Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper PC Gamer's 25 Best RPG's of All Time list, 2014

Shannow

Waster of Time
1. PS:T
2. BG 2
3. Fallout 2
4. Dork Soles: Walk them boots edition
5. Mehtoo
6. Skyrimjob
7. Deus Ex
8. Ultima VII
9. System Shock 2
10. Twitcher 2
11. DaaaOh
12. New Vegas
13. D3: Derper of Sales
14. Bloodlines
15. KotOR2
16. Div:OS
17. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
18. Gothic 2
19. M&B: Warband
20. Arx Fatalis
21. Torchlight 2
22. Legend of Grimrock
23. Anachronox
24. Dungeons of Dredmore
25. South Park: Stick of Truth

Discuss!

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Some obvious popamole dollarfails on that list, but I'm genuinely surprised at KOTOR2 being on there without KOTOR1. And I love Dredmor so that's a :bro:.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The inclusion of "let's sell a flash game at full retail price because people really are that stupid" South Park is a new low even for lists like these.

We have Kotor 2 instead of Kotor 1. We have New Vegas instead of Fallout 3. So all markers for a good taste are there, besides Morrowind versus Oblivion.(In which case they choose neither) It's pretty decent list for a mainstream game site. May it bring many players to the light side!

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Interesting list.

PCG defined the best as in what would be the best right now - which I then assume means you should be able to play them. Would love to see Ultima Underworld playable on modern PCs - but I don't think it is. Screen view is too small, however the auto-map was amazing and way ahead of its time. This was one of the greatest game EVER in the history of time and space. It was the only game that both my brother and I took turns to play it. We would even take our lunch or dinner upstairs and eat and watch the other play. Oh how I wish it was good enough technically to play now. By the way - my brother was a Doom/ Unreal nut and did not play any other RPGs.

A bit embarrassed with the high number of BioWare games near the top - in my opinion DAO was just complete pants of a game. I bought it - played it a bit, forced myself to play it a bit more, nearly killed myself, wished I could delete it off Steam. I do rate it highly however in my top 10 lists of games that made me vow never to trust magazine reviews. Take a look here and then puke in a bucket.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-origins/critic-reviews

I assume this was evidence of some type of mass hysteria - something similar to when Princess Diane died and she became the People's Princess?

Okay with Torchlight 2 being on the list - but I would add Titan Quest IT above it - that still plays well on modern PCs and I even think the graphics are better.

I love the music in TQ and the journey through different ages of our past mythology through the Greek, Egyptian and Chinese worlds. The game has quite a lot of length to it although the final bosses are a bit naff. A bunch of different classes that can be combined for you to try next time around.

Although old, SS2 can be played easily enough on modern PCs and has a decent story line with killer monkeys, killer robots, ghostly apparitions and zombie creatures that warn you to run away before they attack. I am quite happy with it being 9th place on the list even though not happy with many above it. Makes me think about the PC Gamer crew as even though it had SS2 on its top 100 games of all time, it disappeared from the last list I saw and now appears 9th on this list - what are they smoking?

Happy that Dungeons of Dred is on the list - random dungeons, it's funny, you can craft away, you can play as a Communist Vampire - and you have the Steam Workshop incorporated. You really don't have any idea what is behind any door, the graphics are simple and suitable.

So a decent list with many types of games, we have the Clickers, First Person Warriors, Team Players etc. Can someone just fix Ultima Underworld please? Maybe I try Arx next when I have time, apparently that is similar.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You can also notice the emerging trend of UU becoming the stock game that we didn't even play/like but will mention for streed cred.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Back in the late 90's and early 2000's every issue of PC Gamer (at least the British one) used to have a constantly updated top 5 list of PC games in every genre. You can say what you want about the magazine, but in retrospect, the games that made it to the lists were almost always (future) classics in one way or another. The top 3 seems almost unchanged from that (although I think Deus Ex had the first place at some point ahead of BG2 and FO2), but aside from that, they seem to have fallen pretty damn hard.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A bit embarrassed with the high number of BioWare games near the top - in my opinion DAO was just complete pants of a game. I bought it - played it a bit, forced myself to play it a bit more, nearly killed myself, wished I could delete it off Steam. I do rate it highly however in my top 10 lists of games that made me vow never to trust magazine reviews. Take a look here and then puke in a bucket.

You should check out this one. What a shitty site.

It's a pretty fun game imo. Worth a playthrough or two. :M

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

You should check out this one. What a shitty site.

It's a pretty fun game imo. Worth a playthrough or two. :M

Thanks for the link. Interesting read and then forum reaction. Reading that review did bring back some pretty bad memories for me.

I am afraid to say I just can't see how Bioware has managed to make a crap load of cash basically releasing the same game again and again. I am speaking as an owner of many BGs, two MEs, KoTR - I suppose I have answered my own question.

Recently giving Witcher a second chance as I read somewhere it is the proper sequel to the BGs, and I do seem to prefer it's style. Maybe because it is solo and there is no party management or that the story is entirely new to me.

One of the main problems I have in ME, KoTR and DAO is that for modern games, I just can't explain why the game engine does not allow me to cross a road or walk on a bit of grass - it really kills the illusion and sense of disbelief and then I come to understand you are only going along a bunch of tunnels set by the game designer - usually the same tunnels. There is no freedom, no choice, it's mundane follow this path to the end. If there was a way to play the game without having to jump into the main plot that would be amazing.

If they could just fix this thing or hide it better I would be able to get a return on my huge investment in Bioware games. For goodness sake even the Bioshocks did it better - so it is possible.

I try - I really do.

Harold

Arcane
Welcome to the modern era of console gaming - where every forest, plain, cave etc. is just a long corridor, preferably circling around, or with a second exit/entrance you inexplicably couldn't access before, all so the poor consoletard doesn't get lost while trying to backtrack on the linear path.

granit

Scholar
puts Diablo 3 in a "best of all time" list, does not get fired

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
South Park is p. fun as a game, and UTTERLY HILLARIOUS as a comedy. But as an RPG?

:decline:

Also: Attention fuckwit gaming "journalists":

System Shock 2 IS NOT AN RPG!!

It's one of the best games ever created but to call it an RPG is just silly. It's a First Person Shooter for fucks sake.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
We value fun more than the historical significance of a game, and doing so helps us build a list that recommends what’s great today rather than publishing a popularity contest
Funny, because that's exactly what that looks like to me. At least they didn't have the gall to call it top 25 CRPGs of all time. But still, Legend of two trick indy pony gets on the list but Wizardry 8 (or any other blobber/dungeon crawler, MMX if you want a modern game) is just too out dated to be considered to be fun anymore. Going around in circles and clicking attack is super fun and never gets old.

lurker3000

Arcane
I find it amusing that ME2 - the worst of the three - is the one included on the list.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You can smell from a mile away the top three games were token entries trying to please the core RPG audience based on their street cred alone. I wonder how many people that participated in making of the list even played them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom