Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer reviews Dragon Age

Shannow

Waster of Time
Matt7895 said:
Stereotypical Villain said:

They don't review games, they give them blowjobs.

Bloody hell, the Codex is stupid. If you really think the mags are paid to write good reviews, then surely it is the mags that are being given the blowjobs by the game companies, not the other way around.

Let's put this stupid "sucking Bioware/Bethesda's cock" myth to bed.
I know you're not the brightest bulb but you do know the concept of prostitution. Don't you?

MetalCraze

Arcane
About twelve hours in The top team(IE the one that died the least) in the tourney had around 150+ deaths/reloads.
And that's on normal difficulty? Haha my god even gamers today are such a goddamn failure. I had much much much much much much much much less when playing BG2 for the first time.

It's challenging in that you make a small mistake and you're dead.
Rushing is not a small mistake. Rushing is the most obvious and stupid mistake only people who see a RPG for the first time in their life will make. Nothing challenging there.

Rather keep hopes for the future than gaze morbidly on the past.
If DA is a future then there can be no hope.

What would be the perfect real time RPG combat system to you?
Real-time is best only when you control a single character (that's why combat lacks so hard in many single-player TB RPGs because most of the time they are turned into a TB clickfest) yet the best combat for party-based RPGs is turn-based. Simply because of how it plays it can make for a better tactical gameplay as there are some things you can do in TB that is a problem in RT like having a full in-depth control over many characters. TB lets for more micromanagement possibilities that would be annoying in real-time but will add to complexity in TB.
There are no good RT combat systems in party-based RPGs because of that as they must be very simple.

aries202

Erudite
There's a few points in the article that Tom Chick wrote that I don't like. The availability of elfroot via merchants, the quick way to get vials, the potions needed chugging in and - yes- the whole regeneration system after combat.

I liked it so much more when David Gaider those 4 years ago told us that there were no potions in this game, and no healing during combat, too. And that people being knocked unconscious in battle won't get up, untill the fight was (is) over - and when they did they would have lasting, persistent and maybe permanent injuries that wound't heal. Unless, you headed back to camp - after the fight.

I always liked the idea behind the origin stories, though. I still dislike the idea behind the main story
(building an army of allies to fight the Blight as well as the blight)

I like that at least some the review being published so far states that you will have to pause this game, even on easy to win some of the battles and that you will need a plan, a tactic or a strategy to win these battles.

MetalCraze said:
That's exactly why IE combat sucks. Except in BG you also had to think about what you are doing since you couldn't rest always. Here after each combat encounter everything regenerates just in a few seconds. And people call this crap "challenging"?

Most encounters in IE were made so to wear out the party instead of outright killing them (because there were others coming so sending a tired party to them was effective enough). If the party regenerates after each encounter in DA, I think it would be safe to assume each encounter has the potential to kill a full health party. A really optimistic person might think that it's even more "tactical".

Drag.age orgies has the fucking Exclamation marks on fucking NPCs

Look!

nnooooo.jpg

So that the player doesn't have to talk, take, examine or explore, lest he gets tired!

Yuuuhu!

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:

Look!

nnooooo.jpg

So that the player doesn't have to talk, take, examine or explore, lest he gets tired!

Yuuuhu!

Oh noes it breaks immershun :cry:

aries202

Erudite

Look!

nnooooo.jpg

Yuuuhu!

Yes, byt thankfully there's a toggle for that! You can just turn the 'show quest icon' off in the game's options menu.

aries202 said:

Look!

nnooooo.jpg

Yuuuhu!

Yes, byt thankfully there's a toggle for that! You can just turn the 'show quest icon' off in the game's options menu.

Yes i just heard, some bjeotch in the foruns saying it.

Thank the gods, ill sacrify two faggots for their benevolence. :shock:

Multi-headed Cow

The question is whether having a golden ! over your head is more annoying than mousing over all the "A drunkard" in the bar until you find "Faerlalyyphn Aertetuliu" and decide he is the one most likely to have a quest.

Multi-headed Cow said:
The question is whether having a golden ! over your head is more annoying than mousing over all the "A drunkard" in the bar until you find "Faerlalyyphn Aertetuliu" and decide he is the one most likely to have a quest.

Heh. Good name.

Well it's something already. In any case this shows ever so blatantly how hard Bioware are trying to make both the kinds of players happy... the tough and the wimps.

Will they succeed or is someone to be disgruntled?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Multi-headed Cow said:

Heh. Good name.

Well it's something already. In any case this shows ever so blatantly how hard Bioware are trying to make both the kinds of players happy... the tough and the wimps.

you'd have to have skyway levels of bitchiness to complain about an option to turn the arrow on or off.

Weresloth

Novice
MetalCraze said:
Real-time is best only when you control a single character (that's why combat lacks so hard in many single-player TB RPGs because most of the time they are turned into a TB clickfest) yet the best combat for party-based RPGs is turn-based. Simply because of how it plays it can make for a better tactical gameplay as there are some things you can do in TB that is a problem in RT like having a full in-depth control over many characters. TB lets for more micromanagement possibilities that would be annoying in real-time but will add to complexity in TB.
There are no good RT combat systems in party-based RPGs because of that as they must be very simple.

What kind of fast thinking under pressure do turn based games produce? Much less than real time games. There are great turn based games with high diffiiculty and non turn ased ones. More tactical does not make more difficult or better. On one hand you are thumbing your nose at game difficulty and on the other choosing a gaming system that is easier on the player. Turn based can still obviously be very tough but it takes the quick thinking aspect out of game play. Not every game is rpg chess.

roll-a-die

Magister
BROS THEIR WORKING ON THAT THEY ALREADY HAVE A DEVICE THAT SITS OUT SIDE THE THROAT AND WILL TAKE WHAT THE NERVES SAY TO THE LARYNX AND PUT THEM INTO MICRO$OFT BOB$ VOICE THEN THEY HAVE A DEVICE THAT WILL MOVE THE MOUSE WHERE YOU PUT THINK TO PUT IT AND CLICKS WHEN YOU THINK CLICK SOON YOU WILL SEE LINUX HYBRID MEN WITH THIRTY INCH COMPUTOR COCKS AND 40 USB PORTS RUNNING UP THEM

BROS EMPBARCE THA FUTURE

kris

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
About twelve hours in The top team(IE the one that died the least) in the tourney had around 150+ deaths/reloads.
And that's on normal difficulty? Haha my god even gamers today are such a goddamn failure. I had much much much much much much much much less when playing BG2 for the first time.

You can't really blame the players when the competition games are real breezes. Other games you really have to make an effort to die, not an effort to live. So if even mediocre players have a problem with DA then we know it is at least harder than pretty much every other recent game. But then again, I don't know why I reply to you, seemingly you would never concede a point.

Personally I will try it and will be pleased it the fight provide a challenge.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
BROS, NO MATTER IF THE GAME IS SHITTY OR NOT AS LONG AS WE CAN CIRCLE-JERK AND BITCH ABOUT SKYWAY, AMIRITE!?!?

Jeez, there really is no excuse for putting an golden exclamation mark over a quest giver. In a MMORPG it's understandable to differentiate between players and npc's, though it is kinda silly even there. But in a single-player game?

Next you're gonna praise the innovative DLC system. Oh wait, you did that one already!

Jaime Lannister said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

Heh. Good name.

you'd have to have skyway levels of bitchiness to complain about an option to turn the arrow on or off.

Infact im saying that it's at least nice off of em to try make everyone happy, i was complaining until i thought it wasn't toggleable... BUT

Do yuo think this system can actually work? Did it work in Bioshock or the SS fans were pissed?

The exclamation mark is an option alright, and you can turn it OFF, but like the windows uninstall app it leaves some traces of consoleness retardation that are linked with the mark... for example the fact that maybe quests only require you going from person to person, no item interaction or intermediaries.

Or another thing i heard is that the NPC you need to blather with sort of WAVES at you.

Know what i mean? Even turned off maybe you can't turn off all the n00bness

GarfunkeL said:
BROS, NO MATTER IF THE GAME IS SHITTY OR NOT AS LONG AS WE CAN CIRCLE-JERK AND BITCH ABOUT SKYWAY, AMIRITE!?!?

Jeez, there really is no excuse for putting an golden exclamation mark over a quest giver. In a MMORPG it's understandable to differentiate between players and npc's, though it is kinda silly even there. But in a single-player game?

Next you're gonna praise the innovative DLC system. Oh wait, you did that one already!

Exactly.

The next gen Codexers are used to this kind of handholding now though. They probably need it.

Armacalypse

Scholar
Or another thing i heard is that the NPC you need to blather with sort of WAVES at you.
Why is the PC the only one who has to move their mouse over people to see who they are and then talk to them? NPCs should stop being lazy.

Rorschach

Novice
Still no scans?

You're all fucking worthless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom