Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines on Fallout 3

elander_

Arbiter
I can picture the first F3 screenshot just now. First person view with a minimal hud and huge letters so that console kids can read them. I could accept the game if it was only for this but i don't even want to imagine how will they simplify SPECIAL so that the console kids don't have to use their brains much with all those stats and skills. And i supose we can kiss turn-base goodby too.

obediah

Erudite
elander_ said:
I can picture the first F3 screenshot just now. First person view with a minimal hud and huge letters so that console kids can read them. I could accept the game if it was only for this but i don't even want to imagine how will they simplify SPECIAL so that the console kids don't have to use their brains much with all those stats and skills. And i supose we can kiss turn-base goodby too.

I bet the first screenshot has no HUD or text at all. The first few batches of screenshots are usually all about the wow factor, especially in FPS's.

HardCode

Erudite
The Daily Squawker October 2009:

After the 7 month delayed release of Fallout 3 and being on the shelves for 4 months, ZeniMax announces the closure of their game satellite Bethesda Studios. When questioned about the filed bankruptcy, Vice President of Public Relations, Pete Hines, told The Squawker, "Trust us, the bankruptcy proceedings will be cool." Lead Designer Todd Howard told The Squawker, "When the Bankruptcy Court judge hits the gavel, I hope it shoots fireballs like a rocket launcher because they are soooo kewl man, like I hope his watch is like a quest compass so he can find the courtroom ..." Shortly after, Mr. Howard was committed to the local mental institution or observation.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
HardCode said:
More like "Sellout 3".

Pete Hines said:
... but the problem is that when you come back to your house and there are items missing, it doesn't feel like somebody's stolen them, more like the game's broken.

Only the XBox morons who couldn't find Caius would think that. Then again, who is the target audience?
Bullshit! If you come back to your stashed loot and something is gone, you are gonna think it's a bug. In fact a bug like that existed with containers in Morrwind, I remember nobody posting about how cool the stealing in MW was. If you want to make this into a gameplay component, you have to make the stealing NPC leave traces of his activity, you have to program mechanics that allow you to play detective and find the thief. It would be a complex subgame, but not something you can just brush over.

As to Fallout; why don't you guys just wait until you have some actual information to bitch about? Ahh, but I guess this little vendetta is just too much fun, huh?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Cimmerian Nights said:
Chefe said:
Fallout 3 is gonna be awesome.

We're all looking forward to the Flatout 3 comic.

It's just not going to be the same. The fanboys are us this time around. Sure, they'll be endless vicious and petty attacks on Beth, but no one will come here and flame us for it.

Whipporowill

Erudite
67949029_7741cdad28_o.jpg

OMG! Someone set us up the bomb.

Uh, dudes... you bought that bomb, remember?

Thrawn05

Scholar
Whipporowill said:
Thrawn05 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let loose the dogs of war!

You know what's sad? That one's so old it's silly. I think we did that back in early 05 or something. Just waiting for the future to catch up with the present...

I know, I was still a lurker (the seeds of hate were growing in me at the time). :D

Araanor

Liturgist
GhanBuriGhan said:
As to Fallout; why don't you guys just wait until you have some actual information to bitch about? Ahh, but I guess this little vendetta is just too much fun, huh?
No information *is* information. Oh, they've given hints. But not the right kinds of hints. If they were going for what we wanted, they could've easily appeased us. A bit, at least.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
I agree. I told these people many times that you can't judge a game until you've played it, and even then you can't be 100% sure, so you better wait for a professional review, but do they listen? *sigh*

LlamaGod

Cipher
If you want to make this into a gameplay component, you have to make the stealing NPC leave traces of his activity, you have to program mechanics that allow you to play detective and find the thief.

its pretty disappointing that an MMORPG (Ultima Online) has this, but an EPIC VAST IMMERSIVE single player game doesnt.

elander_

Arbiter
GhanBuriGhan said:

Thats what the Elderscrolls forum is for. For people to blab and mindless salivate over a game they never played. :wink:

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
If you want to make this into a gameplay component, you have to make the stealing NPC leave traces of his activity, you have to program mechanics that allow you to play detective and find the thief.

its pretty disappointing that an MMORPG (Ultima Online) has this, but an EPIC VAST IMMERSIVE single player game doesnt.
Yeah, being flagged and turning grey for two minutes is a great gameplay feature. Plus, is there even burglary in UO? Obviously it would take a little more work than that, huh? Plus, name the cool single player RPG's with this feature?

_elander - with the codex doing the exact opposite and not being any less moronic in the course of it? Yeah, no shortage of retards on the internet, I agree.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Plus, is there even burglary in UO?

Yes. You can enter people's homes and try to burglarize their stuff.

If another player has Tracking and Forensic Evaluation (I think thats what its called) skills, they can inspect the chest and get the name of the robber, and then follow their tracks and hunt them down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom