Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

polo

Magister
Buy windows?
:notsureifserious:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I can't believe you're still seriously discussing it. The only viable option here is to download win7 x64 from torrents, install it and get over yourself / forget all this nonsense about linux.

God, what wouldn't poor people come up with just to stay poor.
With limited hardware it is better to squeeze anything extra for the game and not for the OS, that is why people are saying Linux. I said SteamOS as that is already done and prepared for gaming. It might only have problems with drivers for that specific machine and will require research.

The fastest solution would be 64 bit win 7 from PirateBay.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
With limited hardware it is better to squeeze anything extra for the game and not for the OS, that is why people are saying Linux.
Are you referring to the possibility of PoE using DX on Windows and OpenGL on linux? Or are you refering to Linux' lower memory usage?
In both case I don't believe it'll make a difference, since the game seems to always stay at 1-1.5gb in memory and what's clogging the fps is poe's cpu usage. I'm not sure dx/opengl could change anything here? But then again I don't know if dx/ogl are very different cpu-intensity-wise. In any case, doesn't seem like a good reason to jump on linux and turn into a pimpled nerd.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are you referring to the possibility of PoE using DX on Windows and OpenGL on linux? Or are you refering to Linux' lower memory usage?
In both case I don't believe it'll make a difference, since the game seems to always stay at 1-1.5gb in memory and what's clogging the fps is poe's cpu usage. I'm not sure dx/opengl could change anything here? But then again I don't know if dx/ogl are very different cpu-intensity-wise. In any case, doesn't seem like a good reason to jump on linux and turn into a pimpled nerd.
I think he was referring to Valve's work to reduce API overhead in Linux. They were showing a 10% speed up in Source Engine with their improvements.

ArchAngel

Arcane
With limited hardware it is better to squeeze anything extra for the game and not for the OS, that is why people are saying Linux.
The difference will not be felt on a good computer, but one close to minimum might just get a few frames more on Steam OS.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The difference will not be felt on a good computer, but one close to minimum might just get a few frames more on Steam OS.
Through what mechanism?
And even if that was true, going over to the pimpled side for 2 fps, you're seriously giving this advice to people?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
By the way, 120 minuets with a running total for 135 minutes means that the average minuet in PoE is 67.5 seconds long. This would be considered extremely short if you were actually supposed to dance to it -- my best guess is that it's a comment on how fast paced the combat animations feel.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Judging by what I've seen from the world map, it looks like the progression through the world map is actually pretty linear.

I mean I haven't played it yet, but I think there'll be a *a little bit* of disappointment about that overall

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
By the way, 120 minuets with a running total for 135 minutes means that the average minuet in PoE is 67.5 seconds long. This would be considered extremely short if you were actually supposed to dance to it -- my best guess is that it's a comment on how fast paced the combat animations feel.
I think they're counting them the same way Bethseda counted endings of Fallout 3.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Justin Bell said:
Putting finishing touches on the soundtrack for #PillarsofEternity Uh... looks like I wrote about 120 minuets of music for it #timeflies

Correction... 135 minutes for the #PillarsofEternity soundtrack.
Too bad it's meh at best. Nowhere close to this:
I would say that you are wrong but nothing is more subjective than music. (Keep in mind that I also prefer the IE games music, but PoE is not meh. I think it is pretty good, based on what I heared in streams).

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I think they're counting them the same way Bethseda counted endings of Fallout 3.

Maybe he misspelled "minutes" in the first tweet.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but...
I stumbled upon the collection of portraits and after a glance I asked myself, why are there so few of them. I counted 31. Then I checked BG1's roaster, and it had 32. Yet PoE's lineup seemed much fewer. Then I realized why. They basicly use the same portraits several times, with some slight changes in colour.
10rpfuq.jpg

Sorry, but this is lazy. If you count the same ones as one, there are only 24 of them. Can we expect more in the final version?

Starwars

Arcane
I don't know how many there will be but there are more than those in the current beta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom