Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Payd Shell

Arcane
Them being "fake" has nothing to do with their mundanity. It's that they are boring, and the more they open their mouths the more boring they become. The setting inhabitants' relationship to the gods is also weird and cringey.
Yes it does. Mundane in the sense that they are nothing extraordinary, they're simply constructs build by an advanced civilization. They appear to the common folk as gods in the same way a gun would appear to be of magical origin to the people living in the dark age.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They are extraordinary, the current civilization can't make more of them, and won't be able to for a very long time, sooooo.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
They appear to the common folk as gods in the same way a gun would appear to be of magical origin to the people living in the dark age.

Except a gun doesn't have a will of its own, or a consciousness, or immense power to carry out said will.

Payd Shell

Arcane
They are extraordinary, the current civilization can't make more of them, and won't be able to for a very long time, sooooo.
Keep in mind the advancement of animancy has been sabotaged by the leaden key, though. That's what I meant when I said the engwithians created a faux reality. They're exceptional only in that illusion but mundane for the people that know the truth.
Except a gun doesn't have a will of its own, or a consciousness, or immense power to carry out said will.
That's not how comparisons work

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They appear to the common folk as gods in the same way a gun would appear to be of magical origin to the people living in the dark age.

They feel as if copy of Alexa managed to survive and a few caveman managed to turn it on. The gods are boring and idiotic,if people can't see that simple fact then they are idiots too. There is a good reason for PoE franchise to be dead in the water.You may side step all that retarded shit as much as you want,normal people won't and don't care about that drivel. If i wasn't an rpg fan i wouldn't have get pass the first act let alone play the second game. I have better things to do with my life than to read tumblr's fanfic in the form of BG clone with autistic system.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoops, I forgot about the stream. Archived:

Was there anything interesting?

Jinn

Arcane
That's not how comparisons work

I was pointing out that it was a poor comparison.

They feel as if copy of Alexa managed to survive and a few caveman managed to turn it on. The gods are boring and idiotic,if people can't see that simple fact then they are idiots too. There is a good reason for PoE franchise to be dead in the water.You may side step all that retarded shit as much as you want,normal people won't and don't care about that drivel. If i wasn't an rpg fan i wouldn't have get pass the first act let alone play the second game. I have better things to do with my life than to read tumblr's fanfic in the form of BG clone with autistic system.

Why so angry? Does it upset you that someone has a differing opinion than your own? Note that I've never said how awesome I thought the gods were, but I don't think they are as nonsensical as people make them out to be. All I've been doing in this conversation is pointing out how people saying the idea of the gods is retarded within the logical confines of the setting don't even seem to know fully why they think that is. I still haven't seen any real logical inconsistencies pointed out. This is fine, you can simply not like the idea, but to say it doesn't make sense in terms of the setting is just ignoring a great deal of information that is directly accessible to the player.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They say that most of the DLC actually does not take place in a snow area.

Lacrymas

Arcane
All I've been doing in this conversation is pointing out how people saying the idea of the gods is retarded within the logical confines of the setting don't even seem to know fully why they think that is. I still haven't seen any real logical inconsistencies pointed out.

What "idea" do people find retarded? I personally have been saying the gods being fake doesn't have dramatic implications or consequences in-setting and is not a logical conclusion to the story being told to us in PoE1. In that it doesn't pertain to it and it's something extraneous slapped on there for dubious reasons. I think it was included just to give some kind of vague justification to Thaos' actions without him coming off as simply a nutjob (he did indeed come off as that regardless), without any thought given to the bigger picture.

Payd Shell

Arcane
I was pointing out that it was a poor comparison.
And I was pointing out that this isn't how comparisons work. I didn't say that the gods are exactly like a gun would be in the dark ages, I said that the perception of the gods as something extraordinary can be compared to how a gun would be perceived in the dark ages, as something exceptional, other-worldly or magical. You know, because in both of these cases the perception is heavily influenced by a lack of knowledge, not because the thing in question is something that's inherently exceptional.

Jinn

Arcane
What "idea" do people find retarded?

I didn't say "people like Lacrymas." I'm mainly referring to the people I've been directly responding to. If you feel that it seems tacked on, that's fine. I feel like it was fairly logically woven into the greater lore of the world. That doesn't necessarily make it good, but it's enough to hold my interest at times. It's a fairly standard pantheon of gods representing standard aspects of life. Few of them particularly noteworthy, but I do like the concepts of Berath, Wael, and Woedica a fair amount. I also enjoyed exploring the relationship between Ondra and Abydon in The White March. As for Thaos' motivation, I also find the concept of someone who feels mankind left to its own devices isn't to be trusted and creates a tangible system of belief upon that thought to be a decent framing for a villain. With the theme of reincarnation behind all of this, it's enough to keep me exploring the lore while I'm exploring the game world.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think the concept is fine. The fact that it was the 'big reveal' of the first game was generally a huge shrug of a moment though (they're not really gods... but functionally, it's the same thing, so oh well), and Obsidian doubled down on that by making the reveal itself largely irrelevant in Deadfire.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Brandon refuses to comment on whether any future DLC might add a full companion and not just sidekicks. :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Brandon refuses to comment on whether any future DLC might add a full companion and not just a sidekick. :M
It all depends if this one sells well. If it moves like 2000 copies it will be huge waste of work to add bonus companions to future DLCs.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Artificial or genuine, what does it matter as long as the Gods do interesting stuff, scheme against each other, raise armies of mortals, guide adventurers through secret halls to do their bidding, etc.
As portrayed in that room in the big tree near the end of PoE1, or in White March, they were cool. As portrayed in Deadfire, as incompetent and impotent, they were seriously lame.

And that ship of Eothasian suicide fanatics were portrayed as lame and useless too, because the whole story is set up to be pure garbage by making Eothas's statue invincible.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
And I was pointing out that this isn't how comparisons work. I didn't say that the gods are exactly like a gun would be in the dark ages, I said that the perception of the gods as something extraordinary can be compared to how a gun would be perceived in the dark ages, as something exceptional, other-worldly or magical. You know, because in both of these cases the perception is heavily influenced by a lack of knowledge, not because the thing in question is something that's inherently exceptional.

I gotya now. It's just that the comparison of an inanimate object with something that has a consciousness, can be empathized with, and conversed with that threw me off the main point. I understand where you're coming from.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Few of them particularly noteworthy, but I do like the concepts of Berath, Wael, and Woedica a fair amount.

Some of their concepts are interesting, sure, and I've been known to argue (it's a thread that was split up from something else) for that from time to time. I don't think anybody is actively complaining about the gods existing or their portfolios, it's their role in the story that is lame and pointless. For such concepts, they do surprisingly little and are shockingly drab.

Jinn

Arcane
Some of their concepts are interesting, sure, and I've been known to argue (it's a thread that was split up from something else) for that from time to time. I don't think anybody is actively complaining about the gods existing or their portfolios, it's their role in the story that is lame and pointless. For such concepts, they do surprisingly little and are shockingly drab.

I can certainly agree with that. Since I tend to play CRPGs more for their settings and lore rather than their plot (in terms of narrative anyway - obviously gameplay is king), the background provided for Eora kind of takes over as the driving force for me, so I tend to remember the gods in their essence, rather than how they interact with the PC. Though, I did enjoy the conversation with Berath at the beginning PoE II, despite it's hindrance of the opening pacing.

I really haven't touched the main plot of PoE II much at all, and have seen it only as an excuse to explore the interesting setting of Deadfire. While this doesn't excuse it's clear and obvious failings as a plot, it's enough for me to have fun with. I'm about 50 hours into the game and I haven't even been to Hasongo yet.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
lol there's a location here called the Temple of Decline. :P

The site of a major spoiler apparently. It's right at the end of the stream if you want to see.

Ulfhednar

Savant
The gods work well when they embody a theme - Ondra in WM is the best story-telling in the series because you’re stepping on her toes by discovering the secrets around Abydon that Ondra wants the world to forget.

Deadfire kills any possible interest the player could get from the gods by having them assemble at a council less than an hour into the game. It doesn’t make sense thematically for them to work together this way, and it muddies the narrative of the Watcher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom