Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I've always wanted to say this, ever since Tristan 'tEEKK' Pope did in 2008.

NDAsoz

Tjaron

Educated
Polish? Unboxing Video:

The cover looks like an eye-catcher. Handbooks and map bring back memories of better gaming days.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
From Roby Atadero

Just FYI, some of the things that have been addressed since the press build.

- Flanking visuals don't flash on after figdets, and they don't show for a frame when revealing someone from fog of war.
- Enchanting UI has been revamped and is actually makes some sense when you use it as a player.
- Loot area slider.
- Autosave screen shots aren't black anymore.
- Fixes for Chanter VFX never being deleted.
- Character highlighting only displays when using an AOE in combat.
- much more other stuff...

Shevek

Arcane
Awesome, it already ran pretty well for me but it did stutter on occaision. The thing should run great now.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Judging by what I've seen from the world map, it looks like the progression through the world map is actually pretty linear.

I mean I haven't played it yet, but I think there'll be a *a little bit* of disappointment about that overall

More linear than BG2 ???

Project: Eternity

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Ehh... they already have a copy? And I still have this on my Products tab!

tlmmaVg.png

:x

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From Roby Atadero

Just FYI, some of the things that have been addressed since the press build.

- Flanking visuals don't flash on after figdets, and they don't show for a frame when revealing someone from fog of war.
- Enchanting UI has been revamped and is actually makes some sense when you use it as a player.
- Loot area slider.
- Autosave screen shots aren't black anymore.
- Fixes for Chanter VFX never being deleted.
- Character highlighting only displays when using an AOE in combat.
- much more other stuff...
0f3bd8b6a847c2e30c8e02367544eb769b49a2fc7dc966cd672943aff27425fb.jpg

Fry

Arcane
Retail box or backer copy?

Pretty cool they localized the map and everything.

leferd

Augur
Adam Brennecke, on 21 Mar 2015 - 2:29 PM, said:
This is the retail box (I've never seen it either, so it's new to me too!) which just contains a steam version of the game, and is locked, so they can't play yet. Backers are going to receive a different box and package.

hiver

Sensuiki: Let me tell you my story and why im so invested into PoE... I was born -

Hiver: Jesus fucking christ! close! close, cloooose!

bonescraper

Ok negroes, i need a decent rogue build balanced for combat and role-playing.

Shevek

Arcane
bonescraper: Get Weapon Focus Ruffian and Gunner then fight from range using pistols (against heavily armored enemies) and blunderbusses (against everything else). Make sure to keep mechanics and stealth skills up. Take crippling strike, deep wounds and dirty fighting. For stats, go with str, dex and int. For fun, you can also take backstab, and sneak up on guys and blow them to bits with the blunderbuss.

bonescraper

Omg, i should have mentioned i don't want a ranged build. Ok, best build for a melee class then (but no monks pls). PoE's mechanics are so convoluted, i don't feel like getting too deep into Sawyer's mad designs.

aeonsim

Augur
Ok negroes, i need a decent rogue build balanced for combat and role-playing.

For a Rogue maybe something like this, it's not min/maxed but with the in game buffs from resting and enchanting armour you should be decent for both combat and role playing.
Hearth Orlan, +10% Crits when attacking the same enemy as an ally (this will allow flanking as well for constant sneak attacks).
Might 14, Con 7, Dex 17, Per 15, Int 15, Res 10
This will give you a fast attacking with moderate damage Rogue who is perceptive and intelligent in dialog with quick reflexes. You could Switch the Per 15 to Res 15 if you prefer a character with a strong personality rather than perceptive. Intelligence I'd generally keep to increase the length of your abilities but another option might be to move those points to either Perception or Resolve.

With Per or Res 15 you also get +5 to deflection making you a bit harder to hit.
I'd then aim to enchant the armour with Perception, Intelligence and Dex bonuses to boost those stats to 16+ that should give you a pretty good range of dialog checks and further boost your defence, duration and attack speed. There are gloves that give Might +2 if you want more damage but with the sneak attacks giving 1.25x DMG and your increased chance of Criticals giving 1.5x DMG you may not need to bother.

You can further boost the attributes by choosing to sleep in the right inn rooms for example in the backer beta the inn offered 4 rooms one with no bonus, one +1 Might + 2Con, a +2 Dex or +2 Might +2 Con +2 Int. Those boosts with the enchantment bonuses and default stats should allow you to push your primary skills to over 18 fairly easily.

For Talents I'd suggest Ruffian Weapon Focus which gives a acc boost to Sabres (highish damage 1 handed weapon), Clubs (accurate crushing damage), Stilettos (Armour Piercing damage) and the Pistol (moderate damage short range gun) and then the Dual Wielding skill (+20% attack speed). Then choose what ever you like with regards to how you want to fight.

For Skills always put 2 points in Athletics to prevent getting tired after that I think there are three options that make the most sense:
The classic Stealth (sneaking) and Mechanics (Traps, hidden stuff)
Stealth and Lore (spell casting from scrolls)
Mechanics (Traps) and Lore (Scroll spells)
Effectively have one of the two as a major skill and the second as a minor.

Over all you should end up with a versatile character who is decent in combat, they attack very fast getting most of there damage from sneak attacks with their long debuffs and there team mates debuffs as well as a fair number of Critical hits. In Dialog/scripted events they'll have access to a wide range of options though they may not be the best at any one thing.

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
BTW Sensuki, will you be doing a LP of some kind when PoE is released? I would love you to hear your observations of the full game as you play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom