Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines on Fallout 3 - again, again and again

xuerebx

Erudite
@Jedi_Learner:

I'm probably older than you, and that next bit is so subjective. But of course, you're right and the millions of people who are still gaming and loving the new games are wrong.

Don't you see that there are still people who love how gaming is now a days, and that new people are joining the gaming community. Sure, on the internet, on certain forums, everyone may say one thing, and on other forums they may say the complete opposite, as I'm noticing.

You're not right, neither am I. It's subjective, depending on how you see things. And don't resort to petty name calling if you're not mature enough to have a discussion.

xuerebx said:
You're not right, neither am I.

Ah relativism....the backbone for those without one.

It's subjective, depending on how you see things. And don't resort to petty name calling if you're not mature enough to have a discussion.

Serious post:

Kinda hard to have a discussion with someone who loves to fling around insults and talk down to people saying "you're stuck in the past", eh? But hey double standards are okay under relativism, eh?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
xuerebx said:
The combat was very slow and tedious, put me off the game.
You do know that you can speed up the combat animations in the options? Answer this question carefully.

xuerebx

Erudite
Yes I know you can speed up combat. But I wanted a different approach to combat, as in the whole thing behind it. Kinda like Baldur's gate, or maybe something different. It's not because it's turn based, one of my favourite games is Disciples II, but the combat felt different in FO1/2, and slow, even if you could speed it up.

And Edward stop with relativism, what do you want me to say, "I'm right you're not" =/

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's called an argument.

And no, "I'm so in love with a game that's not even out yet" doesn't count.

xuerebx

Erudite
It's looking good though, I'm looking forward to it. Not that there's any other games to look forward to, apart from Disciples III and Dragon Age, which won't even be out this year. Oh and The Witcher EE.

xuerebx said:
And Edward stop with relativism, what do you want me to say, "I'm right you're not" =/

No, what I want you to realize is that relativism is a pretty silly way to look at things because it's a philosophy pretty much based on making everyone in a pluralist society able to happily accept each other's beliefs for some social cohesion type stuff. And it's a crutch for people who either can't argue, or can't accept the fact they might have less than stellar taste (s). How easy is it to just say in an argument "Everyone's right and nobody is wrong because it's all opinions."? And nobody wants to be wrong, or have bad taste, so they just say "It's all relative!".

Maybe if you actually investigated some of the critiques against Bethesda's Fallout 3 you'd understand we don't like it because it is "old" in everything but graphics. We have rehashed gimmicks, C-grade shooter gameplay that wouldn't have held up well as a straight shooter 5 years ago, and terrible role-playing elements that wouldn't hold up a role-playing game in the time Fallout 1 was around. Add in Bethesda's butchery of the setting for cheap "humor" (if you can call it that) and poor writing and you have a recipe for a pretty "meh" game.

Thrasher

Erudite
Good summary!

These idiots that think first person graphics and realtime combat is what makes a game good should stick to shooters and stay away from RPGs.

Thrasher said:
These demigods that think first person graphics and realtime combat is what makes a game good should stick to amazing RPGs and stay away from pure shooters.

fixed for
2lqmqg.gif

Mech

Cipher
Wow this thread is so full of fail. You all should be ashamed. :lol:

Thrasher

Erudite
petition for dumbfuck tag for sportforredneck
sign here

Monolith

Prophet
Why did that fucker have to troll in my thread? Now I feel urged to reply. Seriously, you want a mature discussion? Then stop being a naive, ignorant and whiny bitch.

First of all, we're here to discuss and having this free speech forum here, things can get ugly. Deal with it or get the fuck out. Obviously you're used to forums where people share your opinions, or your relativism. Either way, it's different here, so you either have to present something to back up your opinion - or get the fuck out. And no, "Everybody and his dog is entitled to have an opinion" doesn't count.

Then, you seem to really think and be fond of the thought that we like/hate games out of nostalgia. I'm not old enough to be nostalgic about anything. The first time I played most of the old classics they have already been old. Still, I prefer these games to most released, say, post 2001. Games back then had different things going for them and it's not such a huge leap in logic to assume that this is exactly what we like about them. You've got to be close minded as fuck to be unable to acknowledge that simple fact. I know one thing for sure - I don't play a game for 60 hours because I feel nostalgic about it, but because it keeps me glued to the keyboard. And I don't shove off games to ebay, selling them for half of what I paid just because I don't feel nostalgic about it. Now, let's ignore the fact that I haven't played a 60 hours long game for ages and that I haven't bought many recent games for a variety of reasons. This fact remains: I don't play games to be thrown back in time - I play to be entertained. And the pleasure I get out of a game isn't bound to visual requirements which rise with every new game that's being released. While I need a certain minimum, I need more than just that. And most games nowadays don't have that little extra, so in my opinion, they are shit. And from all I've seen, Fallout 3 is just that - while Fallout is not.

Last but not least, hardly anybody will take you seriously if you keep on spewing bullshit like "I accept how games evolved, and that they're appealing for more people, unlike the past when video games were frowned upon.". There's nothing wrong with games appealing to more people. But there's something wrong if every games has to appeal to everybody. And there's something absolutely wrong if a game of a certain series doesn't appeal to the fans of the series. Or: "Don't you see that there are still people who love how gaming is now a days, and that new people are joining the gaming community. Sure, on the internet, on certain forums, everyone may say one thing, and on other forums they may say the complete opposite, as I'm noticing." Is that like some reviewers do, hype a game now and proclaim it's perfect, just to criticize certain aspects two years later when it doesn't hurt sales anymore - 'cause all those new kids on the block wouldn't ever go back to those ugly, old and unplayable games without having their precious eyes burned out.

Whatever. Get the fuck out.

xuerebx

Erudite
Edward_R_Murrow said:
xuerebx said:

No, what I want you to realize is that relativism is a pretty silly way to look at things because it's a philosophy pretty much based on making everyone in a pluralist society able to happily accept each other's beliefs for some social cohesion type stuff. And it's a crutch for people who either can't argue, or can't accept the fact they might have less than stellar taste (s). How easy is it to just say in an argument "Everyone's right and nobody is wrong because it's all opinions."? And nobody wants to be wrong, or have bad taste, so they just say "It's all relative!".

Maybe if you actually investigated some of the critiques against Bethesda's Fallout 3 you'd understand we don't like it because it is "old" in everything but graphics. We have rehashed gimmicks, C-grade shooter gameplay that wouldn't have held up well as a straight shooter 5 years ago, and terrible role-playing elements that wouldn't hold up a role-playing game in the time Fallout 1 was around. Add in Bethesda's butchery of the setting for cheap "humor" (if you can call it that) and poor writing and you have a recipe for a pretty "meh" game.

I see. Cheers for the reply. Why do I have the "none of us are right" attitude? Well because why should I say "I'm right" and give my reasons, when you're going to tell me "No you're wrong" and give your reasons. For example, I'm liking FO3, and you're not because of your reasons. But I'm definitely not going to say that you're right, as I don't agree with some of your reasons. Yes I realise quite a number of games are different now, and some of them I don't like. But I like the way this game is shaping up. It would be elitist of me to say "I'm right and I you're not". Anyway, this game is far from perfect, and I got some things which I don't like about it, but as a whole, I'm liking it. My opinion may change after I play it, but for the time being it won't. As for some of the reasons, I love the post apocalyptic environment, just like STALKER's environment for example. I'm liking VATs, seeing as it's different from the usual type of combat. No, graphics aren't that important, they are important, but not *that* important. Besides, this game doesn't have spectacular graphics, it's got just decent graphics.

Monolith said:
Why did that fucker have to troll in my thread? Now I feel urged to reply. Seriously, you want a mature discussion? Then stop being a naive, ignorant and whiny bitch.

First of all, we're here to discuss and having this free speech forum here, things can get ugly. Deal with it or get the fuck out. Obviously you're used to forums where people share your opinions, or your relativism. Either way, it's different here, so you either have to present something to back up your opinion - or get the fuck out. And no, "Everybody and his dog is entitled to have an opinion" doesn't count.

Then, you seem to really think and be fond of the thought that we like/hate games out of nostalgia. I'm not old enough to be nostalgic about anything. The first time I played most of the old classics they have already been old. Still, I prefer these games to most released, say, post 2001. Games back then had different things going for them and it's not such a huge leap in logic to assume that this is exactly what we like about them. You've got to be close minded as fuck to be unable to acknowledge that simple fact. I know one thing for sure - I don't play a game for 60 hours because I feel nostalgic about it, but because it keeps me glued to the keyboard. And I don't shove off games to ebay, selling them for half of what I paid just because I don't feel nostalgic about it. Now, let's ignore the fact that I haven't played a 60 hours long game for ages and that I haven't bought many recent games for a variety of reasons. This fact remains: I don't play games to be thrown back in time - I play to be entertained. And the pleasure I get out of a game isn't bound to visual requirements which rise with every new game that's being released. While I need a certain minimum, I need more than just that. And most games nowadays don't have that little extra, so in my opinion, they are shit. And from all I've seen, Fallout 3 is just that - while Fallout is not.

Last but not least, hardly anybody will take you seriously if you keep on spewing bullshit like "I accept how games evolved, and that they're appealing for more people, unlike the past when video games were frowned upon.". There's nothing wrong with games appealing to more people. But there's something wrong if every games has to appeal to everybody. And there's something absolutely wrong if a game of a certain series doesn't appeal to the fans of the series. Or: "Don't you see that there are still people who love how gaming is now a days, and that new people are joining the gaming community. Sure, on the internet, on certain forums, everyone may say one thing, and on other forums they may say the complete opposite, as I'm noticing." Is that like some reviewers do, hype a game now and proclaim it's perfect, just to criticize certain aspects two years later when it doesn't hurt sales anymore - 'cause all those new kids on the block wouldn't ever go back to those ugly, old and unplayable games without having their precious eyes burned out.

Whatever. Get the fuck out.

I get your point. I'm not getting the fuck out anyway, no need to add that fucking line, at least now I read your opinion, and it wasn't filled with "fucker" "idiot" and other crap. Not that I agree with everything, some points I do agree with though.

But answer me this, how can you say that you're right, when someone else has a totally different opinion and think he's right? That's the sole reason for my atittude. I'm not going to act all big and say I'm right etc. Someone else has got a different opinion, fine with me, it's not going to influence my opinion.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I can't believe it, the game isn't even out yet and the invasion has already begun.

Defcom 1 - take no prisoners.

xuerebx

Erudite
Anyway, cba arguing now, I said what I wanted to say. I just read some previews since there was that convention today, game's looking good. Hopefully it will be good. Else I don't have anything to play :(

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
fastpunk said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
I can't believe it, the game isn't even out yet and the invasion has already begun.

It's just one person for fuck's sake! :lol:
The D-day also started from one man.

Monolith

Prophet
xuerebx said:
But answer me this, how can you say that you're right, when someone else has a totally different opinion and think he's right? That's the sole reason for my atittude. I'm not going to act all big and say I'm right etc. Someone else has got a different opinion, fine with me, it's not going to influence my opinion.
It's not so much about being right, as it's about respecting the other's opinion. I can't respect yours because you have yet to back it up with anything reasonable. There are a lot of people here I disagree with but I can easily respect their opinion because I know there's thought behind it.

xuerebx

Erudite
Well it's all about what I find fun actually. If I find a game which is fun, doesn't matter it's genre, then I'll play it, because it feels fun to play and I enjoy playing it. There isn't one sole reason, you either like a game or you don't. As I said, I like the post apocalyptic setting, and an open ended world. Sure there are other reasons, but those 2 would be the main thing why I'm looking forward to the game. There are games which aren't anything special yet you have fun playing them. Heh when I was a kid, about 14-15 years of age, I *loved* playing pokemon. Now that game had nothing spectacular, and it was actually doing the same thing over and over, but why did I like it? god knows why, but I just liked playing it. Know what I mean? That *thing* which attracts you towards a game.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
You see we would in these games something more than just casual fun. Joy identified by us as coming from few aspects that Fallout 3 does not possess.
And the elitist urges we are experiencing tell us that Fallout 3 is not worthy of it's glorious name. It's like J.K. Rowling writing the fourth LotR book about a young orphan hobbit finding a magical world beyond the Shire where he learns how to defeat Sauron risen from the grave, who killed his parents.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Unradscorpion said:
You see we would in these games something more than just casual fun. Joy identified by us as coming from few aspects that Fallout 3 does not possess.
And the elitist urges we are experiencing tell us that Fallout 3 is not worthy of it's glorious name. It's like J.K. Rowling writing the fourth LotR book about a young orphan hobbit finding a magical world beyond the Shire where he learns how to defeat Sauron risen from the grave, who killed his parents.

Wut?

xuerebx

Erudite
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a movie about that, with the current trend of movies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom