Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Allegedly no, according to Josh, because casting is now much slower.

Yeh casting is slower. One of the main consequences is that you can see an enemy start to cast which gives you a time window to clobber him so he'll lose the spell. Same applies to you ofc.

Slow enough to make combat with a spellcaster feel strategic and non-spammy/repetitive?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This has to be the worst stream I've ever watched. 1/4 of the screen for the actual game, which is partially covered by a useless window showing two guys who are talking. What the fuck for? The fan "art" was the final nail inthe coffin. I stopped watching after the first half.

When a character gets knocked down in a fight, you gain an injury which causes a lose of 25% of your maximum health until you rest (with food). After your 4th injury in a row without rest, your character will die.
This sounds good, provided the resting resources were limited, which Josh admitted they are not. Combined with the removal of per rest abilities, I'm very curious if there is going to be any challenge at all.

The little I saw of the stream showed combat that was easier to follow, but it was still the same "select all -> right click on enemy" routine, which was PoE 90% of the time, and which some wretched people consider good combat.

Around 00:35 I saw another example of dungeon design of the "let's split our map into rectangles connected with doors" school. Big letdown. That's not how dungeons should be designed.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe resting will be more restrictive at higher difficulties.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it's far too optimistic for us to hope resting isn't just a vestigial element at this point.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think he said rest resources (food) are unlimited. He said they're pretty easy to find.

The thing is, even a very large, lenient limit is qualitatively different from having no limit at all. No limit means mashing the rest button after every encounter, period. But having say, 100 pieces of food, even if you know you probably won't run out if you rest after every battle - you still don't want to see that number tick down. It changes the way you play.

Kaivokz

Arcane
  • Grimoires - Grant Wizards extra spell casts and Wizards can no longer learn spells from Grimoires

Bummer. I thought getting unique spells from the archmage grimoires, unavailable to be selected at level up, was one of the neatest parts of being a wizard.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
  • Grimoires - Grant Wizards extra spell casts and Wizards can no longer learn spells from Grimoires

Bummer. I thought getting unique spells from the archmage grimoires, unavailable to be selected at level up, was one of the neatest parts of being a wizard.

You still can. You're supposed to be able to cast the spells from the grimoires. That bullet point is unclear, unless they've changed the way grimoires work (don't think so). Prime Junta tell us if you run into any grimoires.

Starwars

Arcane
I want my slow mode back. I don't know if I'm getting old but I got into an encounter with some laguafeth and shit just happened way too quickly for my taste in combat. Already whined about it at the Obsidian forums.

Polish level is miles above the PoE1 beta, that's for sure. Looks good so far.

Aside from the combat stuff, I'm really liking what I see overall. It's gonna be fun a game, that's for sure.

Another thing I can think of that I'm not crazy about it is the dialogue interface. I didn't like it when we first saw it in whatever video it was either and I don't like it now either. I want the old "solid", no see-through interface back for that.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I was not expecting this so soon. I will hopefully get a chance to download and play the Beta over the weekend.

Are there any spells/talents, etc that non-beta folks want to see?

Doma

Augur
What the hell? Slow mode is gone?? I use that all the time! Maybe it can be modded in? :(

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I imagine this is exactly the sort of thing that might be addressed based on feedback

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I want my slow mode back. I don't know if I'm getting old but I got into an encounter with some laguafeth and shit just happened way too quickly for my taste in combat. Already whined about it at the Obsidian forums.

Aside from the combat stuff, I'm really liking what I see overall. It's gonna be fun a game, that's for sure.

Another thing I can think of that I'm not crazy about it is the dialogue interface. I didn't like it when we first saw it in whatever video it was either and I don't like it now either. I want the old "solid", no see-through interface back for that.

This is a bug right? I think there is a ''half speed'' mode, but it doesn't work

Starwars

Arcane

This is a bug right? I think there is a ''half speed'' mode, but it doesn't work

I'm not sure. The interface is there for it but I am unsure if it's just a "leftover" from PoE1. It does not work for me at any rate. I'm pretty sure they've mentioned there being only two combat speed in some stream/interview/whatever before. Can't remember where it was mentioned but I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned before.

But yes, hopefully it's something that will be added (or fixed obviously if it's just broken). If it's not, I doubt I will be able to play the game on anything above Normal.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think he said rest resources (food) are unlimited. He said they're pretty easy to find.

The thing is, even a very large, lenient limit is qualitatively different from having no limit at all. No limit means mashing the rest button after every encounter, period. But having say, 100 pieces of food, even if you know you probably won't run out if you rest after every battle - you still don't want to see that number tick down. It changes the way you play.
<Yawn>

He said he hasn't been in a situation where he is out of regular non-bonus-giving food. The guy who was playing at the time confirmed that, I think. This is near enough to "unlimited" in my book.

Anyway, we'll see when we get to play. From my experience with the "limited" resting in PoE, or rather, the unlimited resting, I really don't see much grounds to expect anything different.

Frusciante

Cipher
Short impressions:

- game looks good as expected
- world map is a great addition, much better sense of exploration. It feels a bit empty still though so I'm glad they're looking to add some more to it.
- there seems to be a better use of scripted interactions, these are also encountered on the world map
- there are a lot of skill/race/attribute checks in dialogue
- loading times are noticeably faster for me compared tom PoE1
- multiclassing is a lot of fun and makes character building much more interesting
- dialogue UI is nice, watercolor portraits add nice flavor
- combat is still chaotic and is currently way too fast (characters run at great speeds so any distance is closed within 1-2 seconds)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't forget that the P1 beta showed probably the best part of the whole game, outside of Raedric's, so I wouldn't judge the checks only from it.

Sentinel

Arcane
PoE1 beta was in Dyrford Village + Dyrford Crossing, I don't remember it having anything to do with Raedric.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Except for the revised inventory UI, which was an improvement, all the UI I've seen of Deadfire is in the "why are you showing this to people" category.

I have gathered the strength to complete watching the twitch stream. Apparently setting a trap which also lures enemies towards it, actually makes them all converge on the point where you set it, is a strategy now? Kind of like pre-buffing but instead pre-handicapping enemies with injuries/afflictions? And we were talking here about eliminating rote actions from gameplay? :lol: Apparently the guy playing on the stream is doing this before every combat. Wtf, man...

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
There are noticeably more checks (and a greater variety of them) in Deadfire than PoE1. I played about 60 - 70% of a playthrough a month ago and it was something that stuck out to me.

Frusciante

Cipher
There are noticeably more checks (and a greater variety of them) in Deadfire than PoE1. I played about 60 - 70% of a playthrough a month ago and it was something that stuck out to me.

Was slow mode removed on purpose or is it a bug?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom