Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't see anything wrong with Big Mouth. Haven't you guys ever seen a Mexican?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They have removed the command selection voice frequency sliders. This was actually something that was present in PoE. Why, God, why?!

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there an option to manually level up newly recruited companions like in PoE 1? I can't find it and I find it weird if they removed it

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I sorry for asking maybe primitive question, but there any good or at least decent build (or atleast class/multiclass) for character who will be using pistol and sabre as combo (and preferable human) ? I just trying to make a pirate character.

Prime Junta

/me plays a little further

Huh. I don't know exactly what I expected, but I did not expect an improved SoZ. :thumbsup:

Mazisky

Magister
Performance is too inconsistent for me.

World map navigation is a pain with huge stuttering all around.

Big areas like fort dreadlight have fps drops just like the white march. I guess i'll wait some patches.

Polanski

Scholar
I have no voice-over for any characters, neither in or out of dialogue. Has this bug happened to anyone else?
What about when you put headphones?.
Nope, nothing
I tried setting my speakers to "Stereo" from Right clicking the audio indicator > Playback devices > Right click on the speakers > Configure Speakers. Now I hear selection/command sounds through the only two speakers that Windows utilizes.

I don't know what your problem might be, I guess just open a thread in the Obsidian Support forum for Deadfire.
I tried that first, but still no voice no matter which device I use. Thanks for the advice though :)

I created a bug thread on their forum.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With the amount of stuff you find and carry, this is how I visualize my dwarf dragging all that around in Deadfire Archipelago:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
They have removed the command selection voice frequency sliders. This was actually something that was present in PoE. Why, God, why?!
Lethal_Weapon_Suicide.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
How is:

• At-a-glance visual clarity of battles. The animation system, speed, and VFX of PoE 1 often made fights feel like a muddy mess compared to the IE games
  • Set piece combat. How are the 'big' set piece battles in PoE 2? Is there much of a lock and key aspect to skill usage reminiscent of SCS mage duels, or is it more of a MMO-style DPS race?
  • Itemization, as compared to BG2. Are there weapons that inhabit the same class (sword, axe, etc) but offer distinctly different ways to play your character (per granted effects, for example) or shine situationally (double damage to undead, etc) in a meaningful way? Is there an abundance of flaming / epic weapons and gear, such that nothing stands out because it's all so epic? Is the presentation of item stats more AD&D-ish, or do players find color coded items of +5%?
  • Pacing. Is the story broken up into Acts, and do those Acts present geographic restrictions? Such as Chapter 2 to 3 3 to 4 in BG2.
?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm wondering whether the fact that the combat in this game is too easy is really a drawback.

PoE 1 combat was mediocre and not really challenging even on PotD. The only thing I can say for certain is that it took too long. From my experience playing on PotD, if I just selected all of my party members and clicked on the enemies once hoping my party would sort this shit out themselves, I'd get anally devastated by even a tiny pack of wildlife (I remember how a boar ran up to Aloth and critically hit him for more damage than this max HP). But if I actually paused the game and started micromanaging shit, there was no way I could lose.

What that meant is that in every battle I did pretty much the same things

I do pretty much same things in every combat still, due to few abilities avaible. Combat ends with my party at 0 power and enemies dead in ~21.8 seconds

We had 3 main experiences when it comes to choosing abilities and tactics and combat

a) You LARP that you can't rest-scum, but you will still rest when you want so you have all abilities available to you. But due to high difficulty and lethality of everything, unique and sometimes broken (in modern audience opinion anyway) creature and magic mechanics, you would still change you tactics at least some times. You would rotate some basic shit and select>left click often, but in other fights you'd get destroyed instantly and begin thinking.

Observation: while IE spellcaster had (literally) hundred spells to choose from and there were bad ones, he had them eventually all and at all times available. Which means eventually, new player would filter ones useful to him from useless ones. In PoE2, once you pick a single spell, you're stuck with it unless you respec. Which means that it's easier to make mistakes in character building in PoE2 by a lot compared to IE or PoE 1.

b) Rests in particular locations. And sometimes rest is unavailable. You must kill everything as effective as possible and keep biggest nukes for what-ifs'. This is the closest to simulation of going into long D&D adventure. Happened in orc fort in Knights of the Chalice for example. Somewhat difficult to build world around it, since it's almost mission-based. You can meet this all the time in arcade games or recent DS series, but for some reason RPG audience is terrified of this. Because casuals.

Naturally, this type makes you manage resources and evaluate enemy all the time.

c) Dragon Age and now PoE2. You restore everything after combat. Everything is available at all times which means more tacticool options, right? Well...

...I actually now repeat same thing I did in PoE 1. Due to low amount of spells I basically bombard enemy with EVERY skill until my Power resources are at 0. Aloth begins with Web & spams chill fog, priestess casts ALL buffs, druid casts ALL debuffs. Then enemy is stuck, paralyzed, debuffed and quickly dies.

Since you get less skills, you filter junk out and take the most basic ones and rotate those.

Extra.

Question.

Can you change what is in your grimoire? Because I spent half an hour leveling up Aloth because I didn't want to take something which would match what he has in his grimoire. Is this intended? Does player wizard begin with grimoire? If he doesn't, how the fuck do I know what to pick? Do I respec during whole game multiple times to carefully match my spell selection to grimoires I find? If yes,

who the fuck thought it was a great idea, and why do they hate wizards so much?

Last edited:

Ulfhednar

Savant
There is an option- not in game to look through the menus ATM. Also, you can respec your talent picks for any character at an inn.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Extra.

Question.

Can you change what is in your grimoire? Because I spent half an hour leveling up Aloth because I didn't want to take something which would match what he has in his grimoire. Is this intended? Does player wizard begin with grimoire? If he doesn't, how the fuck do I know what to pick? Do I respec during whole game multiple times to carefully match my spell selection to grimoires I find? If yes,

who the fuck thought it was a great idea, and why do they hate wizards so much?

No, you find and use other grimoires.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was easy to rip sounds form other games and make voice sets even though you couldn't post them on nexus because of copyright, but now that they are compressing the sound files, I don't know if we'll ever get custom voice sets :negative:

All because of the fucking full VO...

Why could they not be posted on nexus because of copyright? They aren't being sold.. there are tons of copyrighted things on the Steam Workshop (Valve doesn't care) for instance I played XCOM2 with Francis York Morgan from Deadly Premonition in my crew..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkpyboFDhc

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Do difficulty indicators stop showing up on Veteran if you set the game to level scale, even if its just the core content upwards? I noticed the option in the menu is on but I've never seen anything like the skulls I saw in screenshots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom