Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer reviews Dragon Age

Lonewolf

Novice
'Verdict
A truly astonishing game. Vast, vivid and microscopically detailed. Dragon Age is the RPG of the decade

94%'

FLAME ON!

Black

Arcane
Lonewolf said:
'Verdict
Dragon Age is the RPG of the decade
Fallout 3, Mass Errect 2 or Dragon Age- which one is better and why?
DISCUSS!!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Better yet, someone post scans or quote texts of their reviews of Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Oblivion for comparison.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Nael said:
The only negative they gave was that it was "too difficult".

I hope all these gaming press fags don't disencourage Bioware from making a challenging game again

Multi-headed Cow

Reviewed by Dess "Hellgate London 89%" lock.

Can't really say as I trust his opinion on RPGs. Or at least his ability to rate them, I did enjoy reading his articles on RPGs in PC Gamer back when I still got PC Gamer. And back when they still had editorials.

Squeek

Scholar
Stereotypical Villain said:

They don't review games, they give them blowjobs.
I wish I hadn't been drinking coffee when I read this.

No doubt they apply their lips respectfully, but where exactly?

Multi-headed Cow

Correction! Apparently this was PC Gamer UK's review, which I would assume isn't from Desslock.

Norfleet

Nael said:
I'm not sure that's even a negative. If it's too difficult for mouthbreathing game "journalists", it sounds like it will be just right for real gamers.

It's funny how some people get the lulz out of a review on a game they haven't read. It's even more funny how this is a game nobody has played as of yet. Most obscure of all is how people get the lulz out of some random numbers - it was obscure even if they knew the scoring policy of said publication said review appeared in. Scoring policy, you know, the thing that metacritic just ignores and pisses all over, making the policy of every single publication seem like perfectly even, all for the sake of making up an average score down to the last percent.

Bound to be the best thread ever, 100%.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
onemananadhisdroid said:
It's funny how people get the lulz out of a review on a game they haven't read. It's even more funny how this is a game nobody has played as of yet. Most obscure of all is how people get the lulz out of some random numbers - it was obscure even if they knew the scoring policy of said publication said review appeared in. Scoring policy, you know, the thing that metacritic just ignores and pisses all over, making the policy of every single publication seem like perfectly even, all for the sake of making up an average score down to the last percent.

Best thread ever, 100%.

lulz

Pegultagol

Erudite
Some of their positives could be considered negatives, like the regeneration of health. If it is too hard, they cannot go through the game easily enough to submit their reviews by the deadline and that is another element that colors their objectivity, the final tally belying their personal threshold for frustration and attention period.

The HP regen is a lazy game mechanic borrowed from console FPS conventions (probably Halo) for roughshod balance purposes. While it is worthwhile that the combat difficulty could have been raised above that only newcomers to the genre would find challenging, it just does not make sense to include it in the higher difficulty levels.

Black

Arcane
onemananadhisdroid said:
It's funny how some people get the lulz out of a review on a game they haven't read. It's even more funny how this is a game nobody has played as of yet. Most obscure of all is how people get the lulz out of some random numbers - it was obscure even if they knew the scoring policy of said publication said review appeared in. Scoring policy, you know, the thing that metacritic just ignores and pisses all over, making the policy of every single publication seem like perfectly even, all for the sake of making up an average score down to the last percent.

Codex predictions have worked well many times before, like with fallout 3, so the jokes on you buddy.

Nael

Arcane
Norfleet said:
Nael said:
I'm not sure that's even a negative. If it's too difficult for mouthbreathing game "journalists", it sounds like it will be just right for real gamers.

Oh I agree. Hence why I said "too difficult" with the quotation marks.

Guessing from the Gamingtrend.com preview it looks like some of the "too difficult" encounters just require you to examine your surroundings and come up with novel approaches to the situation. Mass Effect this game is not.

Armacalypse

Scholar
Pegultagol said:
Some of their positives could be considered negatives, like the regeneration of health. If it is too hard, they cannot go through the game easily enough to submit their reviews by the deadline and that is another element that colors their objectivity, the final tally belying their personal threshold for frustration and attention period.

The HP regen is a lazy game mechanic borrowed from console FPS conventions (probably Halo) for roughshod balance purposes. While it is worthwhile that the combat difficulty could have been raised above that only newcomers to the genre would find challenging, it just does not make sense to include it in the higher difficulty levels.
No. In next-gen shooters health regenerates in combat, making it very exploitable. This is not the same thing.

Each fight being handled separately without HP being treated as a pointless resource does seem like a plus for an RPG like this. Any "hardcore" bullshit argument about strategy doesn't apply unless you have completed the game already or have a walkthrough handy, so that you know how many and what the future encounters are.

The same goes for the stupid claim that regenerating health is less realistic. In real life, your success in the next battle is not determined by how many times you were hit in the previous. Actually that's not entirely true, if you are dead or crippled the next battle will obviously not go well. However, most of the time it would be decided by other things like how exhausted you are, and guess what, catching your breath doesn't take that long. Actually being hit, and injuries, seems to be represented by the system in place for characters who are "knocked out".

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
That is fucking retarded. You are saying that without walkthrough or prior play-through, the Player CAN NOT plan ahead?

It's not about knowing exactly how the dungeon is gonna go, it's about being prepared.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, if it is difficult, I might be able to get some enjoyment out of it.

As for the regenerating health thing, I rested after practically every battle in Baldur's Gate. It would take weeks of game time for me to finish dungeons. I'm perfectly fine with being able to avoid that nonsense because of regenerating health mechanics.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
NICE REVIEW THE SHEEPLE AND THE PAID WHOPRES IN THE MEDIA ARE DOING THERE JOB SLURP DOWN BIOFAGS LATEST EVERYONE!!?>!!?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
onemananadhisdroid said:

TAKE YOUR STUPID CRAP BACK TO GAMEFAGS WITH THE REST OF THE CONSOLETARDS

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"As for the regenerating health thing, I rested after practically every battle in Baldur's Gate."

Youa re a fuckin' piece of shit loser who sucks at gaming. Resting after every battle? What a fuckin' wussified wuss.

You lose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom