Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Coding/Hacking Thread

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Somebody sent me a macos assembly, so here's the modded version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62420848/iemod-435-v3-macos.zip

So yeah, Sensuki posted a video, but tldr: Disable Engagement has been reworked and what was an experimental feature is now an actual fully functional mod. Fuck ugly thick circles are removed from the game entirely. Arrows will not be displayed if you tick disable engagement. Enemies now change targets correctly and the overall dynamics are the same as in vanilla.
Selection circles are now thinner by default, since devs made them even thicker. Console command SelCircWidth will allow you to change the thickness to your liking. (recommended values are between 0.01 and 0.05) The configured thickness will persist between plays, so you only have to do it once.

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
Amazing. So it may even improve an enemy AI in same instances:)

I'm not sure if understanding properly, didn't had time to try it yet. So please, feel free to correct me:

If the game tab menu option (party member don't stop on engan.) is not selected together with the mod's Remove Engagement, then both sides act as there is the same engagement mechanic as so far, will stop on engagement and stick to it by AI, but the disengagement attacks will not proceed (are moded out) on both sides.

Further on, if the options are selected together, we can now freely position and move our puppets without the AI interference. But in the same time, we can use the engagement against enemies, eg. as a small crowd control, where the fighter will excel the most.

-> That sounds to me as some sort of a close range aggro/stickiness mechanic. And one of the better ones I saw so far, to be honest.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So since a lot of people have been asking for a U-frame interface, here's a glimpse into the next update. It's already an in game screenshot. The buttons on the left will have to be replaced with wider ones like in BG.
This type of UI will be optional of course.

2015-02-22_00004.jpg

(just noticed... two characters have bright selection circles when only one is selected - it's a bug)

dukeofwhales

Cipher
So since a lot of people have been asking for a U-frame interface, here's a glimpse into the next update. It's already an in game screenshot. The buttons on the left will have to be replaced with wider ones like in BG.

How many hours did it take you?

:troll:

I kid, I kid - it looks great.

ushas

Savant
Well done :salute:

I take it's work in progress and programming et cetera, but with this kind of UI you are close to something I would prefer myself to use too.

Seeing the layout, it doesn't even look hard to fit all the possible resolutions...

Duraframe300

Arcane
He started like two days ago?

Two weeks .. yeah right.

Development Overhead

Nothing more, nothing less

Same reason freuquently modders put things out that devs say no to. There were actually similiar situations during NWN2 and F:NV (Know myself in the later case)

Honestly surprised this was even a debate / question.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

2015-02-22_00004.jpg

(just noticed... two characters have bright selection circles when only one is selected - it's a bug)
I want to make love with you Bester.
Just kidding you faggot!
No, this is great, i will play the game this way if you finish it.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
This is a good start, finally dem old school feels are in the UI as well.

Any chance that beef with Grotesque ends and something more closely resembling his work will get implemented?
:happytrollboy:

Rake

Arcane
Bester Any chance to try the log in the middle instead of the right corner? The middle is a better pace for it, plus it looks better aestheticaly to have the log breaking the rest of the bottom bar in two.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Bester Any chance to try the log in the middle instead of the right corner? The middle is a better pace for it, plus it looks better aestheticaly to have the log breaking the rest of the bottom bar in two.
I guess I didn't clarify this - this thing is part of that draggable UI mod, so for that screenie I just dragged things to those positions in game and saved the layout, but you can place things very differently yourself, like the portraits on the left side, the log anywhere you want, etc. Nothing is predetermined other than the U-frame (which can simply be turned on/off). The U-frame doesn't move, obviously, but everything else is up to you - you can toggle between horizontal/vertical party bar layout, drag it anywhere you like, then you can switch the buffs side for portraits, etc, etc.
All of this is already coded in. You'll see what I'm talking about when it's done.

What remains right now is 2 things
1) make 3 invisible colliders (1 for the left bar, 1 for the bottom bar, and 1 for the right bar) so they'd block mouse clicks and make sure they're resized properly for different resolutions.. this is gonna be the hardest part, cause I'm not familiar with ngui's colliders...
2) draw wider buttons for Inventory, Map, etc... this isn't even coding, that's just photoshop and googling skills... Anyone wants to contribute? I'd like the preserve the yellow icons, but the button art needs to be different.

By the way, I realize others might have different tastes than me, so I made a few different U-frames while experimenting with the background texture. They'll probably all be available to chose from in game.

BG2 Mosaic
Dry Wood
Dry Wood Brown
Generic Wood Brown
Wood Planks
Wood Planks Brown
Big Stones
Medium Stones
Polished Granite
Scratched Granite
Scratched Stone
Scratched Stone Blue

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
I guess I didn't clarify this - this thing is part of that draggable UI mod, so for that screenie I just dragged things to those positions in game and saved the layout, but you can place things very differently yourself, like the portraits on the left side, the log anywhere you want, etc. Nothing is predetermined other than the U-frame (which can simply be turned on/off). The U-frame doesn't move, obviously, but everything else is up to you - you can toggle between horizontal/vertical party bar layout, drag it anywhere you like, then you can switch the buffs side for portraits, etc, etc.
All of this is already coded in. You'll see what I'm talking about when it's done.

What remains right now is 2 things
1) make 3 invisible colliders (1 for the left bar, 1 for the bottom bar, and 1 for the right bar) so they'd block mouse clicks and make sure they're resized properly for different resolutions.. this is gonna be the hardest part, cause I'm not familiar with ngui's colliders...
2) draw wider buttons for Inventory, Map, etc... this isn't even coding, that's just photoshop and googling skills... Anyone wants to contribute? I'd like the preserve the yellow icons, but the button art needs to be different.

By the way, I realize others might have different tastes than me, so I made a few different U-frames while experimenting with the background texture. They'll probably all be available to chose from in game.

BG2 Mosaic
Dry Wood
Dry Wood Brown
Generic Wood Brown
Wood Planks
Wood Planks Brown
Big Stones
Medium Stones
Polished Granite
Scratched Granite
Scratched Stone
Scratched Stone Blue
I love you. Now the only think that remains is for an artist/photoshop mage to create an adra themed texture, or something like sculptured stone in the style of Greek Antiquity, and helping redesign the buttons. Some Codexer with the appropriate skills?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
U-frame looks sweet (especially with the blue stone background) and engagement removal mod is just brilliant.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Love the U-frame interface, definitely prefer that over the default one.
Really, because in its current form, it is pretty meh. The main purpose of the U frame is to add atmosphere to the game. In this form, it is just like the original, with a similar texture, and icons just in a U shape. Bester is doing a great job in implementing this UI, but it needs new textures and some new functions to be better than the original.

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
Love the U-frame interface, definitely prefer that over the default one.
Really, because in its current form, it is pretty meh. The main purpose of the U frame is to add atmosphere to the game. In this form, it is just like the original, with a similar texture, and icons just in a U shape. Bester is doing a great job in implementing this UI, but it needs new textures and some new functions to be better than the original.
I take it that Bester 's version is WIP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom