Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Meanwhile everything else in dumpsterfire that isn't main story is sort of interesting because this sort of early colonisation interactions, faction struggles, native perspectives etc. are unexplored.

Monomyth fans to the lamp posts, new vegas structure best structure.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I acknowledge that it being more expensive than DOS2 was pretty weird. DOS2 is just as big, maybe Deadfire is a little bigger, can't say right now. But either way DOS2 is a game of the same caliber, even though it's worse in several ways. POE2 being more expensive might turn people away.

Maybe they were aware of likely reduced sales compared to the first, but their analysis provided them with evidence that the people who would buy it at launch, weren't as sensitive to the price, so they made up for the lower sales numbers with a higher ASP (full price and 3 DLC).

FreeKaner

It depends. If you have a really good story, then keep on telling it. If not, then start anew.

No story is good enough to tell for 200 hours.
Then why is Disney making billions off of fucking Star Wars and Marvel movies, although they have been regurgitating the same shit over and over for decades?

The scope of video games is larger than movies, more encompassing too. A good story can be stretched too thin and damaged in the process as well, especially in video games where they have to be conclusive in one instalment while continuing to next.

Also star wars is garbage.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yhea, I'm starting to see a trend with studios that bitch about publishers. You have Obsidian crying about publishers shutting down their shitty projects and now we find out that they are as shady as those they cry about. You have Tim Schafer and his stupid ass crying about publishers not wanting to give him time or invest in his projects, makes a kickstarter, get's millions of dollars and procedes to make Broken Age, one of the most delayed, laziest, shortest, pile of crap we've seen in a long time. And who knows how many other Studios have this upitty attitude with publishers that we just don't know about. The big bad publisher keeps us down, boo fucking hoo.
They treated us as suckers because we were suckers. We are so used to this “suits are evil” stereotypes that we all fell for it. Now I’m starting to notice another type of ingenuous rationalisation with these “Fallout is so difficult we need to make things simpler” excuses. It would be bad enough if they were trying to attract casual gamers, but I think it is actually worse. Most of the veterans are not cRPG players at heart anymore. They are burnout. They want to make action games labelled as cRPGs, because they only play these kind of games. You will see more and more players accepting these compromises with the excuse that this is necessary to survive without realising that their favourite developers are not like then anymore.

Actually, catering to them should make them more afraid cause it only attracts a certain audience which might lead into a spiral of retardation.
Attracting? How about making them desensitized to retardation in the first place?

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
I've been saying PoE's combat is a clusterfuck since the beginning. And, yes, it's obvious they either don't know what they want to achieve with it or are trying to cater to too many types of people at once, which makes it impossible to not be a clusterfuck. The terrible, terrible UI doesn't help.
That can be said of the whole. PoE as a franchise is born with original sins. It cannot stray too far, for its conception is an appeal to nostalgia. Paradoxically, it cannot just retread the old path, else it will lose to nostalgia. This paradox strangles it from birth to its likely death what with suboptimal sales. It has the potential all along, yet still failed to stand on its own legs. The sole saving grace is we can still get a PnP system/setting out of it if Josh and co. press on despite everything, alas, what a waste.

I already pointed out that Paradox did a much better campaign for PoE than Versus Evil have for Deadfire.

I don't know if it was Paradox, but it did feel to me that especially after Katrina left, Obsidian just disappeared off the earth for a while, only re-emerging when they announced the Critical Role stuff.

They had this cool-looking game to show off, they should have made more videos and trailers of it.

Why did they pick Versus Evil? Paradox seems to be a trier above them when it comes to experience and reach. For a sequel with higher production costs, they should have went up a tier not down when changing publishers.
Well, Feargus burned the bridges with Paradox, so...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Or how about having it be an inbuild option in the gameplay menu?

[ ] Homosexuality ("Check this box if you would like your companions to be homosexual.")

This is the worst option possible. Mature people's personalities and character aren't shaped entirely by their sexuality, but it does play some role in a well-rounded individual, even if only in the realization you are unusual. And that only in countries where it's not a big deal (the West), it will affect you more profoundly in cultures where it's looked down on. It also has the potential to either strengthen you by you finding the will and acceptance within yourself to defy peer pressure or it can lead to deep psychological damage. If you aren't stoned or hanged that is. Turning this into a switch/option negates dramatic potential and character growth and turns it into a joke and pandering. It also shows how spineless the writers/developers are and how they don't have the balls to commit to their ideology/vision/design/whatever. Making everyone bisexual does this as well, btw, unless there is some outstanding justification.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
People shitting on Roxor for not knowing about the combat speed dial, but that is actually a fairly important aspect of the game - the tutorials suck donkey balls. They explain some mechanics but the combat UI goes completely ignored. For someone new to the genre they'll have a very hard time (not to say impossible) figuring out what is going on. Wouldn't surprise me if people think the combat is too chaotic because a lot of them simply don't know about the slider or what the numbers/icons mean.
Can't you just highlight everything and get the pop-up like we did back in the old days?
I mean stuff like this

Nsh7nWo.jpg

The circled ones are all :incline:, dunno why they would bother you, pretty unobtrusive. The counters on the tooltip on the left could be smaller I guess, or disabled with a toggle, at least for the basic inspiration/afflictions, after you learn what's what.
They don't bother me at all. My point is that the game doesn't explain what any of that stuff means. There's no combat UI tutorial.

imweasel

It depends. If you have a really good story, then keep on telling it. If not, then start anew.

Then why is Disney making billions off of fucking Star Wars and Marvel movies, although they have been regurgitating the same shit over and over for decades?

The scope of video games is larger than movies, more encompassing too.
What about those thousands of comic books and Star Wars expanded universe I was referring too? Are you seriously saying that a video game and two or three direct sequels has more scope? :lol:

Also what about Mass Effect and Commander Shepard? The fans gobbled that shit up (until they completely fucked up the story in ME3).

Trithne

Erudite
Apparently this thread is not the only place where people lose their heads.

s7EEfwgqSZtp-JPcSfh6irGP51A8-dn1cv6Eav-Mo3Q.jpg

And yes, you can give that head to quest giver and end the quest.

Bloody hell, NWN had an example of how to avoid this in the "how to make modules 101" guide. Quest designer fail and QA tester fail.

Tigranes

Arcane
Apparently this thread is not the only place where people lose their heads.

s7EEfwgqSZtp-JPcSfh6irGP51A8-dn1cv6Eav-Mo3Q.jpg

And yes, you can give that head to quest giver and end the quest.

Bloody hell, NWN had an example of how to avoid this in the "how to make modules 101" guide. Quest designer fail and QA tester fail.

obviously it's a revolutionary new way to enable pacifist solutions to bounty quests

Generic-Giant-Spider

I bet you played the Witcher 3. Or any wester game with romance, really

Nigga, I don't even like romances in RPGs. But I would give a pass to Witcher games since they're adapted from a series of novels and you're taking control of Geralt himself, plus the romances he embarks on have something to do with the story itself as opposed to putting it in to appease lonely boys and fat girls.

You don't like it because you are an homophobe. Stop making excuses, it makes your position even weaker in the argument. You are a stupid conservative mad about gay stuff in his game. That's OK, you are not special, but stop trying to deflect the argument and look better.

Homophobe? I eat insects, kid. I'm a certified bug hunter.

What's so absurd about it? Compared to any other romance. We know the game world has many fantasy race, so there is nothing particularly weird about one character being a "shark boy". The main character can be a shark boy too. Or an elf. Or a midget.

"What's so absurd about fucking a fishman?"

But the only perpetual butthurt is yours, though.

I have an unblemished record of never putting any sort of phallic object up my rectum. Your move, Mercury.

I wonder why you only care about the bisexual male companions, but literally pay the women no mind.

Because women are hot as fuk.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is the worst option possible.
This is a non-issue. If topics involving sexual orientation need to be included in the game at all, gays and bisexuals should be represented as minorities because they are minorities in the real world and because the target audience is mostly heterosexual. Pretending that the characters calling the shots are all women and making all the characters bisexuals is so patently absurd that is insulting. The same thing holds for the use of race in games and fiction in general. Every time I watch a new movie where the CEO and figures of competence are black, the immersion is instantly ruined because I know the movie director is trying to manipulate and mould me against “the prejudices of society”.

FreeKaner

The scope of video games is larger than movies, more encompassing too.
What about those thousands of comic books and Star Wars expanded universe I was referring too? Are you seriously saying that a video game and two or three direct sequels has more scope? :lol:

Also what about Mass Effect and Commander Shepard? The fans gobbled that shit up (until they completely fucked up the story in ME3).

They aren't good stories.

FreeKaner

This is a non-issue. If topics involving sexual orientation need to be included in the game at all, gays and bisexuals should be represented as minorities because they are minorities in the real world and because the target audience is mostly heterosexual. Pretending that the characters calling the shots are all women and making all the characters bisexuals is so patently absurd that is insulting. The same thing holds for the use of race in games and fiction in general. Every time I watch a new movie where the CEO and figures of competence are black, the immersion is instantly ruined because I know the movie director is trying to manipulate and mould me against “the prejudices of society”.

All of your companions being bisexual does not make them not minorities. This is a shit argument as to why it's bad writing to have everyone around you being bisexual and wanting to jump on your dick. In fact your inane retarded politics is muddying the waters against real issues.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's only natural. My gypsy dwarf is such a charming guy that not wanting to sleep with him would be considered odd.

3IH0F99.png

(Half)Seriously though, meeting Tekēhu and choosing dialogue options felt like a god damn minefield. My guy is really not gay, and definitely not the flirting type, even so I ended up with this:

QgUXvs9.png

Parabalus

Arcane
This is the worst option possible.
gays and bisexuals should be represented as minorities because they are minorities in the real world and because the target audience is mostly heterosexual.

Eora, and in particularly your experience of it as a pirate, are not representative of the target audience. It's like that thing with accents, just because on Earth British accent=posh, doesn't mean the same should apply in PoE.

Earth would have a different view on sexuality if there were a bunch of ???s running around in the form of Godlikes, magic was commonplace, your soul is veritably reincarnated in a different race/gender each cycle etc.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If topics involving sexual orientation need to be included in the game at all, gays and bisexuals should be represented as minorities because they are minorities in the real world and because the target audience is mostly heterosexual.

This is called catering and pandering. Also, are there any other bisexuals in the entire game? Or is it only the 5 people in your party? If it's only them, I'd say that constitutes a minority. If the game has 300 NPCs, then 5 people of them being LGBT isn't even representative of the real world prevalence.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
When will white boys finally be able to empathize with the people they’ve oppressed? Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss, I accuse you of being a bigot!

Parabalus

Arcane

FreeKaner

It's only natural. My gypsy dwarf is such a charming guy that not wanting to sleep with him would be considered odd.

3IH0F99.png

(Half)Seriously though, meeting Tekēhu and choosing dialogue options felt like a god damn minefield. My guy is really not gay, and definitely not the flirting type, even so I ended up with this:

QgUXvs9.png

You know what to do Abu Durgan Ibn Abdul Al-Drywoodi

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom