Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pharaoh: A New Era - remake of 1999 city builder

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
it's licensed under
Not just the viroid GPL3, its Affero GPL3 even, with "Network use is distribution".

The Pharao Remake engine is probably from Lethis. It was not Unity. All custom: C++, SDL, CEGUI, Lua, maps are plain text xml, animations in png form from codeandweb.com/texturepacker
I think even all the building rules are externalized, eg Fishery.luac must be doing some logic.
Then there is a /plugins folder with most VLC plugins lul, including 'visualization' =D

It looks moddable if you manage to hook the lua engine and force it to eat uncompiled scripts.
But nobody cared lel.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I noticed that Egyptians were kangzzz and shieeet. LoL may try it out if it comes out. Now i am enjoying Grand Age Rome,pretty fun city builder.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pharaoh-a-new-era/reveal-trailer

Classic city builder Pharaoh is making its return, exploits and all
pharaoh-a-new-era-announcement-580x334.jpg

Pharaoh, Sierra’s follow-up title to its Caesar 1990s-era series of city-building games, is getting a remake. Pharaoh: A New Era is currently in development by Triskell Interactive and will be coming in 2021 from French publisher Dotemu.

No specific release date has yet been set for Pharaoh: A New Era, but we had the opportunity to view a hands-off demo with the developer, which showcased much of what’s new for this edition of the classic management game. The star of the show is the total graphical overhaul – while A New Era maintains the 2D isometric perspective of the original, new hand-drawn characters, buildings, and environments mean this new version of Pharaoh will be right at home on modern 4K monitors.

In Pharaoh, your job is to manage an Egyptian settlement on the Nile. As in the Caesar games, the object was to optimise the placement of housing, recruitment facilities, production and supply lines, and entertainment in order to make the best use of your given territory. You’ll have to plan your agriculture around the regular flooding of the Nile, and produce crops and products that sustain your city or make for attractive exports to neighboring areas.

As was the case in Caesar, one of your main concerns in Pharaoh is the quality of your housing. The simple hovels you place down initially improve as you add access to more services, like law enforcement, medical care, and temples. Higher-quality houses unlock access to new structures, and with those new buildings you can further expand and begin trading with other territories.

While Pharaoh: A New Era has a brand-new code base – it’s being rebuilt from the ground up – Triskell’s developers want to make sure that veteran Pharoah players will feel at home in the new version. They’ve gone so far as to leave in specific soft exploits that high-level Pharaoh players figured out in the original game.

One of those has to do with abusing the building AI. Structures like farms, temples, and papyrus workshops send out ‘walkers’ once they’re built, and these walkers recruit workers when they reach a housing area. Savvy road and building placement allowed players to exert more control over where walkers were placed and how far their routes would take them, and Triskell says it’s building that back into this new version of the game.

“There are ways to never have to use roadblocks, to make your walker walk hundreds of tiles before coming back to the building by abusing priorities and stuff like that,” one developer told us. “This was something that was in the original game – we don’t know if it was really intended, but players discovered it and used it, so we are keeping that in the remake.”

Pharaoh: A New Era will include 50 single-player missions when it launches in 2021. No specific release date beyond 2021 has been set yet, but you can wishlist it on Steam if you’d like to get a nice little notification when it comes out.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

It seems this game received the intro special treatment that also Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition received.

They take a perfectly fine intro with its flair and 90's aesthetics and instead of cleaning it up and slightly retouching it, they make a Disney version of it.

From this
upload_2020-11-8_12-34-14.png
to this
hercules-ss01.jpg

Farewell into the night

Wow, I've played the original back in te day. I'm curious about the new one. I hope they will make some gameplay video.

Aemar

Arcane
I liked Pharaoh back in the day, but I'm not excited for this. You can still play the GoG version of the original game just fine and I don't expect them to improve the game in any meaningful way. I like that they stick to the original look, but I don't think I'll buy this.
This. Absolutely no reason at all to buy this game as long as the original release can still be found on GOG.

Israfael

Arcane

I wonder if it's me or the screenshots / graphix style got worse? Now it's even more round and clean than it was in the first news pieces... These small statues almost scream "Look I'm a small kids game!!"

Ravielsk

Magister
In 2010 I was wondering what the industry might look like in 10 years and honestly I would not have guessed that it would half revolve around remaking old games from the 90s instead of new shit. Seriously at this point browsing Rom sites for old games feels fresher and more interesting than the lineup of upcoming games.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Lol, even YouTube comments are vastly negative towards this new cartoonish style. It will flop.

0wca

Learned
Pretty conflicted about this. The pics look like a remaster and yet it says remake in the description. Also they turned the original cutscrnes into animated ones, so already changing stuff.

You can already play Pharaoh on widescreen resolution with the patches. If this ends up like the Julius/Augustus mod for C3 then it's definitely incline.

If it ends up like Pharaoh meets Lethis, I will take a giant shit in the review section.

EDIT: Just watched some gameplay trailers. Stop making every goddamn fucking game look like it was meant for 5-year-olds you patronizing cunts!

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
100% pointless remake. I don't mind the animated intro (it's clearly inspired by Prince of Egypt, which was released couple of years before Pharaoh). Cartoony enviro is a result of redrawing assets designed for a low resolution. They should draw more texture and small details.
Oh well, maybe they'll fix some game-breaking bugs and balance issues.

Gaznak

Learned
Seems there will be no good old game left without these shitty 'remakes' or 'remasters' soon.

How great is to have an old desktop with WinXP to play old gems as they were at their time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom