Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 4 Golden - out on Steam

dacencora

Meh, they’re about equal. Equally cringey. The games would be much better without them.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You gotta have a cute mascot character but yes both are kind of shit characters. Teddie is annoying and Morgana is a retard. I actually liked Marie. 2nd best girl in p4. Her poetry is shit though.

dacencora

I know that overall it was a little tropey (it’s Persona lol), but the “so this is how humans do things” from both Teddie and Marie was way too much tbh.

I never got that vibe at all. I think you have an inner fudanshi that's rising to the surface
Maybe. It was a few days back so I don't remember exactly how it went but I've got the vague memory of it seeming like that. Met up with the same two later and got the same impression again though. The game's already shown that the universe revolves around me since party members can be KO'd and revived during fights fine but as soon as the PC's whacked it's game over, so I can only assume that everyone in the universe is scheming for my dick.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I never got that vibe at all. I think you have an inner fudanshi that's rising to the surface
Maybe. It was a few days back so I don't remember exactly how it went but I've got the vague memory of it seeming like that. Met up with the same two later and got the same impression again though. The game's already shown that the universe revolves around me since party members can be KO'd and revived during fights fine but as soon as the PC's whacked it's game over, so I can only assume that everyone in the universe is scheming for my dick.
Game over if the MC dies is standard in Shin Megami Tensei and a lot of other jrpgs if you weren't aware of that. There is one particular party member who is quite shamelessly scheming for your dick though and that's one of the many reasons she's best girl

Duraframe300

Arcane
I know that overall it was a little tropey (it’s Persona lol), but the “so this is how humans do things” from both Teddie and Marie was way too much tbh.

That's why P3 is awesome since it has Aegis.
Aegis arguably wan't the P3 equivalent party member. The dog was.

Though he didn't speak, so you could make an argument its a combination of the two.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Picking this back up in the middle of a playthrough after a year of absence was brutal. No idea what my plans for my personas were, I just started filling out the compendium and sticking with the most stacked ones. I'm like in October now and feeling back in the rhythm again. My thoughts so far:

what I like:

- Nanako (imagine if Westoids knew how to do Stoicism)
- more than 1 girlfriend possible (complete with getting caught and worming your way back into their graces mechanics)
- Soundtrack
- writing
- tarot cards theme, I wish it was even more pervasive (like pumping your SLink would influence what cards you get during shuffle time)
- encounter design with the way immunities are handled creates small puzzles even when enemies are underpowered. Much more enjoyable than something like Pillars of Eternity 1 on PotD.

what I don't like:

- Yosuke (so unmanly (up until SLink rank 9-10))
- nomenclature (calling something matahakunamatata isn't cool or interesting, when it's just an 'ol "atk down for all enemies")
- windows prompts for everything
- menu/inventory is stylish, but cumbersome

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Probably not, just Persona now officially on XBOX environment as for the longest time it is PS Exclusive.

Ivan

Arcane
Persona 4 progress report
-goddamn this is gonna bug me. the new boy compa is named Yosuke, almost the same as one of my favorites from P5, Yusuke...
-gaining attribute points no longer takes you to that annoying separate screen each time, major improvement

Ivan

Arcane
Going from P5 to P4:

I'm loving the small-town scale this game has. Not that you had to do much backtracking in 5, but I'm a sucker for these more intimate, smaller, slice of life settings. It reminds me of Okinawa from Yakuza 3, or Onomich from Yakuza 6. Also, P4 gets the heart, its characters, and the story to you much faster. I find the overarching plot a lot more engaging. You want to know who the next target will be and see if you can save them. 5's "villains" really lacked that motivating hook after the initial gym teacher.

Also, the soundtrack rocks, and I love how the social links don't just feature you and the other character, often they intersperse other characters in there, making the town really feel like a small town (Deadly Premonition-ish/Twin Peaksy).

The combat is still my least favorite part of the game, but I don't mind putting on a podcast and grinding here and there so I can get to my fav bits (new music, more story/character work).

SexExitium

Augur
how's the cutscene to gameplay ratio in these games? people are always recommending them to me, but the same people praised the yakuza games and I found those insufferable because of the endless expository dialogue

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
how's the cutscene to gameplay ratio in these games? people are always recommending them to me, but the same people praised the yakuza games and I found those insufferable because of the endless expository dialogue
talky parts are endlessly talky but dungeons are almost fully bereft of that
it's two games in one really, the dating sim part is prob the most demanding planning-wise from between the three nu-personas

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Way too much dialogue.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Expect around 1 to 2 hours of cutscene and railroading before you're even allowed to save.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Expect around 1 to 2 hours of cutscene and railroading before you're even allowed to save.
I must admit it's very similar in the Trails series that I otherwise like a lot, and I actually timed Sky1 - it takes around 40 minutes to save :-D
Strange Journey is marginally better, around 25 minutes

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
2 hours of cutscenes for every hour of gameplay if you read fast and skip a lot of dialogue.

MasPingon

Arcane
2 hours of cutscenes for every hour of gameplay if you read fast and skip a lot of dialogue.
So now dialog is cutscene? At least unlike Persona 5, dialogs are fun and you got a dialog choice often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom