Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

DeepOcean

Arcane
As an RPG with huge amount of content should PoE really be judged as a day 1 hit? It's sales may eventually pick up like they picked up for some other "sleeping hits" and provide a stable amount of copies sold.
At full price? No.

Prime Junta

I wonder if this freeLC coming out just a week after the release doesn't signal an attempt to bump sales a bit.

You wouldn't expect a company would release a game only to add freeLC one week later. A freeLC has a meaning as a measure to boost hype, create postive news coverage, and the first week after release is a period when you'd think the hype would still be raging, and such measures as freeLC would not be needed. Right?

The FreeLC will certainly have taken more than a week to develop and test.

So no. The decision must have been made much earlier.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I somehow missed the announcement for this DLC. Anyone care to fill me in? Also, when is the patch coming out?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
With HP amount enemies and characters in PoE2 there is no reason to make most of abilities or even spells per rest because none of them are very hard hitting to begin with unlike in IE games.
This HP inflation is part of the whole approach towards more granularity, intended to allow for more nuanced effects and durations. It's the same thinking behind the d100 die and the shifting tresholds of miss/graze/hit/critical.

The FreeLC will certainly have taken more than a week to develop and test.
Of course it would, duh. I'd even wager it's something they wanted to have in the game at release (Mirke) but at some point saw they won't make it and put it off as a FreeLC.

The decision to release it now, however, may have been made in response to certain first week sales expectations not being met. And I'm listing the arguments why this may be the case.

Reinhardt

Arcane
But why? You and your crew can survive on water and hardtacks just fine. Add some ship combat to the mix and it will be even with 100 morale.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This HP inflation is part of the whole approach towards more granularity, intended to allow for more nuanced effects and durations. It's the same thinking behind the d100 die and the shifting tresholds of miss/graze/hit/critical.

There is no HP inflation. If anything enemies don't have enough HP. You shouldn't be able to two-shot a high level enemy mage.

Perkel

Arcane

What you said doesn't negate what i said. Per rest makes sense in IE games because 1 spell at lower level can severely hurt someone. So you need to use abilities/spells sparingly to ensure you have something in next fight.
In PoE2 system it wouldn't make sense because each of those spells don't do as much.

That being said i like PoE2 system more than IE.

There is no HP inflation. If anything enemies don't have enough HP. You shouldn't be able to two-shot a high level enemy mage.

In comparison to IE games where with sneak attack you could one shot even high level fighters let alone squishy mages.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hmmm, game flopped... Hmm, 75% off on eight months with rebalancing patchs and maybe mods... Humm... game of the year edition, 75% off at summer steam sales on 2019? Maybe christmas 2019?

Keep beta testing guise, will continue my playthrough when Sawyer releases PoE 2 3.0 patch by christmas 2019.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Isn't this game supposed to keep Obsidian afloat until the Cainarsky game?
Chris Avellone made pretty clear in his comments about the backstages of Obsidian that it was Armored Warfare that kept Obsidian afloat, not Pillars of Eternity. That is even if you consider that Pillars was hugely successful on release. You can guess that the publisher took a big chunk out of the profits and the rest went to owners and Sawyer’s pockets in the form of royalties (again, see Avellone’s comments). That’s their model. Find a publish to pay the employees and keep the profits to a selected few on the upper management. You should also consider they made some personal investment with additional funds, but I don’t know how much. The expansions were probably in the agreement with the publisher too, so they will have to finish and release these games even if they sell poorly.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I was merely saying that ability costs go up as their power level rank go up, with some costing 4.
I'm at max level, an empower would only give me 1 use of gambit or flurry strikes for my rogue. Given high level passive improve awesome button use, you might even build around that and not refill.
Isn't it a fact ?

If you mean to say that it's too powerful, or imba, then damn thanks for your contribution it's totally not what everybody's saying in the last hundred pages.

Tl,dr you want to spam ten KD in a row, fine. Some people want to rest after every fight and prebuff before any as well. You're free my dude. Just don't pretend you have to for one and not the other.

That doesn't change anything in regards to actual gameplay. By the endgame you have in excess of 10 power points so even if you try to use as many cost heavy abilities as possible you end up with 3 heavy cost powers and 2-4 lower cost powers. Fights rarely if ever last long enough for this to happen (my final boss fight on PotD certainly didn't).

The core gamplay loop from the outset is has a significant tedious part for no good reason.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
I wonder if this freeLC coming out just a week after the release doesn't signal an attempt to bump sales a bit.

You wouldn't expect a company would release a game only to add freeLC one week later. A freeLC has a meaning as a measure to boost hype, create postive news coverage, and the first week after release is a period when you'd think the hype would still be raging, and such measures as freeLC would not be needed. Right?
I figure they've got some overpriced analyst telling them that its better to make it optional and call it a free DLC than to just patch it in for everyone. Makes it more visible, I suppose

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I was merely saying that ability costs go up as their power level rank go up, with some costing 4.
I'm at max level, an empower would only give me 1 use of gambit or flurry strikes for my rogue. Given high level passive improve awesome button use, you might even build around that and not refill.
Isn't it a fact ?

If you mean to say that it's too powerful, or imba, then damn thanks for your contribution it's totally not what everybody's saying in the last hundred pages.

Tl,dr you want to spam ten KD in a row, fine. Some people want to rest after every fight and prebuff before any as well. You're free my dude. Just don't pretend you have to for one and not the other.

That doesn't change anything in regards to actual gameplay. By the endgame you have in excess of 10 power points so even if you try to use as many cost heavy abilities as possible you end up with 3 heavy cost powers and 1-2 lower cost powers. Fights rarely if ever last long enough for this to happen (my final boss fight on PotD certainly didn't).
Sigh... It's common on forums to forget what people were actually talking about, because of how disjointed discussions are. But that wasn't the point of my original post at all.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Shit I can't find any decent adice on a single-class builds because every forum is plagued by MULTICLASSOR retards. Even when someone asks about single class build there are aways degenerates, bubbling "HURR WHY NOT MULTICAS BRUDDA? TRY MULTI NIGGA"
Also, game, designed by an Apostle of Balance is so unbalanced that official forums is ridden with invulnerable builds. And according to that posts mods delete them from time to time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
And get turned into minced meat by the martials. I think it's kind of pointless talking about current balance when they've said it's literally placeholder tbh. Let's see what this "patch later this week" brings first.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Shit I can't find any decent adice on a single-class builds because every forum is plagued by MULTICLASSOR retards. Even when someone asks about single class build there are aways degenerates, bubbling "HURR WHY NOT MULTICAS BRUDDA? TRY MULTI NIGGA"
Also, game, designed by an Apostle of Balance is so unbalanced that official forums is ridden with invulnerable builds. And according to that posts mods delete them from time to time.

It was obvious from the start multi-classing is gonna be broken on release. I've made my entire party single-class.

Perkel

Arcane

It was obvious from the start multi-classing is gonna be broken on release. I've made my entire party single-class.

Same here. I don't have any multiclased character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom