Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
In BG 2 the level scaling actually spawned more monsters in certain areas (and stronger monster types too). Probably a better solution than increasing the level scaling caps too high.

Jinn

Arcane
Should I wait for more patches before going further in? I have a three day weekend and need to decide whether to finish Deadfire or play something else while waiting for Sawyer to fix bugs and tune up the combat. Just bought Legends of Eisenwald on sale for two bucks—worth it as a time waster?

I'd recommend waiting. I started to feel the over-poweredness creeping in right around here. Play Legend of Eisenwald on you 3 day weekend. It's very fun. Just has a bit of an unfortunate English translation, but nothing that ruins the game.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
I have no idea what advanced tactics you employ against beholders, except click on them with all (hasted) party members. They spam dispels, spell failure and save or die spells - you can't defend against them except with cheese (you called it that), so you gib them before they can gib you.
Also, what "beholder ridden places" before ch4? It's just the sewer quest, the lone one (Director) in Firkraag's, Twisted Rune has one, Planer Sphere the one the golem kills for you. They don't crop up often before spellhold.

PoE1 on PotD, with story party and no consumables, had plenty of memorable fights for me - Alpine Dragon, Radiant Spore, Brynlod, Elmshore ogres, Eyeless Ambush, generally going into WM1 at lvl 4, Archmages, Ondraite packs, etc.

Interesting you found them all pushovers and the vanilla Bg2 stuff hard, guess I might just suck at PoE.

Go face all the beholders without the shield and cloak, and act like it is ironman (ie, no low % tactics that are do or die). Repeat until you figure out the least cheese that can be used in order to beat them reliably. You already know that the answer is not the same for all situations with beholders, and you get bonus points if you do it without summons (which I consider cheese, although tbf I have no doubt that a few of the fights were designed strictly with summons in mind).

I just wrote that I do that, the shield and cloak are useless with SCS. I don't like summons and I never use them, except for maybe the solars later.

What are these highly thought out tactics you use on beholders?

Attacking with right click has like 5% failure rate, they spam the antimagic first on all your party members before the save or die spells.

what exactly was the point of putting Maneha in the game when all she says to you is "wow didn't expect u 2 be here" and then doesnt even talk to you like what the fuck?

and who the fuck is luca?
The point of Maneha is to sacrifice her to the blood pool for +1 Might.

What's her bonus in Deadfire? DoC gives +1 PEN, makes me think she's the best one.
Using potions and summons is cheesy...?

Everything is cheesy in Bg2 by design. Still great fun.

In BG 2 the level scaling actually spawned more monsters in certain areas (and stronger monster types too). Probably a better solution than increasing the level scaling caps too high.

That's kinda useless since it affects only random mobs and doesn't add to difficulty of real encounters. It's cool when you run into a Lich instead of skeleton warriors though.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In the five years between games
Actually the Deadfire ingame clock shows the same year that's in PoE: 2823 AI.

4ofppzI.jpg

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I love the character building and combat in this game. Biut the difficulty is just messing it all up now. Currently level 8 and just cutting through anything like butter (on Veteran).

Mazisky

Magister
What about integrating Poe1 into Deadfire? Like redesign the poe1 map to have random encounters too and make worlds linked. Caravan for travels. Same level cap and lower progression. Erasing Twin Elms entirely, leave only the critical path there.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So not only you get 12 stat points and lots of skill points with new game+ bonuses, but bonus merchant sell even more cheap stat pieces. Gauntlets +2 might, gloves +2 dex/+2 evocation, belt +2 con and so on.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Well I gave up on replaying it after 25 hours in. Now that I know how to juice up the party the difficulty is laughable even on PoTD.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
getting real tired of your shit sherry
where were you these last days even
you think you can ghost out and simply hop in the thread and spread bliss and positivity ? what now you'll disappear again for a month or two ?
She is an entity that became real to compensate codexers negativity, in the same way Infinitron is a shill-entity to compensate all those burned bridges. But the negativity is winning, she can't bring balance to the Codex no more. It is too strong.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Well I gave up on replaying it after 25 hours in. Now that I know how to juice up the party the difficulty is laughable even on PoTD.
Go and fight the vamps on the undead island then. In your first playtrough you miss them.

Yeah I still have a couple of locations I didn't explore, but it would just be a bore with shitty combat.

I'm thinking about trying a non-priest party, or maybe a non-healer party altogether. That might make the game enough of a challenge until the patches hopefully beef up the difficulty.

Wolfe

Arbiter
That's what I've been doing, no Xoti, keeping Pallegina as a reserve support with Lay on Hands.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I've cut exp in half and it's somewhat better now. Left starting island on lvl 3, collected my harem on lvl 4.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"DebugName": "NPC_Testacles",
"ID": "a2a906a0-cde2-4a91-ad94-db44bf3f30c6",
"Components": [{
"$type": "Game.GameData.CharacterStatsComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
"DisplayName": 317,
"Gender": "Male",
"RaceID": "5ea84750-17c7-419b-8beb-c121c5d68c55",
"SubraceID": "48208f19-7f64-46f9-a68e-fbcb596b89eb",
"CultureID": "7093880b-7527-4087-a764-d6613701a025",
"CharacterProgressionTableID": "92c24eac-7726-4200-bb06-b3ecb08025f2",
"BaseClassLevel": 20,

Is it possible to extract the Unity level files and repackage them?
Is it possible to remove all lootable containers' loot cept the closed ones?
Is it possible to remove all consumables?
Testicles also have a backstory and a companion objects.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, that's also a good idea. Come to think of it, Xoti being a nutjob soul harvesting monk fits better with Dark Xoti than the priest option.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anyway, I was thinking something like: Eder and Rekke upfront, Eder pure fighter, Rekke fighter/barbarian. Maia and PC both rogue/ranger, and Tekehu ranged chanter with damage increasing chants.

No healing whatsoever, but fuckload of damage and the frontline of Eder/Rekke+ chanter summons+ranger pets, that should hold long enough for the backline to delete everything.

Malpercio

Arcane
Cipher's abilities feel underused in this game, there are a lot of cases in which I expected the game to make use of them (Like the coconut thief in Tikawara), but nope.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is level scaling fixed? In save games? Or does it only work with new saves?

Can anybody confirm?

Is it both critical path and normal ?

Sentinel

Arcane
They said they fixed it, but this is Obsidian, so....
They also said they fixed the decreasing fps over long play sessions problem, but it's still there according to reports.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom