Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 4 Golden - out on Steam

Ivan

Arcane
I'm loving my time with this. I feel the character work is much better here than in 5 which feels bloated and formulaic by comparison. It's still early days, Kanji just joined the party and he's already my favorite character.

cruel

Cipher
I'm loving my time with this. I feel the character work is much better here than in 5 which feels bloated and formulaic by comparison. It's still early days, Kanji just joined the party and he's already my favorite character.

P4G is a much better game than P5, mostly because of what you've mentioned - the characters / cast. For a game that puts so much focus on social links etc., they did a pretty bad job with cast in P5, while cast in P4G is probably one of the best ever, if not the best. Kanji is great as well, enjoy the ride.

For me, P4G and Dark Souls are the two best games I played in last 10-15 years.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
imo it helps a lot that the town is some bumville, nowhere instead of the cumbersome tokyo which had you hop on the train all the time

Duraframe300

Arcane

P4G is a much better game than P5, mostly because of what you've mentioned - the characters / cast. For a game that puts so much focus on social links etc., they did a pretty bad job with cast in P5, while cast in P4G is probably one of the best ever, if not the best. Kanji is great as well, enjoy the ride.

It also doesn‘t feature 17‘000 plot twists that are each dumber and more telegraphed than the last.

P5 felt like a lot of the plot ideas in P4 and P3 dialed up to a ridiculous degree and is worse off for it.

Ivan

Arcane
did these motherfuckers do this deliberately? just change one letter of the name and BAM new character?

YOUS-KAY

YAOS-KAY

gn73zslewwi61.jpg

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

I'm currently playing P4G for the first time and while I can't comment on the full game yet as I'm just in September I have to disagree here. Even if we assume that the characters are much better (which I'm not sure yet), the dungeon crawling of P4G is so much worse than in P5R that P4G cannot be better. Also, according to google P4G has 24 social links vs. P5R's 21 confidants. To me both feel bloated in this regard and I could have done with half the number in both games, but I don't see how P5R is worse here.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
P5R also uses the same cool Kaneko demons designs for its enemies as its personas. Instead of the bland generic shadow enemies used in 3 and 4. Like kitchen table and Mr. Pringles. It has a far superior presentation.
2xNrjjl.jpg

vs
RaSTfbm.jpg

But yeah the writing and the cast is atrocious. Think of the most boring social links in 3 & 4: Ayane, Naoki, Yukiko, the gourmet king. That's how most confidants in 5 play out. Dull one-on-one conversations that go nowhere and have no interactions with the rest of the cast.

The main plot actually started super interesting. A former olympian athlete who ends up in charge of the volleyball team and beats the shit out of the students. Cool villain... and then you have pointless plot twists and everything goes to shit.

Ivan

Arcane
@ Rise dungeon

Getting my ass kicked. Thinking of lowering the difficulty down to Easy so as to avoid having to grind for levels. I love the non-dungeon crawling aspects of the game, but the combat feels like a chore (rock paper scissors or get 1 shotted).

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
@ Rise dungeon

Getting my ass kicked. Thinking of lowering the difficulty down to Easy so as to avoid having to grind for levels. I love the non-dungeon crawling aspects of the game, but the combat feels like a chore (rock paper scissors or get 1 shotted).
You can also just increase the exp you gain while keeping everything the same by using "custom" as difficulty. That way you don't have to grind.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
If your party gets 1 shotted in random encounters then you are probably very underleveled
If vs bosses use buffs/debuffs
Also buying the most recent equipment should help

Also its on sale

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
DO I know anyone with a fishing rod?....
There's and old man on the floodplains down at the river who will give you a fishing rod if you bring him a fishhook. To get this, you'll need a Tatsuhime Ladybug. You can either get this from the bug catching kid at the shrine if you give him a soda or catch it yourself. If you're too far in the game, the quest will not be available and you have to catch the bug. Once you have it visit the pub in the Central Shopping District at night and talk to the lady. Hand over the bug and you'll get the fishing hook.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
I finished this (true ending) about a week ago after about 65 hours. It's a mixed bag. While the day sim part of the gameplay is enjoyable, the dungeon crawling is tedious, due to the generic dungeons, boring enemy design and the simplistic combat. Enemies are also very spongy which makes everything take forever, especially boss fights. The story was enjoyable, but the killer's (Adachi's) motivation didn't convince me. The reveal of the true mastermind in the true ending also seems very constructed. I liked the party members with the exception of Teddy who manages to be even more annoying than Morgana in Persona 5. Some of the social links were great (Dojima, Nanoko, Naoto, Kanji) while most were just meh and Marie was straight out terrible. I strongly disliked the fishing mini game and hated that I was forced to do it to level the fox. I also liked shuffle time as it is much more straightforward than the negotiations.
All in all, I award :3/5:. I think that your opinion of the game strongly depends on how much you like the social links. The game is much more light-hearted than Persona 5 which I don't mind. I could have done with less comical relief and pervy characters, though.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur

I just saved Naoto but can't laugh about Kanji anymore. Also why it seems easier to get social links from other party members? Rise Is later but faster, Teddy works only sometimes, Kanji never works.
Also Marie seems slower but she isn't in the party (yet).

BTW I haven't played with 5 but my cousin said that in 5 they are emo mysterious people but in 4 they are funny and more interesting. The 5 has better dungeons he said.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's sad in P4 that the dungeons are just an elaborate slot machine, amazing game otherwise.

turkishronin

Arcane

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I feel the game did teach me a harsh lesson, I went with Rise and it played out as "Yes, well done, you've bagged the popular girl. Now you have to listen to her talk about herself endlessly as you slowly die inside."

Occasionally she will throw you a bone saying how special you are at that specific point in time but she always makes it clear that you are completely disposable to her.

Chie is far and beyond the best girl. Fuck Rise. Marry Chie. Kill Yukiko.

vota DC

Augur
but the killer's (Adachi's) motivation didn't convince me
The real killer was supposed to be Yukiko but the idea was scrapped later on because dev team thought players won't like the idea of losing a party member for final fight. That's why the ending seems weird.
The killer has always been Tanaka. He even has the final boss music every time he sell something on TV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom