Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Seems like quite a comprehensive balance patch, actually. They're supposedly reworking encounters, improving encounter design, beefing up PoTD bonuses, all while swinging the nerfbat at items and classes.

Glad they took this approach because at least it means they are taking the problem seriously, so hopefully we won't have to wait for 3.0 this time.

Prime Junta

I can't understand why nerf gear and weapons at all, I just...fuck it I hope this is a beta patch on steam, maybe the will change their mind.

And I can't understand munchkins who are butthurt when OP stuff gets nerfed. I guess that makes us even.

-- Took a quick spin on the beta. It's buggy, fighter and rogue per-encounter abilities can be used unlimited times for example, but the balance patch is definitely there. Playing on Veteran and some early encounters can now no longer be won by auto-attacking or even spamming your strongest per-enc, you actually have to play the game. :incline:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
And I can't understand munchkins who are butthurt when OP stuff gets nerfed. I guess that makes us even.

-- Took a quick spin on the beta. It's buggy, fighter and rogue per-encounter abilities can be used unlimited times for example, but the balance patch is definitely there. Playing on Veteran and some early encounters can now no longer be won by auto-attacking or even spamming your strongest per-enc, you actually have to play the game. :incline:
Since than my complains about nerfing gear making me a munchkin? You wake up today from wrong leg or something?

Parabalus

Arcane
I can't understand why nerf gear and weapons at all, I just...fuck it I hope this is a beta patch on steam, maybe the will change their mind.

Dude they halved the values on like 30 items.

That's not a "nerf OP out of line stuff", that's "fuck we didn't even think this everything stacks now stuff through, did we?".

Prime Junta

That's not a "nerf OP out of line stuff", that's "fuck we didn't even think this everything stacks now stuff through, did we?".

That would make those many +2s rather OP in my book. Difference between +1 and +2 isn't much but +4 and +8 is ... dramatic.

And yeah LOL that they apparently forgot about stacking.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I mean it's funny, guy making assumptions about my play style, claim that I am munchkin in bad sense of this word, while I never picked godlike or orlan race in first game even after real power gamers started suggest these races for all builds. Hell I had fun by playing dwarf mage in arcanum, even if he objectively weaker that other combinations. This is insanity.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Item change won't change much of the difficulty,i rarely did change any gears on my people during the game. Making them even more useless won't encourage people to care about what is equipped. Pretty useless update.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So you assuming that I don't care about roleplay in ALL games and max out my builds for sake of gaining more power? And all these assumptions you make on fact that I didn't liked nerf of gear in single player game? Ok, you didn't wake up from wrong leg, you got hit by brick in head today.

Look, I normally don't like nerfs as well, certainly not this early after launch when the focus should be on encounters.

But Deadfire's difficulty is so dramaticly away from where it should be, just improving the encounters won't do. We're talking about early mid-game party effortlessly slamming all the hardest fights on the hardest difficulty level. They simply must roll out massive nerfs, otherwise all of this is for nothing. The game will just become trivial on levels 12-13 instead of 9-10.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, I am not sure after all the balances are done but when I played it, I didn't need to bother changing or enhancing my equipped items aside from PC's weapons.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Look, I normally don't like nerfs as well, certainly not this early after launch when the focus should be on encounters.

But Deadfire's difficulty is so dramaticly away from where it should be, just improving the encounters won't do. We're talking about early mid-game party effortlessly slamming all the hardest fights on the hardest difficulty level. They simply must roll out massive nerfs, otherwise all of this is for nothing. The game will just become trivial on levels 12-13 instead of 9-10.
Okay, I get your point. Maybe game really need gear balancing, BUT maybe it should be done by making it hard to get instead of nerfing stats. I mean legendary items supposed to be unique treasure which hard to get, but they should reward player, not disappoint. Items should be worth to fight an encounter, not to be just "another one +1 shit among other +1 shit". If now in-game items "asking" for nerf, then nerf them introduce new rank quality, which called "unique items" and guarded as heavy as possible.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
> poe stats dont matter
> +1 con down from +2 is a huge nerf

pick one
2bhbkw.jpg

I choose different stat system. Since in my opinion stats system where accuracy is most important stat to more than 50% persent of builds encourage power gaming too much.

frajaq

Erudite
so far in the starting island PotD = More mobs in previous spawn locations

it actually works since it's forcing me to use consumables/traps and care more about position

for example, in the center of the digsite where you get Aloth the panthers are no longer alone, there's a couple of wurms, a boar and a fucking drake. With only Eder/Xoti it's pretty much impossible to have a "fair fight", you HAVE to bottleneck them somewhere to even stand a chance

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If the highest difficulty level doesn't encourage powergaming, that means it's too easy. That's literally the whole point of having PoTD.

frajaq

Erudite
I'm not complaining, sorry if I gave that impression

The only thing I'm considering if it's worth it to go with the usual companions or just make my own custom adventurers

Parabalus

Arcane
People get upset when they feel like their power is taken away, even when the result might be functionally same.

Yeah, which is why this approach is especially hated in a single player game. In something competitive online, you have to nerf, but here JES could have buffed all enemies instead of nerfing players - it's not even about OP outliers, since he systematically nerfed items.

The fact he had to do that shows how little thought went into the system.

jungl

Augur
always felt like it pointless balancing when there so many op options available, the few powergamers that replay this game on potd that care will graviate towards whatever is left. The remaining 90 percent of the play base impression will be like wow all these items are boring hmmm. The op stuff was amusing like conjuration wizard with all the right gear and stuff could almost hit 100 raw damage per tick with empowered malignant cloud. No difficulty level can counter that shit lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom