Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

2house2fly

Magister
Considering the size of unity patches normally, I can't imagine a patch that small is doing anything more than adding a comma to a sentence

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
10 fucking days and all they fixed is some dumb ass bugs no one cared about, what about the difficulty and memory leak fix? How the hell did Larian did 1 patch a day and these losers can barely fix shit in 2 weeks, what a total disappointment.

Solfear

Novice
When should we expect the patch for an upgraded difficulty? It has been planned or not yet announced?

Thanks.

Solfear

Novice
Indeed, that what I am waiting for too, I am finishing Tower of Time right now but as I am near the end of it, I am already looking forward to play Pillars 2. But I won't play it without a decent POTD + Ironman first try.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Indeed, that what I am waiting for too, I am finishing Tower of Time right now but as I am near the end of it, I am already looking forward to play Pillars 2. But I won't play it without a decent POTD + Ironman first try.
What do you do on an Ironman run when you get killed? Do you start over immediately? Doesn't it feel frustrating?

Solfear

Novice
It depends on the game, some are better shaped for this kind of gameplay. But I always start again immediately or leave the game for a long time (usually forever :) after some failed attempts).
I reached Act II (Ironman Expert first try) in Divinity 2 for example, but I left the game forever... just because I was bored. Same about Battle Brothers, 5 attempts in Expert - Ironman, I left it after killing the Black Monolith in my second end crisis (290 hours).

Prime Junta

I don't care for Ironman in most games, as unless the game is really built around it (roguelikes for example) it pushes you into super-cautious, low-risk and often tedious modes of gameplay. BB is a good example -- it's not hard as such to play it on Ironman, you just have to avoid ever taking the harder/more dangerous/more interesting contracts, and go through the busywork of retreating to the edge of the map if you notice you're faced with something tougher than you can manage. The trouble is that it's dull, rote, and repetitive.

Solfear

Novice
Battle Brothers is repetitive by essence, but I need this extra feeling of being supercautious as you say when I play something (most of all in a tactical RPG) now, I am bored of the Save&Reload system which kills any form of tension. By the way, Battle Brothers is especially well designed around Ironman in my opinion. Not sure Pillars will be, but I will try anyway.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding the difficulty touch-up, I think the fact that we have only heard Josh mention it once in a stream, and him not wanting to commit on a rough point in time when it may be ready, means that they haven't even tried to estimate how much work it will be yet. It must be just something he knows he will get to, when other issues are cleared. I doubt it will be more people than him and 2-3 other designers going through all the encounters in the whole game. I imagine the rebalance will arrive around September with the first DLC. But yeah, it's just a speculation.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
There are a lot of encounters in the game to be touched up. I would even go farther than that and say it will be an on-going process especially with addition of DLCs as it was in PoE1 where they kept refining until after 3.0.

Trashos

Arcane
Ironman has the point that you can't depend on questionable tactics + reloading. (e.g. in BG2 attacking a Dragon with a Finger of Death with the backup plan of reloading and retrying until it succeeds). It makes things more exciting, as every half-challenging encounter could be the end of the playthrough. It also forces me to study encounters and then plan accordingly. I can't rely on dice rolls.

Ironman makes sense to me in some games, in others it doesn't. But I never play ironman until I feel have studied the game enough. After a failed try, I usually do a more relaxed playthrough in order to try new approaches.

[I also do hybrid-ironman playthroughs, e.g. in New Vegas (+dlc) I try to reduce the number of my deaths. I currently stand at 2-3 deaths/playthrough on Very Hard with the JSawyer mod. (One of the deaths is usually by that 0100101010 robot in OWB, I haven't figured out yet how to deal with the fucker).]

Sizzle

Arcane
Finished the game. Most of the pros and cons have already been discussed, but I'd like to address the ending:

You finally get to face Eothas... only to have him do whatever you suggest to him. No Speech Skill check, nothing, only a weak argument on your part, and he'll go along with what you want. It's basically a dumbed-down version of the "talk down the final boss" trope.

Now, I didn't expect that you would fight him (there was a pretty good techno-dragon fight before you could get to him), but I expected something - having your allies bombard him while the rest of the gods help you sneak into him to sever his connection to the statue/free the souls; or at least passing a grueling, multi-skill check and to convince him to commit suicide or abandon his cause. Anything but this, really.

All in all - pretty good game, the best Obsidian did in a long time - with some glaring flaws, but it has a much stronger foundation to work from than PoE1 did, and I hope the DLCs will improve it the same way TWM improved the first one.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Y6nKxU.jpg

9Gs7TR.jpg

:abyssgazer:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Great, so now I don't have vsync anymore and the performance is worse. It seems the patch disabled fullscreen mode, poe1 had the same problem.

fucking morons. Fix 1 thing, break 8 others.

gg

Wolfe

Arbiter
Hanging Sepulchers at levels 10-11 on PotD was appropriately difficult and a ton on fun. Two of the fights in there were actually great.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is the family feud quest in tikitaka timed, bugged or simply lame?

Barabara family head tells me to find evidence of Valera conspiracy against her. I unveil konspiracy in the Gullet, then fuck off and sail for a few days. I return, tell her of konspiracy and say that Valeras want to negotiate. She says "mkay go tell them imma negotiate".

so i go to valeras and they are liek 'zomg we have dudes storming the barabara vault plz go help them'

i get to choose either from 'nop u die now' or 'ok' and then the barabaras turn hostile as i enter their mansion and yell 'have at thee traitor'

wut

edit: and finally chief barabara says "lololo dat was very unsubtle of u, u big fat failure :^)"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom