Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

Sizzle

Arcane
Carrie Patel's work wasn't particularly impressive. Aloth and Devil of Caroc were pretty oaky but still weren't on the level of Edér or Zahua (or Thaos).
She wrote the Council of Stars, and that is pretty much universally liked among fans of the game.
Congrats. 1 success out of 3 attempts.

She also wrote Sagani, Maneha and was in charge of editing (I think) Grieving Mother and possibly Durance as well.

Sentinel

Arcane
Carrie Patel's work wasn't particularly impressive. Aloth and Devil of Caroc were pretty oaky but still weren't on the level of Edér or Zahua (or Thaos).
She wrote the Council of Stars, and that is pretty much universally liked among fans of the game.

She also wrote Sagani, Maneha and was in charge of editing (I think) Grieving Mother and possibly Durance as well.
Both Sagani and Maneha were pure meh as well though, lol.
Like if both of those got killed off screen or even in-game, I wouldn't even care.

Sizzle

Arcane

Like if both of those got killed off screen or even in-game, I wouldn't even care.

Maneha was ruined by poor VA, but I quite liked Sagani, she had a distinct lack of any BioWareian butthurt, and behaved like an adult.

Sentinel

Arcane

Maneha was ruined by poor VA, but I quite liked Sagani, she had a distinct lack of any BioWareian butthurt, and behaved like an adult.
I don't know, that isn't quite enough for me. Acting like an adult doesn't quite do it if the rest of your personality is boring as fuck.
For some reason I connected with Edér, Zahua, Durance and Thaos and their plights, and I felt bad for all 4 of them. If any of them got axed (Thaos did, but he's the villain so he kinda had to, even though he can come back because DUDE SOULS LMAO) I'd feel legitimately sad.
I can't say the same for any of the other characters. I don't give a shit about Kana Rua finding his documents, or GM's 500-page trauma, or Sagani's ancestor, or other companions who are so forgettable that I don't even remember their names.

Last edited:

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Yeah based on that I'm tentatively led to think she's a bringer of incline. Has she written anything else for Obsidian? Her Linkedin just has PoE listed (and a past at EY; quite a career pivot).

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I know that Tyranny's Matt MacLean and Paul Kirsch will be working on this game.

As I hinted in an earlier post, I find myself not overly concerned with the quality of "writing" as such. Creativity and ideas as well as a proper sense of plotting and pacing - these are more interesting things to me now. I hope that Josh Sawyer will have more of a guiding hand in that area this time, now that he's freed from overseeing engine development and single-handedly doing system design - as he had in Fallout: New Vegas.
Wait, so Robert Land, the only one who did something resembling quality work on Tyranny, isn't going to do anything on PoE2?
Yeah, it's done for.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

Sagani was okay but she was kind of boring.

Matt Maclean is my last hope for narrative lead as one of the Obsidian old guard and writer of Hiravias. And maybe he learned some stuff as the lead on Tyranny.

Rev

Arcane
Durance was edited by Fenstermaker. Patel was also responsible for the Ondra's conversation in White March Part 2, iirc.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is there info on this game yet and is there a summary somewhere? 23 pages is a bit much.

It hasn't been properly announced yet, and the original post in this thread is the only official confirmation of its existence. Everything else is us interpreting various hints and teasers Josh Sawyer has been dropping since then.
Thanks. I didn't like the first game because of the combat but I am hoping this one will be better. I never liked BG1 either but loved BG2. I like lots of spells. Also they aren't just copying D&D rules so it was all new, hopefully they know what works and what doesn't now.

Sizzle

Arcane

I don't know, that isn't quite enough for me. Acting like an adult doesn't quite do it if the rest of your personality is boring as fuck.

No idea how much you've played with her, but what I meant when I called her an adult is that she possesses a nice healthy mix of occasional playfulness to her dialogue and actions, while still remaining responsible and focused on her quest (and isn't whining about it).

For some reason I connected with Edér, Zahua, Durance and Thaos and their plights, and I felt bad for all 4 of them. If any of them got axed (Thaos did, but he's the villain so he kinda had to, even though he can come back because DUDE SOULS LMAO) I'd feel legitimately sad.
I can't say the same for any of the other characters. I don't give a shit about Kana Rua finding his documents, or GM's 500-page trauma, or Sagani's ancestor, or other companions who are so forgettable that I don't even remember their names.

I think the game, for all its other faults, does the NPC side of things pretty well - almost everyone can find at least a couple of characters they like (Durance and Eder being the most popular here).

Ranarama

Learned
I *have* played this game, but can't for the life of me name a single character. There was a woman who dies in a fire, and a woman who was a house, and a dragon. That's it. Souls and some tribes. All I remember. Even when you guys are supplying the names.

You think they're taking lessons from Tyranny too? I can't imagine they'd change the combat to encompass the range of spells in BG, it would break with the setting. (such as it is and has been established.)

Sentinel

Arcane
I know that Tyranny's Matt MacLean and Paul Kirsch will be working on this game.
Wait, so Robert Land, the only one who did something resembling quality work on Tyranny, isn't going to do anything on PoE2?

:lol: You really are good at this jumping to conclusions stuff.
You're the one who didn't name him while saying you had inside info.
I assumed land was working on the tyranny dlc.

But keep shilling for Obsidian faggot.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My inside info is that those two people are working on PoE2 - it doesn't mean that other people aren't.

BTW, if people really think Robert Land did a great job on Tyranny, I recommend posting about it here and on the Obsidian forums whenever you can. At this stage, people could still be brought onto PoE2 even if it it wasn't Obsidian's original plan.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Why bother? I still don't think Land was on the level of fenstermaker or avellone.
PoE 2 is doomed.
It's gonna be the mass effect episode all over again. I can already see it.
Is there any rpg series that benefitted from changes in writing staff between direct sequels?

PS: Worth clarifying that I have no hope for it on the story/writing department. Sawyer's posts still give me hope for the gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:

jaydee2k

Savant
Why bother? I still don't think Land was on the level of fenstermaker or avellone.
PoE 2 is doomed.
It's gonna be the mass effect episode all over again. I can already see it.
Is there any rpg series that benefitted from changes in writing staff between direct sequels?

PS: Worth clarifying that I have no hope for it on the story/writing department. Sawyer's posts still give me hope for the gameplay mechanics.

Avellone had the last meaningfull influence on a game when, a decade ago!?
Hes too busy with trolling his former employer and not showering for months.
So fuck off and creep out of his ass.

Fever

Educated
I do think that Carrie Patel's companions were among the best ones in PoE1.
Sagani felt like a real person: a mother, sorrowful, caring, sometimes even boring (just like real people are), but never over the top or whiny. A masterful voice acting completed her personality. I'm just sad I won't get to play with her again in PoE2.
Aloth was my favorite companion along with Edèr, so I can't really be objective here.
Devil of Caroc is considered one of the most interesting companions by those who played the WM, so she doesn't need an apology. She and Zahua both were great additions to the vanilla roster.
Maneha is probably the only miss of Patel's work, but I've always seen her like a joke character, with a not-so-well investigated personality under the surface.

Avellone and especially Fenstermaker will be sorely missed, who could deny that? I hope Patel gets to write the new Edèr, because I feel she has the right mindset and talent to respect Fenstermaker's work, still keeping Edèr fresh and witty without derailing too much from its original personality.
For sure I will miss Avellone for Durance - a splendid, living character - but I can't say the same for the Grieving Mother, probably the most boring and disconnected companion of the game in my eyes. Also, the "advance with talking" type of quest was already spent with Durance. It's true that we can't judge characters that got their content cut, but still this is what we got.

If Carrie Patel gets more space in PoE2 I am more than happy, also considering the other parts of the game that are ascribed to her name: the council of stars, the WM2 events: all brilliant works of art.
I'd be worried only if Josh gets to write some other companions... as much as I like the guy, his Pallegina was quite terrible for me.

Sizzle

Arcane
I'm just sad I won't get to play with her again in PoE2.

AFAIK, only Eder, Aloth and Pallegina have been confirmed as PoE2 party members, but that doesn't mean Sagani won't be there as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sagani shouldn't be a party member because her long pilgrimage is finally over (let her rest!). She is from the Deadfire Archipelago though, so maybe there'll be a cameo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom