Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Coding/Hacking Thread

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Also if "running" could be scrapped and everyone just walks around, abstracted movement like the IE games.

So I tried making everyone walk in combat, and apart from other issues, it just creates a really really weird feel. I sent the .dll to Sensuki, he might make a vid to demonstrate it (or not).

Hormalakh

Magister
Here's a thought: make the mouse cursor change to a magnifying lens, staircase, etc. For the "texture" make them outline the object. So for example:

items, pictures, objects that are inspected: outline the object (maybe with the same blue that is used in interactive scripts, storage containers, etc when not clicked and then white after they have been interacted with once - just like the containers)
doors: same as interactive objects with an outline with the mouse cursor changing icons on mouse-over
Staircase: no outlines but perhaps use the "fallout" scheme where the ground is light red on tab and a mouse-over again changes the cursor.
Leaving areas: similar to "fallout" scheme with mouse-over changes to cursor.

It's really weird, I didn't mind the fallout color scheme on the ground, but I abhor the circular interactive button thing. Even though they're practically the same thing.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Uh, I think a post was just recently deleted from here? I'm confused. In any case, the answer is yes. It's multiplied by the value on the RHS wherever you see "damage.DamageAmount *=".

agris

Arcane
Patron
The problem with this is that the interaction is limited to the size of that door icon. Somebody asked if I could do this a few months back and I said I was ok with the idea, but you'd have to pixelhunt for the invisible icon and that'd be pretty dumb. Now that I think about it though, I guess I could blow up the size of the door's icon and then make it invisible, which would result in exactly what you're describing I suppose. I'll see about it after finishing the UI, which should be soon now.

It's a bit annoying that there's no travel cursor in PoE though.
It would be a massive improvement to PoE if you could blow up the icons on a per-case basis, such that their blown-up size reflects the size of the transition area (i.e. large hallway is larger blown-up icon, narrow passageway is smaller, etc) and then make them invisible and have the mouse cursor change upon passing over this invisible icon. The icon the cursor changes into could be the background-less cut-outs you've already made (stairs, magnifying glass, whatever). This would be the IE way, imo. If we abstract the icon as a 'transition zone', and if you had the ability to change the 'icons' shape to reflect the actual transition area.. well, now I'm just giving you work to do.

Can you guys add a day/night cycle to the list of what we want in the game? Or would that be too difficult or impossible?

hiver

I have to ask twice?

Can you, and or would it be possible to mod in my suggestion for engagement mechanic? I believe you have seen it on obs forums.

Also, is it even possible to mod the Ai in any way?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm not sure what you're talking about man (regarding the engagement stuff). I don't think either myself or Bester are interested in doing anything with Engagement other than removing it.

AI should be possible to mod, yes. How much effort it would require - not sure.

Rake

Arcane
First good idea about engangement (besides removing it completely) i have read so far, but i don't thing it will be feasible for a mod, at least without a huge amount of work.
If the idea is to be implemented, only Obsidian could do it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Bester have you tried that thing with making icons invisible and making cursor change icon on mouse-over instead?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Bester have you tried that thing with making icons invisible and making cursor change icon on mouse-over instead?
Somebody would have to draw different cursors for different actions. And it'd still be a pretty questionable mod with all the pixel hunting for stuff.

I'd much rather somebody simply drew better inspection/transition icons, cause they're the ones that cause problems for everyone because of their mobile game look.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Somebody would have to draw different cursors for different actions. And it'd still be a pretty questionable mod with all the pixel hunting for stuff.
No way to increase the "click zone"?

Yeah I dunno maybe this game is a lost cause.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh, yeah... In case you were using custom UI and have moved the party bar, your portraits will not be attached to the party solid background initially, so hit "Use Default UI", reload the game, and then move things around like you want, everything will be ok.

ushas

Savant
Thanks for all the hard work!
Will you have time to update it for linux/mac as well? (or is it possible to make multiplatform)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Send me a macos/linux assembly and I'll patch it for you.

Somebody with a little c# knowledge should really make it into a patcher with gui.

ushas

Savant
Linux version v435. Can't test it myself, somebody it a try: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62420848/iemod-435-linux.zip

Just had time for a quick test in BBv435. At first glance, everything tested so far look to work as intended: skipping intro movie, always selection circles, blue selection circles, a selective tooltip display, use of inventory except armors in combat, disable highlight except AoE, console commands...

Thanks Bester for the patch! :bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom