Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

But I guess the armor rating is telling, just noticed that my stealth guy had zero chance of hitting an enemy :)

Yes that could be considered a bit of a tell.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I started on my old rig new game... Old one(rig) is broken so here comes nothing....

• Dont atempt to play this on ancient old and outdated rigs it will make your life living hell game now is both GPU AND CPU INTENSIVE
  • Much more C&C and overall freedom in everything huge step over poe 1
  • Animations are beyond horrible especialy when fast mode out of combat
  • Combat animations are horrible and changes to combat speed slider are horrible too
  • Female narator is edgy pseudo-intelectual hipster whore with 0 talent
  • Eder can die on ship or not apperar at all if he died in POE 1
  • Fog of war still persist even if you explored everything npc and enemies poping in front of you (This must be fixed ASAP AND I KNOW THIS IS FEATURE BUT RETARDED ONE)
  • Game is beyond easy veteran + scaling diff. sheildbearer of st elcga tank with only 10 ACC Steamroll first island like nothing
  • New inventory is :decline::decline:
TBC....

Cross

Arcane
All 3 things you mention were already in Bg2, Sawyer just made everyone a rest spammer.
Why do you keep resorting to this false equivalency? While you could rest spam, the mechanics in the Infinity Engine games were designed around judicious resting. For example, Stoneskin in the IE games lasts for 12 in-game hours, whereas in PoE buffs last for mere seconds.

Mind you, this doesn't excuse poor game design (allowing unlimited resting almost anywhere), but it makes a huge difference in how the IE games can be played compared to PoE.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I’m liking it so far but Darth Roxor is 100% right that the spell/ability descriptions remain totally ridiculous. With every damn buff or debuff you need to click through multiple screens to learn what it does. Why tell me that an ability gives the Fit inspiration when you can just say +5 constitution? What is gained my hiding that in an extra pop up?

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Last edited:

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Yeah the buff descriptions are a maze. I think they figured most casuals don’t want to work with numbers or specifics anyway. Then you have Attribute Resistances, but you don’t know what debuffs those resistances defend against until you open another window. At least it’s all there.

Mazisky

Magister
I started on my old rig new game... Old one(rig) is broken so here comes nothing....
  • Fog of war still persist even if you explored everything npc and enemies poping in front of you (This must be fixed ASAP AND I KNOW THIS IS FEATURE BUT RETARDED ONE)
TBC....

Yep, it is annoyng but i am afraid they did it for performance issues :-\

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
TBC....

Yep, it is annoyng but i am afraid they did it for performance issues :-\
And the biggest issue is i knew all enemies defences after only 1 fight this also needs tto be fixed ASAP.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is gained my hiding that in an extra pop up?

immershun

Also, it's part of the counter system. Fit counters Weakened IIRC (and vice versa).

Sure, but it’s insane not to define your terms in the same pop up box. Grants the Fit inspiration: +5 CON. Not hard!

I just blew up the piano in pirate town—awesome.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I realize this is a sequel, but I cannot help but think that PoE1 was very bare, from the CYOA panels, skill/background/class checks for dialogue, itemization, crafting, and to NPCs you can hire for your ship/stronghold. Every few steps there seems to be some interaction in PoE2, whereas in PoE1 you could go long lengths of time before seeing anything meaningful. I realize the quality can drop off in PoE2, but at least I see that an effort was made to improve.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
good thing the god of balance still enforces the "combat only" on abilities. wouldn't want anyone to have any kind of fun by actually preparing an ambush in the non sawyer-sanctioned manner. setting down a moonwell before combat begins in earnest? DAS SEIN NEIN BALANCIERT!

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

While I feel that they chose the wrong person for the role as narrator (They should have gone with someone sounding 20 years older and like an actual storyteller as opposed to a young woman) Ashley Johnson is a fairly well renowned VA and television actor. For example, she played Ellie in the Last of Us and has stars as a regular in the NBC show Blindspot.

Not really someone with no talent..

Rev

Arcane
Ok, I didn't read every page here because there's too many of them. I'll just post my first impressions of the game, having playing just for 6 hours so far and still being on the first island, exploring a bit and trying to see as much content as I can.

So far the game seems promising, I like the setting, Eder is a bro as always while I can't say much about Xoti because I recruited her not long ago and I don't know her enough to say anything yet. There are many stat checks in the dialogues, which is a good thing, and reactivity seem to be improved upon base PoE (but again, it's way too early to say for sure), I also like that there is a reputation system, both with companions and with major factions, hopefully it will be as good as it was in New Vegas, since that's the main inspiration.
Writing seems decent/good, nothing so far has really stuck with me or made me think about it that much, but I'm just at the beginning so it's kinda normal. I don't expect it to be exceptional like some past Obsidian games (MotB above all), but we'll see.

On the downside, combat seems to be way easier and simplified compared to PoE and TWM. I'm playing in Veteran and so far I didn't have to use any particular magic or ability to win a fight, and enemies just went down in a matter of seconds. Not, to be fair, the enemies I fought so far were meant to be easy and there will probably be better encounters in the future, but even PoE's beginning was way more challenging (at least there was the bear and Eothas' temple, which were tough if you went there straight away).
I was also skeptic about the changes in health/stamina bar and so far I haven't changed my mind.
On the plus side, trash mobs appear to be far less frequent than they were in the first game, so far I spent little time in combat and most of the fights seem to be avoidable if you have some diplomatic skills or with stealth.

Nothing to say about the story so far, except that the premise is at least interesting. Hopefully they'll do something good with it.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm getting pretty annoying that I'm losing -15 morale for working with an injury every few seconds despite the fact that I have no injuries on my characters or on my crew. Fuck...

I'm having issues with this too. My crew doesn't seem to heal, even though I have a surgeon and medical supplies, which makes the morale penalties pretty annoying. I have to keep sinking ships and sharing the loot with the crew to keep them from mutineering. :/

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I do find it quite funny, that obsidian chose to make the watcher into basically a pirate.
They are not the first.
IJCzxj4.jpg

But it has at least some explanation: "With that eyepatch you look like a pirate, lets send you on mission between pirates."

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Ok, I didn't read every page here because there's too many of them. I'll just post my first impressions of the game, having playing just for 6 hours so far and still being on the first island, exploring a bit and trying to see as much content as I can.

So far the game seems promising, I like the setting, Eder is a bro as always while I can't say much about Xoti because I recruited her not long ago and I don't know her enough to say anything yet. There are many stat checks in the dialogues, which is a good thing, and reactivity seem to be improved upon base PoE (but again, it's way too early to say for sure), I also like that there is a reputation system, both with companions and with major factions, hopefully it will be as good as it was in New Vegas, since that's the main inspiration.
Writing seems decent/good, nothing so far has really stuck with me or made me think about it that much, but I'm just at the beginning so it's kinda normal. I don't expect it to be exceptional like some past Obsidian games (MotB above all), but we'll see.

On the downside, combat seems to be way easier and simplified compared to PoE and TWM. I'm playing in Veteran and so far I didn't have to use any particular magic or ability to win a fight, and enemies just went down in a matter of seconds. Not, to be fair, the enemies I fought so far were meant to be easy and there will probably be better encounters in the future, but even PoE's beginning was way more challenging (at least there was the bear and Eothas' temple, which were tough if you went there straight away).
I was also skeptic about the changes in health/stamina bar and so far I haven't changed my mind.
On the plus side, trash mobs appear to be far less frequent than they were in the first game, so far I spent little time in combat and most of the fights seem to be avoidable if you have some diplomatic skills or with stealth.

Nothing to say about the story so far, except that the premise is at least interesting. Hopefully they'll do something good with it.

The difficulty picks up quite a bit after you leave the initial island although it is still pretty lenient outside of a few optional encounters.
Also, turn on level scaling (only upscaling). The critical path is already piss easy as it is and overleveling by simply doing a few side quests will not make for an enjoyable experience.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The armor system is weird.
Well there are 2 things about armor

The one thing is I believe you might want to wear just enough to not get overpenned, although calculating it is hard because enemies wear different quality weapons and it might do something with the difficulty. I so far wear only light armor and use buffs. But overall the system is far from intuitive compared to basic DR. I think to tune your armor correctly you need some meta knowledge. And it does seem that you want high quality weapons and armor soon and as much accuracy & pen as possible.

Another thing is AI seems to target particular characters at all times, and it might do something with the armor. It is especially annoying with sawyer rogues who just teleport around the screen in invis and then if they a bit higher level instagib your char overpenning him for hundred damage. Since game doesn't have divination spells the most reliable thing for rogues randomly running around your group effortlessly, never getting AOOed and just overall doing retarded thing is having a druid in back row with call lightning active at all times so you could stun fucker and focus him down, before resuming your tank&spank.

Looking at that sort of damage even in beginning of the game though... one might believe that armor is still good just for additional and exotic special effects it might carry, not defense.

Last edited:

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

While I feel that they chose the wrong person for the role as narrator (They should have gone with someone sounding 20 years older and like an actual storyteller as opposed to a young woman) Ashley Johnson is a fairly well renowned VA and television actor. For example, she played Ellie in the Last of Us and has stars as a regular in the NBC show Blindspot.

Not really someone with no talent..

Then why end result is so retarded?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Another thing is AI seems to target particular characters at all times, and it might do something with the armor. It is especially annoying with sawyer rogues who just teleport around the screen in invis and then if they a bit higher level instagib your char overpenning him for hundred damage. Since game doesn't have divination spells the most reliable thing for rogues randomly running around your group effortlessly, never getting AoEed and just overall doing retarded thing is having a druid in back row with call lightning active at all times so you could stun fucker and focus him down, before resuming your tank&spank.
Remember they claim the AI has been redone from the bottom up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom