Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is huge difference! Who would you ratter be,a peasant using a shiny sword that is useful as branch killing some generic enemy for 5 minutes or a shiny knight with powerful weapons fighting a hard battle?

The relative values between your stats and the enemies' stats are the same either way, so this is irrelevant. Doing 10 damage against 20 HP and doing 5 damage against 10 HP is the same thing. How exactly do you feel like a shiny knight with powerful weapons?
They are reducing the side buffs given from items,which are irrelevant if you build your character right. They don't affect the weapon damage that much,you can finish the game on hard story without changing much of the gear,just put the most damage dealing weapon with ok buffs and not debuffs and upgrade it to legendary. Items buffs are side sparkle at best,nurfing them just makes them more generic.

Writing that pushes inclusiveness, diversity, Bioware style gay romances etc...

Sure, I get the gist of it, but not the specifics. How does one push inclusiveness and diversity? What is the difference between acceptable gay romances and Bioware style ones?
Don't be an ass mate.

Saxon1974,there is a lot of SJW shit in this game,but it is not that annoying and forced....it is kind of believable in the setting. Still you get the option to kill everyone if you don't like them,i whipped every living creature in the game at the end(not ending decision).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's a lot more work to buff enemies across the board. Nerfing abilities nerfs them for both enemies and players, in the majority of cases. Or at least that's how it should be done, or you will end up with a mess where you can't remember which version of the same ability you nerfed and which not.
That is why they should have done their job and balanced the game before they released it as early access. And yes,it will be a royal mess for the next few patches..... maybe for an year,until all the dlc is out.

Tigranes

Arcane
The beta already seems to adjust POTD encounters, though none of the shitposters would know since they're whining without playing

One thing for sure, all this should have been done before release, and they fucked up. But it's pretty stupid to sit there and whine about nerf nerf when they're adjusting a lot of broken items & strengthening enemies at the same time

Shadenuat

Arcane
Starting cave and prologue were already well balanced on PoTD. What's important is content after level 10.

Quillon

Arcane
One thing for sure, all this should have been done before release, and they fucked up.

Yeah and PoE 3.0 shoulda been PoE 1.0 but reality ain't that.

Also this particular "fuck up" should have no effect on apparently poor sales.

Ulfhednar

Savant
The beta already seems to adjust POTD encounters, though none of the shitposters would know since they're whining without playing

One thing for sure, all this should have been done before release, and they fucked up. But it's pretty stupid to sit there and whine about nerf nerf when they're adjusting a lot of broken items & strengthening enemies at the same time
Changing more than one thing at a time means that you can't interpret the results.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

People are whining no because of nerfs in general,they are whining about how poorly they are implemented. Just splashing 50% nurf to most useful unique items is retarded!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don’t understand all of this bitching. I’d rather have them overcorrect to make it more punishing in as many ways as possible. I don’t really care how they go about it so long as veteran and POTD become a lot harder. I may try the new build with the beta patch once my better half passes out tonight.

Ideally, I guess I’d like lots of cool overpowered items, but it’s so much more important that they make the game, you know, difficult on higher difficulty settings. Nerfing unique gear by 50% is a small price to play for a game that doesn’t play itself once you pass level 8 or 9. We can piss and moan about how all of this should’ve been done before the launch; that doesn’t make it any less necessary now.

Tigranes

Arcane

People are whining no because of nerfs in general,they are whining about how poorly they are implemented. Just splashing 50% nurf to most useful unique items is retarded!

That would be more valid, yes - the question is what is the actual full range of changes, because at beta stage it's not exhaustively documented. And within the original reddit list, e.g. changes to one item I used a lot, the Wahai Poroga, seems pretty reasonable and thought out:

Wahai Poroga changed. At Blade's Reach now sshows -20% Melee Damage upon launching an attack, from the -100% previously shown. Dug-In enchant is now +2% Action Speed when hit in Melee, stacks 10 times, removed on Movement. Changed from -100% Recovery upon being hit.

Similarly, the Caroc breastplate was far too good, and we see a mix of 'cut the bonuses' nerfs and 'change how it works' nerfs. Both are necessary because the bonuses should never have been that high in the first place. The act of removing a bonus isn't in and of itself a problem, is it?

Devil of Caroc's Breastplate Articulated down to -10%, from -20%. Mechanical Mind now only applies to Intellect Afflictions (assumed that similar change was done to physical version of the enchant). Devil's Due down to +2 Health, from +4.

I do see some items where it seems like they didn't really need to randomly cut shit in half, but I think it's a bit nonsense to cry that items suck and don't matter now. Caroc, for example, got strong nerfs but is still going to be very useful for certain characters.

Parabalus

Arcane

Changing more than one thing at a time means that you can't interpret the results.

They can't do that either way, they don't really have statistics to work with. What exactly does the telemetry give them? Even if substantial the amount of opted-in beta testers is likely abysmal.

I don’t understand all of this bitching. I’d rather have them overcorrect to make it more punishing in as many ways as possible. I don’t really care how they go about it so long as veteran and POTD become a lot harder. I may try the new build with the beta patch once my better half passes out tonight.

Ideally, I guess I’d like lots of cool overpowered items, but it’s so much more important that they make the game, you know, difficult on higher difficulty settings. Nerfing unique gear by 50% is a small price to play for a game that doesn’t play itself once you pass level 8 or 9. We can piss and moan about how all of this should’ve been done before the launch; that doesn’t make it any less necessary now.

Nobody likes having their toys taken away.

Not much choice but to go through with it, makes JES failing to do it pre-release all the more souring.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That would be more valid, yes - the question is what is the actual full range of changes, because at beta stage it's not exhaustively documented. And within the original reddit list, e.g. changes to one item I used a lot, the Wahai Poroga, seems pretty reasonable and thought out:

Wahai Poroga changed. At Blade's Reach now sshows -20% Melee Damage upon launching an attack, from the -100% previously shown. Dug-In enchant is now +2% Action Speed when hit in Melee, stacks 10 times, removed on Movement. Changed from -100% Recovery upon being hit.

Similarly, the Caroc breastplate was far too good, and we see a mix of 'cut the bonuses' nerfs and 'change how it works' nerfs. Both are necessary because the bonuses should never have been that high in the first place. The act of removing a bonus isn't in and of itself a problem, is it?

Devil of Caroc's Breastplate Articulated down to -10%, from -20%. Mechanical Mind now only applies to Intellect Afflictions (assumed that similar change was done to physical version of the enchant). Devil's Due down to +2 Health, from +4.

I do see some items where it seems like they didn't really need to randomly cut shit in half, but I think it's a bit nonsense to cry that items suck and don't matter now. Caroc, for example, got strong nerfs but is still going to be very useful for certain characters.
Didn't use this items,the first one was useless because people constantly move,thus negating its bonuses . You could finish the game with only generic enchanted equipment. This patch didn't changed the difficulty in any way.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
You know what should be nerfed - the pets. The starting seagull pet gives everyone +1 Perception just like that. It's like getting five items which each give +1 perception and equipping one on each party member, only with the bonus that all party members' slots remain free. You get +1 perception to everybody out of thin air.
If pets should be nerfed to applying their buffs only on one character, then every character (I talking about companions) should have their pet slots unlocked for their personal pet. I wonder why the fuck there so much pets if companions have their slots fucking locked. This should be applied to mercs and sidekicks, I just didn't played with merc, so I don't know unlocked slots for pets or not.

Tigranes

Arcane
Pets are just another example of tacking on little bonuses for every fucking thing from the brand of toilet paper you use to your tampon colour until oh look suddenly your game is way too easy

Another curse of modern gaming

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have no idea why they decided to give pets bonuses. Concelhaut's skull was a pretty late-game item, so I think it justified itself having a special on-use ability (not that you needed to use it ever and could lose it to Llengrath), but every pet having one? It kinda turns them into yet another equipment slot.

Lhynn

Arcane
Pets bonuses are retarded.
They should just have a gameplay changing bonus, even if small. Instead of atribute bonuses that make no sense.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Perhaps I would be in minority, but pets and their bonuses are completely optional and doesn't make game anyhow easier. It's not armor or weapons, you can still play without them, besides just imagine what happens if backer's pets would be removed, Obsidian can't afford this.

Shadenuat

Arcane
5percent.jpg

5percent2.jpg

amazing

5%

:prosper:

5% the game
5% everywhere

:deathclaw:

but the new pictures for grimoires are pretty!

is like everywhere now. 5%5%5%5% on crit 2 seconds 5%% on crit +15% damage 5%%%%%%%:shitposting:
I think this is how it looks when you use sharp metal pincers to cut and remove the soul of an object

no changes to any consumables though, so now a lobster is better than your whole equipment stacked together.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are these MMO style % on hit to cause something really necessary? I know the IE games have something similar, but still. Couldn't it have been something more controlled, like every 10th hit or every 5th or something?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Are these MMO style % on hit to cause something really necessary? I know the IE games have something similar, but still. Couldn't it have been something more controlled, like every 10th hit or every 5th or something?

High impact low chance procs on items makes encounters a lot more varied and tests your adaptability. They should add them to some enemies too.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
On-hit items existed in POE as well. I don't have an issue with them showing up in the sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom