Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper PC Gamer's 25 Best RPG's of All Time list, 2014

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I find it amusing that ME2 - the worst of the three - is the one included on the list.

Be prepared for a shitsorm. I got told several thousand times how ME2 was better than 1 despite the complete dumb-down (Which I didn't think possible but they proved me wrong with heat ammo lolololol, shittier retconned story and no Mako) and completely ludicrous premise even on the Dex where there's normally at least a little sense.

Repressed Homosexual
They might as well take all the pre-2000 issues of PC Gamer and a picture of all their old editors, and defecate on all of them.

This is atrocious, it USED to be a great magazine with good taste whose reviews you could trust, now it's just full of Red Bull drinking hipster kids who don't know jack squat.

The older top game lists are ones which would have received Codex approvals, but of course all those editors with actual discipline and credentials have moved on to greener pastures and better industries rather than the quagmire that is the modern gaming industry.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Hey I actually finished 13 of those, more than half.
And from the ones I did not finish (or play), I would like to get around to, one day:

Baldur's Gate 2
Divinity Original Sin
Anachronox
South Park

I already own the first three, and SP will be on sale soon. Now just to get a time machine, be able to freeze time, and I might afford to play these.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Also: Attention fuckwit gaming "journalists":

System Shock 2 IS NOT AN RPG!!

It's one of the best games ever created but to call it an RPG is just silly. It's a First Person Shooter for fucks sake.
I don't know, putting SS2 on a list about best first-person shooters ever would be equally silly, because as a shooter it isn't much better than it is as an RPG. Same applies to Deus Ex as well. Both games could be somewhere near the very top on a "best games ever" list, but rating them as great RPGs or great shooters feels kind of wrong because there are a billion games that have deeper RPG mechanics or better first-person shooting. Should they just be left out of these lists entirely? I don't think so. These lists aren't really about finding the answer to "what is an RPG?" but first and foremost about recommending great games to people, and I don't think there's any harm done in including SS2 there when "RPG" is, after all, a part of its genre description. It did make the Codex' list as well as far as I remember, and pretty much for the same reasons.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
SS2 is not a first-person shooter, nor is Deus Ex. Both are action RPGs that can be played without firing a gun. In SS2 you have psionics and melee; in DEx you have demolitions, melee and stealth, all of which allow you to fully meet mission objectives, just in different ways than killing everyone.

Trivializing SS2 and Deus Ex as first-person shooters is reserved for the "none too bright".

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you could make it a list of the worst rpgs of all time by just removing 4 or 5 titles

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
2. BG 2

Shit GFX, limited system, DnD.

3. Fallout 2
Should be called duology.

4. Dork Soles: Walk them boots edition

I'm not sure if Dark Souls is RPG, but Dark Soul is excellent, and it has decent RPG system, stats, and weapon feels different.

5. Mehtoo

Not RPG.

6. Skyrimjob
Level scaled shit.
7. Deus Ex
Not RPG. (It's FPS.)
8. Ultima VII
Too old to mention it, also they didn't re-release it as noncommercial freeware, thus who cares.
9. System Shock 2
Not RPG. (It's FPS.)
10. Twitcher 2
Witcher 1 has heart. W2 felt forced.
11. DaaaOh

Why is it so high? Wasn't Sudeki better?

18. Gothic 2
It should be called Gothic duology (possibly trilogy but G3 was weak spot of the trilogy)
19. M&B: Warband
Not a RPG. It's a knight game made of two Turkeys who LOVED horse combat and that mercenary live and stuff like that.

21. Torchlight 2
hahaha
22. Legend of Grimrock
Kickstarter-like games on 22 place? Like there isn't something better.
23. Anachronox
Outdated.
24. Dungeons of Dredmore
Vomit.
25. South Park: Stick of Truth
Well Cartman vulgarism was funny. I'm not sure there isn't 40 better RPGs however.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you forgot to mention how crap plainscape is, and lol at "too old to mention it" in response to quite possibly the best rpg of all time .

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
That's edgy.
That game I didn't mention has right to be in top 150 for effort they spend on dialogues.

Kinda winder why they didn't mention games like:
Demonicon
River of the Time
Mars: War logs
or perhaps even E.Y.E. : DC instead of Deus Ex
Sudeki

BTW I found 15 entries long version of this list published on different site. Thus it looks like he grabbed it, added few it's own to expand it to 25 entries and published it.
Strangely that 15 entries version had Arcanum as one of it's entries.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
You could dismiss Torchlight 2 as “just another Diablo clone,” but that’s missing the point of Runic’s action RPG.

And that would be ?

But mostly, we love the dog and cat companions: every action RPG needs a pet that fights for you and sells your junk loot.
'K, thx, bye.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom