Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
the interface is not very gud

What's wrong with it?

So, are spellcasters in this game shit? I was planning on making a Wizard/Soul blade cipher when I start playing and was wondering if this is somewhat okay to play (even though this game is apparently easy as fuck and I guess it doesn't matter really)

Great, especially wizard multis have that Spellsword feel since all their buffs are instacast.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People are claiming PoE selling badly despite having fucking no idea about the actual sales. Just another typical day on the Codex.
PoE is at just over one million on Steam + GoG + Physical. I had been watching it periodically before Steamspy became less accurate.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Eh don't shit your pants yet. Torment was a "disaster". Tyranny did better and was merely a "disappointment". Before its first weekend this game already has more concurrent players than Tyranny ever had.

If it does somewhat worse than the first game then eh, so be it. Baldur's Gate 2 never got a sequel either, maybe it was meant to be.

Somewhat worse? The first game had like 40k 2nd day and this one barely stays afloat at under 20k, that's worse than somewhat worse, that's abysmal. Personally I blame the generic setting and how verbose was the first one, idiots thought that people wanted to read interactive novels instead of playing the damn game, look at what that did, they pushed away a large part of player base, even fans of the original IE games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE 3 wil have more colorful, flashy, 3D graphics with heavily streamlined character building and combat, inspired by DoS2 though still RTWP.
PoE 3 will be a Skyrim clone, headed by Tim Cain & Boyarski, and getting released just in time for Skyrim's 10th anniversary. Skyrim fans will buy it for the feels, it will make millions in sales, and Feargus will buy a new yacht.
If Tim and Leonard makes a 3rd person RPG in the world of Eora (ala Skyrim), I'm jizzing my pants all over the place.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What's wrong with it?

feels clunky, esp with the multiple right-click item inspection window pop-ups and with swapping stuff in and out of inventory slots

also ability effect descriptions aren't very legible, you gotta open like 39476 tooltips to find out wtf something with a stupid name does

i'm also not very sure what most of the numbers mean when i highlight an enemy so i just select all left click and get things done that way

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Heads up. I've installed the new Nvidia driver (397.64, released for PoEII specifically) and the game started crashing almost immediately. I rolled back to an older driver (390.65) and all is well again.
I wouldn't put any hopes about the "game ready" drivers improving performance. Deadfire is only mentioned once in the driver notes, and that's to inform us that the drivers provide "the optimal gaming experience" for it.

2house2fly

Magister
The game seems to not gather any attention at all, even after 2 days it barely scraped 18k players online and compared with D:OS 2 at the same time, which had almost 90k, this one is a complete fucking disaster.

Let's look at some other releases from the past couple of weeks.

Battletech- 35k players online day one, released on fucking Monday
Frostpunk-28k day one, monday release as well

Don't come at me with the ''wait for the weekend'' bullshit, as a promising sequel, this game is a fucking failure of epic proportions and let's remember that they even went over the budget with VO, I don't even want to think what PowerTrip™️ Feargus is going to do about this, but it ain't gonna be pretty seeing that fat little freak abusing his employers.
I can't believe they didn't see this coming. Tyranny underperformed and Torment sank like a stone, and Feargus's response was to dump MORE money into voice acting?!

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Meeting eotens with 16 AR while you're level 6 and wield Pen7-9 weapons/spells really outlines how fucked the monster tuning is, once again.

On the one hand, it confirms Pen/AR as very useful when it comes to make clear jumps in difficulty and installing a sense of progression (by opposition to the mere Acc. which was met by greater defenses anyway).
Bigger AR makes Overpen. more and more difficult, if not outright impossible (unless you combine every buff and debuff you have, that is), and I like this new system a lot.

On the other hand, although I would have never killed these eotens, they didn't fuck me up that badly... I mean a couple of crits on Edér made him go down to Near Death real quick, but proper defensive buffs allowed to mitigate their damage in a surprising manner.
In other words : like everything else, they're undertuned.

And to clarify things, complaining about the lack of challenge isn't just an autismo crisis. Whole aspects of the game design can only work if encounters who are supposed to be deadly, are actually fucking deadly.
Items like the shield which protects against fire and gazes (ie. against drakes and dragons) for instance : it has unique enchantment options which can make it a 100% protection against gazes, or add flat Fire AR etc... this is super cool, but if I ultimately can shrug anything off without giving it much thought, it goes to waste. Which is a shame, I really like itemization in this game.

ps : there are a lot of unique enchantments for unique items. You can even keep Xoti's sickle and lantern until end game - I assume - considering how good her enchantments are.

i'm also not very sure what most of the numbers mean when i highlight an enemy so i just select all left click and get things done that way
tfw you realise roxor is the target of the game

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PoE 3 wil have more colorful, flashy, 3D graphics with heavily streamlined character building and combat, inspired by DoS2 though still RTWP.
PoE 3 will be a Skyrim clone, headed by Tim Cain & Boyarski, and getting released just in time for Skyrim's 10th anniversary. Skyrim fans will buy it for the feels, it will make millions in sales, and Feargus will buy a new yacht.
If Tim and Leonard makes a 3rd person RPG in the world of Eora (ala Skyrim), I'm jizzing my pants all over the place.
For all the time since 2012, and especially since Chris Avellone's revelations, haven't you reached the conclusion yet, that a single developer's name on its own means nothing about the quality of a game?

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a bone to pick with the interface layout options. Both of the layouts where you have character portraits in the middle have the skill bar clipping into the combat log, meaning you can't use part of it if you don't want to have tiny two line combat log at the same time. Could easily be solved by moving the skill bar a bit to the other side of it.
So, are spellcasters in this game shit? I was planning on making a Wizard/Soul blade cipher when I start playing and was wondering if this is somewhat okay to play (even though this game is apparently easy as fuck and I guess it doesn't matter really)
Nah, they are good. Ending an entire encounter with a single cast of empowered fireball gives me a satisfying feeling I would not expect from a game designed by Joshua Eric Sawyer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh don't shit your pants yet. Torment was a "disaster". Tyranny did better and was merely a "disappointment". Before its first weekend this game already has more concurrent players than Tyranny ever had.

If it does somewhat worse than the first game then eh, so be it. Baldur's Gate 2 never got a sequel either, maybe it was meant to be.

Somewhat worse? The first game had like 40k 2nd day and this one barely stays afloat at under 20k, that's worse than somewhat worse, that's abysmal. Personally I blame the generic setting and how verbose was the first one, idiots thought that people wanted to read interactive novels instead of playing the damn game, look at what that did, they pushed away a large part of player base, even fans of the original IE games.

PoE1 had 30k until its first weekend. A ~33% drop is not a cataclysm, the game is making money. The Pillars of Eternity IP is Obsidian's baby, they'll keep investing in it and earn money on the long tail. I wouldn't worry too much.

tl;dr Wait for the weekend.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I have a bone to pick with the interface layout options. Both of the layouts where you have character portraits in the middle have the skill bar clipping into the combat log, meaning you can't use part of it if you don't want to have tiny two line combat log at the same time. Could easily be solved by moving the skill bar a bit to the other side of it.
Yeah, the whole "multiple layouts" feature was done in such a rush it's sad. It's still better than nothing though.

BTW, have they fixed the logic for the resizing of the combat log horizontally when it is in the center? Is it still clipping?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For all the time since 2012, and especially since Chris Avellone's revelations, haven't you reached the conclusion yet, that a single developer's name on its own means nothing about the quality of a game?
I know, but I'm still clinging to the hope that they can make something great together.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

PoE1 had 30k until its first weekend. A ~33% drop is not a cataclysm, the game is making money. Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian's baby, they'll keep investing in it and earn money on the long tail. I wouldn't worry too much.

tl;dr Wait for the weekend.

That's not true, PoE 1 had almost 40k in it's first days, I was checking the steam page from day one and it was always at 35-41k in it's first days, then it went down, not up, you can even check the steam chart which proves me right.

AwesomeButton

Patron
That's not true, PoE 1 had almost 40k in it's first days, I was checking the steam page from day one and it was always at 35-41k in it's first days, then it went down, not up, you can even check the steam chart which proves me right.

Stats are available here: https://steamdb.info/app/291650/ (Charts & Graphs, middle graph, Players every day)
Yeah, and according to this the game had sold at least 41 906 on steam in the first three days, i.e. what he says.

Eh, these estimations are pointless, when you have backers to account for.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Stats are available here: https://steamdb.info/app/291650/ (Charts & Graphs, middle graph, Players every day)

So yhea, the game was released on late 26 march and it's biggest spike was on late 28-29 march, that's why I said in it's first days. This game doesn't seem to spike at all, it barely went 1k up since day one, which is pretty bad, don't you think so?

AwesomeButton

Patron
Numbers of people playing are not telling you much about the post-release sales of a game that has been kickstarted by backers, and had people preordering it for a year or so.

Shadenuat

Arcane
for some bizarre reason it feels much more compelling than the first game so far
It's the Storm of Zehir effect. Everything is more d&d'ish and basic, but game is more open so you actually explore new places and it gives a better feeling of adventure. Heck, even dungeons are less retarded now. And the content is spread out in smaller pockets so you're not dying under boring quest chains.

I can't put my finger on it too yet.

Parabalus

Arcane

So yhea, the game was released on late 26 march and it's biggest spike was on late 28-29 march, that's why I said in it's first days. This game doesn't seem to spike at all, it barely went 1k up since day one, which is pretty bad, don't you think so?

Infinitron is right here, 28-29 March was a weekend in 2015. If Deadfire doesn't get similar numbers this weekend it's a flop.

Parabalus

Arcane
ok i've just gone through the engwithan digsite and actually i must say this is kinda funny

the mechanics are ridonk dumbed down

the only good thing i can say about the writing is that there's less of it

for some bizarre reason it feels much more compelling than the first game so far

It's not that Bizarre. First they reduced the stupid writing. And that the dumbed down mechanics means you invest less time in the insipid gameplay.

The mechanics themselves aren't dumbed down, they are more complex than PoE1.

Difficulty ≠ Mechanics.

Perkel

Arcane
Can you fire your ship crewmates ? I took at start few crewmates and i found better ones...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, and according to this the game had sold at least 41 906 on steam in the first three days, i.e. what he says.

Eh, these estimations are pointless, when you have backers to account for.

We're talking about an estimation of the game's success by looking at the peak number of concurrent players. The number of actual owners is likely to be several times that.

BTW looks like it's on track to surpass Day 1 concurrent players today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom