Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Turjan

Arcane
nice photo irenaeus,now take one without holding your breath.
Check Codex Members Pictures threads for pics of me. Or anywhere some butthurt faggot says I'm black.
7XxZS9f.jpg

But really, why do you always react to this each and every time? It's so easy.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Turjan

Arcane
And yes, I realize that Durance might've thrown himself on the pyre, if you didn't finish the nonsense part of his quest, but given that he's a Priest of Magran, I think it would've been an interesting twist to reveal that he didn't actually die, and that his staff didn't actually burn, even though Magran does not speak to him - and similar arguments could be raised with Aloth, who you can actually end up casting out (if I remember correctly, you can even kill him..?).
I don't know. I don't like it when figures with a strong character arc come back. I know that it's an understandable wish to see more of these characters, because they made this great impression during the first round. But somehow, the sequels are usually letdowns. It cheapens the experience. Let them be and let them become that fond memory everyone cherishes.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
Éder is not racist, btw.

I just wrote a couple of pages ago that they're rewriting the character with SJW concepts and it was expected because the writers are tumblerinas butthurt that Trump won and will be their president for the next 8 years.

We've been over this - not racist as in American South KKK member, but racist as in ignorant, because he lived in a country which fought with Orlans and still considers them second-class citizens.

Listen to his banters with Hiravias:

It's obvious there's no outright malicious intent in Eder's words, but it doesn't change the fact that he does have some strange ideas about Orlans, especially Wild Orlans.

It's the same sort of thinking some illiterate serf in the middle ages might have about a man from another country: "You know, I'm glad you're one of the good Polaks/Spaniards/Krauts, and not one of those who eat babies and rape badgers."

All of this doesn't mean Eder will cheer when you persecute savages the brave indigenous peoples who inhabit the Deadfire Archipelago, but that he'll be oblivious when you blurt out something that could be construed as racist in modern terms. Again, I feel this only makes him a more believable and nuanced character.

Yup. He was xenophobic, not racist. He hated all foreigners equally.

Especially Aedaryans and Readcerans. But he did have several disparaging comments about Orlans. And women, of course.

No wonder he's the Codex's favorite character :D

Turjan

Arcane
Especially Aedaryans and Readcerans. But he did have several disparaging comments about Orlans. And women, of course.
Also the main char.

"The last thing the Dyrwood needs is another foreign colony."

Yes, you asshole, you already told me 50 times.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Éder is not racist, btw.

I just wrote a couple of pages ago that they're rewriting the character with SJW concepts and it was expected because the writers are tumblerinas butthurt that Trump won and will be their president for the next 8 years.

We've been over this - not racist as in American South KKK member, but racist as in ignorant, because he lived in a country which fought with Orlans and still considers them second-class citizens.

Listen to his banters with Hiravias:

It's obvious there's no outright malicious intent in Eder's words, but it doesn't change the fact that he does have some strange ideas about Orlans, especially Wild Orlans.

It's the same sort of thinking some illiterate serf in the middle ages might have about a man from another country: "You know, I'm glad you're one of the good Polaks/Spaniards/Krauts, and not one of those who eat babies and rape badgers."

All of this doesn't mean Eder will cheer when you persecute savages the brave indigenous peoples who inhabit the Deadfire Archipelago, but that he'll be oblivious when you blurt out something that could be construed as racist in modern terms. Again, I feel this only makes him a more believable and nuanced character.

That's not being racist, that's just common sense. You are swallowing SJW corruptions which may have turned you into A FAG.

This is being racist:

UFhIh8E.jpg

I played a Wild Orlan Female Ranger in my first playthrough and Éder made zero comments about that. I imagine if I import my character to PoE2: TumblrFire he will start shouting whatever Insane Libruls (but I repeat myself) think WHYPEPO scream at poor minorities.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Check Codex Members Pictures threads for pics of me. Or anywhere some butthurt faggot says I'm black.
7XxZS9f.jpg

Easy what?

Yeah, I always react when insulted and called a nigger. What a fucking unexpected reaction.

The funny thing is that in the picture I posted it was only one who looked like he had any negroid genes. The other one, with the sign that Irenaeus could have written, looked like a young tanned caucasian to me.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
7XxZS9f.jpg

Easy what?

Yeah, I always react when insulted and called a nigger. What a fucking unexpected reaction.

The funny thing is that in the picture I posted it was only one who looked like he had any negroid genes. The other one, with the sign that Irenaeus could have written, looked like a young tanned caucasian to me.

I don't have any picture where I look like I have negroid genes because I haven't any.

Kill yourself, butthurt faggot.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
7XxZS9f.jpg

Easy what?

I don't have any picture where I look like I have negroid genes because I haven't any.

Learn to read, pal.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
7XxZS9f.jpg

Easy what?

Learn to read, pal.

Go fuck yourself, loser.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
And yes, I realize that Durance might've thrown himself on the pyre, if you didn't finish the nonsense part of his quest, but given that he's a Priest of Magran, I think it would've been an interesting twist to reveal that he didn't actually die, and that his staff didn't actually burn, even though Magran does not speak to him - and similar arguments could be raised with Aloth, who you can actually end up casting out (if I remember correctly, you can even kill him..?).
I don't know. I don't like it when figures with a strong character arc come back. I know that it's an understandable wish to see more of these characters, because they made this great impression during the first round. But somehow, the sequels are usually letdowns. It cheapens the experience. Let them be and let them become that fond memory everyone cherishes.
I'm inclined to agree, I'm mostly annoyed to see Pallegina, Aloth and Edér come back, rather than Durance. It would be much less annoying (like, not at all) if no-one came back. Pallegina and Aloth were shit compared to Edér and Durance, and still weaker than many other characters that have just as much or even clearer reasons to be involved.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pretty much all that update says is that you'll probably get EDER APPROVAL +1 when your character drops some racist jokes like Eder's (or others that have a similar life ie. Dyrford, Gilded Vale people) in PoE 1. And that that could lead to conflict with someone who has a reason to get APPROVAL -1 from the same comments.

Yet some have managed to imagine up a story line where you're forced to turn a suddenly lynch-happy Klansman-Eder (and this is already awful because "can't believe they've changed him to this now!") in to Sunshine from Remember the Titans. And are furious that Obsidian would write such a thing, a thing you've created in your own head.

Turjan

Arcane
I'm inclined to agree, I'm mostly annoyed to see Pallegina, Aloth and Edér come back, rather than Durance. It would be much less annoying (like, not at all) if no-one came back. Pallegina and Aloth were shit compared to Edér and Durance, and still weaker than many other characters that have just as much or even clearer reasons to be involved.
Oh well. Edér has a very good reason to come back, as a follower of Eothas. Also, I quite liked him. His story was very down-to-earth, and though it wasn't exciting, he appeared like a real human being. I have no idea about Aloth. I didn't care much for his story or the character, and I'm not sure why he's back (Leaden Key connections?). Regarding Pallegina, the actual story was weak, even if I found her quite okay. She had lots of banter though, especially with Kana Rua. Maybe the latter is a connection.

2house2fly

Magister
Within mere hours, Sawyer's use of "racist" as shorthand for "will make thoughtless comments about how the shark people tribals live differently than he does and probably offend some party members" evolved into Eder definitely having a storyline where he learns that racism is wrong, a story has to pass the Bechdel test to be any good, and that you don't need to experience dysphoria to be trans, and the storyline of the entire game being judged purely on that basis of that conjecture. Shine on you crazy psychos.

Turjan

Arcane
Within mere hours, Sawyer's use of "racist" as shorthand for "will make thoughtless comments about how the shark people tribals live differently than he does and probably offend some party members" ...
The exact words were even "mildly racist".

fobia

Pretty much all that update says is that you'll probably get EDER APPROVAL +1 when your character drops some racist jokes like Eder's (or others that have a similar life ie. Dyrford, Gilded Vale people) in PoE 1. And that that could lead to conflict with someone who has a reason to get APPROVAL -1 from the same comments.

Yet some have managed to imagine up a story line where you're forced to turn a suddenly lynch-happy Klansman-Eder (and this is already awful because "can't believe they've changed him to this now!") in to Sunshine from Remember the Titans. And are furious that Obsidian would write such a thing, a thing you've created in your own head.

That happens when you believe mostly in things you've created in your head in general. :M

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
We've been over this [...]
Yes, we have, and it was made clear that the claim that Edér is racist is complete horseshit.

The fact that you have to make some comparison to "some illiterate serf in the middle-ages" just showcase how fucking stupid it is, not only because that illiterate serf would in no way be referring to races, but because some form of this type of prejudice has been the norm for the vast majority of human history, far from being the views of some specific illiterate, or any kind of serf, let alone in the middle-ages. Stop using "racism" for some kind of catch-all pejorative that you can bend to suit your agenda at any one time.

You can call Edér's commonplace and casual opinions of orlans a lot of things, and you can over-dramatize, re-interpret and masturbate over the "problematization" of his sardonic joke regarding whether a dwarf hanging right next to his friends counts as a full person or not, but if you're using it as some kind of measurement of racism, you're not only an idiot, but you'll need to apply that label to the vast majority of characters both real and imagined, and call it a defining character trait, including Hiravias' opinions regarding non-Glanfathans and Palleginas opinions regarding Aedyrans and their culture (or lack thereof); both which are far more pronounced than any claim that Edér is "racist".

Sizzle

Arcane
I played a Wild Orlan Female Ranger in my first playthrough and Éder made zero comments about that.

It's called the main character syndrome :) The same way you could become the head of House Telvanni in Morrowind even if you played as an Argonian ;)

It looks like they learned their lesson from F:NV (which, apart from Raul the Ghoul, lacked a strongly pro-Legion character), and every companion will represent a specific faction or worldview:

Eder - pro-Eothasian
Aloth - the Leaden Key interests (regardless if he's leading them or wants them destroyed)
Pallegina - the Vailian Republics
Maia Rua - Rautai
Serafen - Pirates
Xoti - Eastern Reach refugee/settler
Blue Guy - the indigenous Aumaua

2house2fly

Magister
Pallegina's kind of trans btw. Infertile women in the Vailian republics are essentially men, which is why she was allowed to join a paladin Brotherhood.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
7XxZS9f.jpg

Easy what?

Kill yourself, butthurt faggot.

M'lady doth protest a little tooo vigorously

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

My problem with Aloth is that the writers spent a disproportionate amount of time on the twin soul and not Aloth's association with the Leaden Key. The Leaden Key association was infinitely more interesting in my opinion, but it did not arise until the final chapter. It was a chance to humanize and explore what type of person joined the Leaden Key. Instead, we got bogged down with the raunchy dwarf personality.

Also, while I liked that we could convince Aloth to either destroy the Leaden Key or lead it, that came out of nowhere in my opinion. Throughout the game, we saw nothing that would suggest that Aloth was capable of taking Thaos' place or hunting down the organization.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I doubt that will be the case. Being racist, no matter how casual, shouldn't grant approval from Edér. Going by the update, seems more likely that his racist trait will create some conflict with the Orlan companion, where we would be capable of intervine and support it, correct him and such.

The approval +1 and that sort of stuff seems more focused on the pets and Eothas in Edér's case. Again, this system isn't just for the PC+companions, but also companions+companions. The racist tag for Edér just means that this time, when making racist comments to the Orlan companion, will have consequences to how characters see each other, and will not just be fun but ultimately irrelevant banter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom