Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines on Fallout 3

kris

Arcane
From dictionary.com:

Guild
- An association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards.
- A similar association, as of merchants or artisans, in medieval times.

Faction
- A group of persons forming a cohesive, usually contentious minority within a larger group.
- Conflict within an organization or nation; internal dissension: “Our own beloved country... is now afflicted with faction and civil war” (Abraham Lincoln).
- n 1: a clique (often secret) that seeks power usually through intrigue [syn: cabal, junto, camarilla] 2: a dissenting clique [syn: sect]

i would have to agree with Bruce.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Wow! Dikshunary definitions FTW!!

No. You don't seem to comprehend the difference between a fluff organization and a guild in TES games. The central purpose of the guilds in TES was to give you quests. The central purpose of the BOS, was to enhance the setting. You could get quests from individual brothers, of course, but all of the Quests that the Elders give you are plot-based.

Unless you are going to tell me that The Hub, Vault 13, etc. are all guilds in Fallout?

bryce777

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Wow! Dikshunary definitions FTW!!

No. You don't seem to comprehend the difference between a fluff organization and a guild in TES games. The central purpose of the guilds in TES was to give you quests. The central purpose of the BOS, was to enhance the setting. You could get quests from individual brothers, of course, but all of the Quests that the Elders give you are plot-based.

Unless you are going to tell me that The Hub, Vault 13, etc. are all guilds in Fallout?

Well, I am not talking about tes per se. In daggerfall the guilds were generic and the quests were, but it was procedurally generated which was nice.

I just find it riduculous in so many games every city has a thieves' guild, a mage's guild etc. etc. where you train up, buy things, maybe get quests blah blah. It makes even less sense in the fallout world than other places.

There is no brotherhood of steel profession, though. Calling it a guild is just bizarre crazy talk that I can't even comprehend. Like you said it would be like saying the mutants are a guild. Also the purpose they serve is mostly to advance the plot - one common theme is guilds NEVER advance the plot. Oh, they have a level 2 million wizard on call 24/7 to train you, but they have never even heard of the evil whatsit plaguing the land.

Drakron

Arcane
BOS was a closed organization devoted to recover of pre-war technology.

Its was not something open to everyone (except in Tactics but the east branch became rather diferent that the original organization) and not having the type of "services" as TES guilds have.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
you're defining "guilds" as morrowind's use of them. (IE if they're not obvious and feel like completely manufactured quest mills -- its not a guild) that's a design issue. Like I said, as far as the game world is concerned, THE BOS IS A GUILD.

"- An association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards."

Thanks Kris.

You could also say the Rangers, the Followers of the Apocalypsewere all guilds in the FO world, too. Just because Tim Cain & Co. didn't design the game so that you could go to Cabot and say "I Killed Foozle and brought you teh skroll. Plz give me new quest." Doesn't mean they weren't.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
bryce777 said:
There is no brotherhood of steel profession, though. Calling it a guild is just bizarre crazy talk that I can't even comprehend.
Just because you can't comprehend it doesn't make it untrue. It just makes you an idiot.
Like you said it would be like saying the mutants are a guild.
No its not. You could call the mutant army a guild of sorts. But they had human collaborators, in case you forgot, and not all mutants in the FO world were part of it by FO2.
Also the purpose they serve is mostly to advance the plot - one common theme is guilds NEVER advance the plot. Oh, they have a level 2 million wizard on call 24/7 to train you, but they have never even heard of the evil whatsit plaguing the land.
That's a design issue and that's why guilds in Morrowind are so fucking boring. Had Timmy C and company had the technical means/expertise/inclination to make the BOS and other in game world groups more organic and "playable" (as seems to be your determining factor for "guilds") they probably would have. You did have a few quests for the BOS. You did become an initiate. In FO2 you got yourself a ranger badge. etc.

I don't see why you're having such a hard time comprehending. You need to break the association of GUILD = FANTASY and evaluate the word for what it is.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Killzig, you're hardly one to accuse others of incomprehension. It doesn't matter what guilds really are in the real world because we aren't talking about literal guilds, we're talking about guilds as a game mechanic in the way of Morrowind.
"- An association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards."
Like I said to the tard before, "OMG DIKSHUNARY DEFINISHINS FTW." The literal definition isn't relevant because that's not what we're talking about, it's a genre moniker for a game mechanic.
You might want to look up Non-Sequitur

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
kingcomrade said:
Killzig, you're hardly one to accuse others of incomprehension. It doesn't matter what guilds really are in the real world because we aren't talking about literal guilds, we're talking about guilds as a game mechanic in the way of Morrowind.
Like I said to the tard before, "OMG DIKSHUNARY DEFINISHINS FTW." The literal definition isn't relevant because that's not what we're talking about, it's a genre moniker for a game mechanic.
I know what it is. But by limiting yourself to it as a game mechanic and defining the game mechanic so rigidly you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Why can't guilds be used to both add atmosphere as in Fallout AND let players participate in their functions and give them a sense of accomplishment and belonging by raising them in rank/rewarding them for participating? Is that really THAT difficult to understand? I think the bottom line is this, the problem with BethSoft is that they define guild as rigidly as you and Bryce do thus in the end we're left with uninspiring results.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I never said they couldn't. "guilds" as in associations are in pretty much every single game ever. But we are talking about Bethesda Softworks and their game TES5: Fallout. Of course the bottom line is BethSoft, that's what we've been talking about the whole time, dipstick. :roll:

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
so you two fags are just going back and stating the obvious between each other. That's great. Let me know next time you want to chase your tails for a couple of hours so that I'm not mistakenly thinking that I'm joining a "discussion" ..

bryce777

Erudite
Killzig said:
bryce777 said:
There is no brotherhood of steel profession, though. Calling it a guild is just bizarre crazy talk that I can't even comprehend.
Just because you can't comprehend it doesn't make it untrue. It just makes you an idiot.
Like you said it would be like saying the mutants are a guild.
No its not. You could call the mutant army a guild of sorts. But they had human collaborators, in case you forgot, and not all mutants in the FO world were part of it by FO2.
Also the purpose they serve is mostly to advance the plot - one common theme is guilds NEVER advance the plot. Oh, they have a level 2 million wizard on call 24/7 to train you, but they have never even heard of the evil whatsit plaguing the land.
That's a design issue and that's why guilds in Morrowind are so fucking boring. Had Timmy C and company had the technical means/expertise/inclination to make the BOS and other in game world groups more organic and "playable" (as seems to be your determining factor for "guilds") they probably would have. You did have a few quests for the BOS. You did become an initiate. In FO2 you got yourself a ranger badge. etc.

I don't see why you're having such a hard time comprehending. You need to break the association of GUILD = FANTASY and evaluate the word for what it is.

The word itself has nothing to do with what you are saying. You are making no sense at all.

bryce777

Erudite
kingcomrade said:

You have decided to use morrowind, not everyone else. reason 2 million and 22 you are an idiot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom