or movie or even a game seems to have a Skull Island so I hope the pirate theme in Deadfire is not full of pirate clichés although the Goonies movie did a good job of being a pirate theme movie. Where is Fulvano going now? Back to the main island where we know what is there already with the pirate port Dunnage? The ship is going to run a ground if it gets any closer to those rocks. I hope the captain turns due east and goes that way if they meet the number of backers needed.

p.s. Oh and sorry about my last outburt it won't happen again because I will not be posting if I have been drinking wine and let things calm down here with everyone.

Thanks,
Randal

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom