Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm guessing those are Witcher 3 style free DLCs, aka, we love our fans so much, look at all this stuff we're giving away. No wait, we really don't, it's just bunch of shit we didn't finish in time for launch.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yay, more items you didn't earn clogging up your inventory as you start the game! Again, I would've been okay with this if they were populated somewhere in the game world, as opposed to just being plonked in your inventory at the start, it's very game-y that way and runs counter to the idea of exploration.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
These CR fags make money by playing D&D and starring in CRPGs? How dare they!

Watching other people play games isn't my thing either, but I like the VA work on Eder and Aloth.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Oh noes!!! Obsidian is attempting to market to a demographic other than codexers. How dare they try to expand their audience
:whiteknight:
As if the site that nominated Witcher 3 as RPG codex GOTY wasn't exactly the Obsidian target audience, you know... Fallout 1, kinda shit mechanics with a good setting/narrative, Planescape Torment, kinda shit mechanics with good setting/narrative, Morrowind, kinda shit mechanics with a good setting/narrative... catch the pattern? To this day, Obsidian followed the pattern very well, New Vegas, kinda shit mechanics but good setting/narrative, MotB, kinda shit mechanics but good setting/narrative until the great exodus.

The problem of PoE (and what seems the case of PoE 2 too) is that it has kinda shit mechanics and shit setting/narrative... now that man...that is kinda a hard bargain to be excited for.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Let's not kid ourselves. The main audience of these games are people who do not play or even understand them. They see the promos, the fancy art, the cool storyline summaries, and then they quit an hour in.

2house2fly

Magister
Also, was/is Thaos a retard?

Problem: Some tribes believe in made up gods who tell them to sacrifice children or war with some other literally who village and that's a very bad thing according to Thaos.
Solution: Create gods but destroy entire nations and spread diseases that kill millions of people to protect the secret and thats "necessary" according to Thaos.

I mean, at least, he was obviously in a very advanced state of buyer's remorse.
From Thaos's perspective, the problem is that there are no gods and therefore no objective order or meaning to the universe, and he believes that if people in general find this out they will fall into the same despair as him. So the creation of the Gods and all the atrocities he has committed to keep the secret, in his mind, is all in service to the greater good

2house2fly

Magister
PoE story begins with the caravan stopping because you are too ill and then you being sent to fight wolves to get your own medicine.

So yeah, my hopes are not very high.
The game also forgets that it just told you through a wizened old caravan leader that you'll die if you don't get the medicine because it needed to soul wind or whatever.
You don't actually have the rumbling rot. The illness you feel is the first stirrings of the inquisitor's soul Awakening within you. When you witness Thaos and the inquisitor fully awakens, the game specifically notes that you no longer feel ill. They further confirmed that the illness you have is not the rumbling rot in the 3.0 patch which added a "mysterious illness" debuff to your character in the intro. They have since admitted that their faith in the audience to be able to read between the lines was perhaps misplaced.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's so painfully irrelevant that the sickness is the stirring of an Awakening, though. It's also not a problem what Thaos believes, he's a kook, it's what an entire civilization unanimously seemed to agree on, to what conclusions they've come and the actual result at the end, but we've been over this.

2house2fly

Magister

Matt mercer obviously,
When Eder decides to sacrifice himself to restore Eothas powers
... and the god of getting one shot takes his body as a vessel like he did for waidwen.

I have to admit, I'm intrigued at the prospect of talking to Eothas and finding out what he has to say for himself. The promotional pictures they put up before the kickstarter had some quotes and I think one of them was from Eothas as well

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Yes, I remember it sounded like a typical pre-fight line like "come and witness how powerful I am".

edit : actually it could be anything
C2vXYNAUAAAGnWg.jpg:large

It's interestingly the only quote that isn't allegedly from a companion.

Fry

Arcane
Let's not kid ourselves. The main audience of these games are people who do not play or even understand them. They see the promos, the fancy art, the cool storyline summaries, and then they quit an hour in.

Rumor has it the Critical Role announcement is generating quite a bit of pre-order business.

I'm more than happy to see a bunch of suckers finance future PoE projects.

Fredward

Scholar
PoE story begins with the caravan stopping because you are too ill and then you being sent to fight wolves to get your own medicine.

The game also forgets that it just told you through a wizened old caravan leader that you'll die if you don't get the medicine because it needed to soul wind or whatever.
You don't actually have the rumbling rot. The illness you feel is the first stirrings of the inquisitor's soul Awakening within you. When you witness Thaos and the inquisitor fully awakens, the game specifically notes that you no longer feel ill. They further confirmed that the illness you have is not the rumbling rot in the 3.0 patch which added a "mysterious illness" debuff to your character in the intro. They have since admitted that their faith in the audience to be able to read between the lines was perhaps misplaced.

I guess even Codexers lack the skill to read between lines. Since when is it okay for a caravan master to send you to fetch your own medicine when you are "sweating and shivering" and someone had to ask the caravan to stop on your behalf. It is clearly a plot hook and a stupid one at that.

He's your boss not your mother. What are you gonna do, file a complaint with the caravan guard union? And of course it's a plot hook, the game needed to introduce you to the basic mechanics and establish that you don't feel well because you're Special. It's entirely serviceable.

Ruzen

Savant

I guess even Codexers lack the skill to read between lines. Since when is it okay for a caravan master to send you to fetch your own medicine when you are "sweating and shivering" and someone had to ask the caravan to stop on your behalf. It is clearly a plot hook and a stupid one at that.
It doesn't have to be some epic shit to hook people into a story. I looked back to check it again If I remember it correctly and yes, the main reason for the caravan to stop is: the caravan leader is worried about the dark when crossing this narrow path. The description already says there are no lights in the sky. Cloudy and there could be little fog and it's becoming more dangerous. So when he some dude is getting sick and people telling him about it, his worry probably multiplied and when he realized he can barely see a blocked way, he stopped the caravan. Maybe the weather would clear if some time passes... I suggest you to before reading between the lines first read the fucking line and understand it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Exactly, just look at the player statistics for the first game, or the original sin series.

Most people are impulse buyers who want to play the next shinny thing that is being hyped... Only to quit.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
May this famous bunch of compulsive buyers - who don't ask no questions and spend their bucks on tips to make sure their shit jokes reach their beloved streamer, who usually proceeds to fake laugh when he's not straight out ignoring them - known as the twitch crowd be with them.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The CR connection's been there since the first game, Codex. Why the outrage? Mercer voiced Edér and Aloth; O'Brien, Riegel and Jaffe all played some minor roles in PoE. Obsidian's also allowed CR to use their OST on their streams. CR have even mentioned both kickstarters multiple times on-stream as well, iirc. Their fanbase really is huge; the collab was a good call on Obsidian's part.

O'Brien also voiced a shit-ton of New Vegas, to the point of having several conversations with himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom