Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pharaoh: A New Era - remake of 1999 city builder

catfood

AGAIN
Seems there will be no good old game left without these shitty 'remakes' or 'remasters' soon.

How great is to have an old desktop with WinXP to play old gems as they were at their time.
You need an old desktop with Win98 to play this old gem as it was at its time.

Gaznak

Learned

Having Win98 would narrow down one's opportunities to play as many old gems as possible.

By 'as it was at its time' I mean no widescreen nonsense and other visual and 'QoL upgrades' at least. Playing old games in their native resolution is a gift of Heaven. Seems no one here is old enough to grasp it yet.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
How is the UI mobile?
I haven't played the original. Can someone who played the two games compare them?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
this looks alright but the only important change i care about is giving walkers infinite range like in zeus or emperor; if you've played impressions' later games then you probably get what i'm saying. it would be a dream come true for me if emperor's or even zeus' improvements made it into pharaoh

Last edited:

Victor1234

Educated
this looks alright but the only important change i care about is giving walkers infinite range like in zeus or emperor; if you've played impressions' later games then you probably get what i'm saying. it would be a dream come true for me if emperor's or even zeus' improvements made it into pharaoh
You should try Augustus. It's the functionality of later games (roadblocks from Pharaoh for example) ported backwards into Caesar 3.

https://github.com/Keriew/augustus

Gameplay enhancements include:
  • Roadblocks
  • Market special orders
  • Global labour pool
  • Partial warehouse storage
  • Increased game limits
  • Zoom controls
  • And more!

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Seems there will be no good old game left without these shitty 'remakes' or 'remasters' soon.

How great is to have an old desktop with WinXP to play old gems as they were at their time.
Can't you just run 98 or XP in a VM?

That's how I played Exile.

Leonard

Educated

Video with a summary of the changes and the gameplay in the new Pharaoh. From the nice things: You have an option to remove labor walkers and a few other changes which is good.

From the bad things: Military basically got removed, it's now just an autocalc cutscene. What a huge disappointment.

Gaznak

Learned
Can't you just run 98 or XP in a VM?
Why should I do it when I bought the 2010-born desktop just for the purpose, i.e. as a secondary old-gaming PC?

EDIT: Holy Horus, I just run the 'gameplay overview' video now... Who in the name of the deepest bloody Hell could seriously mean not only buying this abomination but even pirating it?

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
the ui is actually worse in some regards but otherwise it's the same exact game (except for the military-related gameplay being simplified, although i've yet to meet the single person who enjoys impressions' games for the sake of telling blobs of people what to attack)

laclongquan

Arcane
Interesting~

Because they dont have original source, they have to make anew with the old style in mind...

Which is like you play Pharaoh expanded missions~

I will keep this in mind the next time my building urge arises~

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Presentation-wise it looks like a soulless copy made with less talent and it seems they stripped some features away (camera rotation, minimap, combat). I see zero point to this.

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
After reading the reviews looks like they butchered or half assed one too many things about it.

Better stick to old one with high res mod.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Losing the military stuff is a no go for me. These developers are morons who obviously didn't play Children of the Nile to know that this combat system is a terrible idea.
If you're going to re-release a game at least do so with its core features intact. Doing this is a cop out. I can ignore most of what they did but not this, this is unforgivable.

And I say that as a fan of Children of the Nile. But the military stuff in that game was terrible and its 1:1 here.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Losing the military stuff is a no go for me. These developers are morons who obviously didn't play Children of the Nile to know that this combat system is a terrible idea.
If you're going to re-release a game at least do so with its core features intact. Doing this is a cop out. I can ignore most of what they did but not this, this is unforgivable.

And I say that as a fan of Children of the Nile. But the military stuff in that game was terrible and its 1:1 here.

Wait, what do you mean by this? They altered the combat? I found it pretty enjoyable in the original (if extremely easy) but I haven't touched it in like a decade, so what do I know.

Hmmm. Let's see what the internet says.

The entire sequence is simulated when the invasion finally happens based on your stats, resources, and military. You have no control over your soldiers, chariots, archers, etc. To win a war in Pharaoh: A New Era, you must prepare beforehand instead of relying on your RTS talents. Developers have stripped the RTS out of the remake in terms of unit controls.

What. The. Fuck.

:mob:

Harthwain

Magister
Wait, what do you mean by this? They altered the combat? I found it pretty enjoyable in the original (if extremely easy) but I haven't touched it in like a decade, so what do I know.
They turned combat into autobattles.

I can see why they did this, but if they really wanted to make a change, I argue they should've mixed Caesar II campaign battles with Zeus: Master of Olympus campaign map: you send forces somewhere and then fight on a battlefield to determine a winner. Same for enemies attacking your cities. Pharaoh: A New Era has a campaign map as such, so it ought to be doable (although it'd probaby take more effort that what they did and maybe that's why we got what we got).

Alternatively, do it Stronghold-style. It would still be altering the original (significantly), but at the very least it could make military aspect more interesting, instead of less.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Battles were a pretty big part of the original, even if the actual combat gameplay might not have been "good."

Stripping out core features and replacing it with something inferior is exactly the opposite of why people want a good remaster.

Also, judging by the trailer alone, I think I prefer the old graphics anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom