Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with The Lord of Nothing DLC

Azarkon

Arcane
"Season pass" is just the new marketing word for "expansion" except you buy it before knowing what it actually is.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Season pass" is just the new marketing word for "expansion" except you buy it before knowing what it actually is.
But it's not. It's small pieces of dlcs cut up for the whole year. Expansion would be one thing, yes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Quite the opposite. Their games are uniquely suited for Durlag's Tower/Watcher's Tower-style DLC - that is, adding new areas to the world map with higher production values and more possibility for craftsmanship than that of the rest of the main game (where a certain quantity is necessary). With 1-3 classes/races added that tie in to the themes of the new area.

It's just that either their braindead audience doesn't want these things or Owlcat themselves don't want to make them. Either way, it sucks
Hmmm.... nope, still not interested in replaying a 100 hour campaign for a really well designed 5-10 hour dungeon.

this is why we can't have nice things btw
I mean they have a point. The DLCs had some of the best content in PoE I and II but they totally borked the main quest progression.

They should do some sort of parallel universe thing where you can play as Nulkineth and if you beat the dork AreeSu chose in Kenabres you can take over all the stupid builds they made out of the companions and try to salvage something from them. That or go Ultima VI where the Gargs are just misunderstood and you can play with Garg companions through the main questline with Gargs as CG against Dark Reg and his LE minions.

A lot of ways to go with that sort of thing without just tacking on a ton of extra loot and experience.

I bolded the relevant point. Only autists like us play these games 100%, so it matters less for others. And boy would I much rather have more FANTASTIC White Marches with the cost of balance issues than a swath of irrelevant stand-alone DLCs.

PoE is a point in favour of my argument here, IMO. Even most PoE-haters agree that its DLC was excellent

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Even most PoE-haters agree that its DLC was excellent
True PoE haters, or even just PoE unenjoyers such as myself just never played the dlc.

If they made a new mythic path, and gave it unique dungeons to replace some of the ones in the base game I'd certainly be tempted.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I mean they have a point. The DLCs had some of the best content in PoE I and II but they totally borked the main quest progression.

They should do some sort of parallel universe thing where you can play as Nulkineth and if you beat the dork AreeSu chose in Kenabres you can take over all the stupid builds they made out of the companions and try to salvage something from them. That or go Ultima VI where the Gargs are just misunderstood and you can play with Garg companions through the main questline with Gargs as CG against Dark Reg and his LE minions.

A lot of ways to go with that sort of thing without just tacking on a ton of extra loot and experience.

I bolded the relevant point. Only autists like us play these games 100%, so it matters less for others. And boy would I much rather have more FANTASTIC White Marches with the cost of balance issues than a swath of irrelevant stand-alone DLCs.

PoE is a point in favour of my argument here, IMO. Even most PoE-haters agree that its DLC was excellent
White March *was* a standalone. What's the point of going back to play the "game" ludicrously overleveled/looted? People like MvP in MMOs, why not in games like this? You guys all like to LARP evil already. They could let the rich kids play Anevia to own the bigots and aging chads play Berengeur (sp?) for some relief from our absurd cultural erasure.

Herumor

Scholar
I honestly don't understand the point of those DLCs where you play as some regular schmucks in a game that's supposed to be all about mythic paths and their powers.

Instead of making more content for the paths that are lacking in content or just appear way too late in the game, they do this. Worst part is you can see even by Steam reviews that people didn't like the DLCs and they just doubled down on that shit.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I honestly don't understand the point of those DLCs where you play as some regular schmucks in a game that's supposed to be all about mythic paths and their powers.

Instead of making more content for the paths that are lacking in content or just appear way too late in the game, they do this. Worst part is you can see even by Steam reviews that people didn't like the DLCs and they just doubled down on that shit.
I think they asked people this time and the "party with your spouse" dlc is the result of that...

I definitely don't have anything against low level separate mini-campaign dlc (I still think Varnholds Lot was the best thing about PFKM), but they should invest into fixing the game first and foremost. If they did that, I would be super happy with no dlc at all.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

They didn't like the DLCs because they were made by the Boggart Cave team instead of the genius devs who were working on Rogue Trader.

user

Savant
Another well-made dungeon wouldn't make the game feel more like a slog, unless it's only as good as the content that already makes it feel like a slog.
A good game can never be too large you imbeciles! If it feels too large, it's only because it's not that good. or because you are romance simps

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Season pass for a singleplayer RPG. Just feels wrong. Is Pathfinder a "game as a service" now?
It's pretty old terminology for this sort of thing. Basically buy all our DLCs at once for some sort of discount, whether decent or not. The SaaS term is battle pass. Why? Dunno, gibz money!

Yeah, I remember getting the season pass for eithers Pillars of Eternity 1 or 2 (maybe both). I don't really have a problem with the whole concept, since it is totally not required to buy it.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

It reminds me of the table-top campaigns in which the DM had run as "low magic" and not a lot of powerful loot.

Longes

Augur

Firstly, Through the Ashes 2 was obviously going to happen. Because Through the Ashes ends on a cliffhanger and promise of future DLC.
Secondly, the mythic path stuff ended up being a problem for development. Each path is huge, but also each path is liked only by a small portion of the audience. So if you make, say, Devil DLC, you are not going to get any money from most your player base who only play Angel/Azata/Legend. And adding a new path (or expanding a late game path down to act 1) is probably about as much work as making something like Through the Ashes. But once again, attractive to a smaller audience.

Most people are just not sufficiently hardcore autists to play WotR for 500 hours and try every mythic path.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Another well-made dungeon wouldn't make the game feel more like a slog, unless it's only as good as the content that already makes it feel like a slog.
A good game can never be too large you imbeciles! If it feels too large, it's only because it's not that good. or because you are romance simps
I disagree. If anything romance simps are the ones really pushing for endless (romance) content.

There's just something to be said for tight, coherent games that don't overstay the depth of their mechanics or breadth of their design space. You can just replay it if you aren't sated, you know?

Yosharian

Arcane
I like long games that are good for their whole length, Kingmaker wasn't. Wayyyy too much boring/unimaginative padding. And I'm not even talking about HATEOT, I didn't even mind it that much.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I disagree. If anything romance simps are the ones really pushing for endless (romance) content.

There's just something to be said for tight, coherent games that don't overstay the depth of their mechanics or breadth of their design space. You can just replay it if you aren't sated, you know?

Good point. It's not like most of this site's favourite games are unending, massive games that didn't give a fuck about broken promises as long as they worked their asses off to make something insanely ambitious and so brimming with content that you can still replay them and find secrets here in your mid 30s even though you didn't have pubes when you first played them

Surely, everyone on the Codex sees the reason in "don't compromise on quality to make game big"

But then again, you are the kind of fag who has never played Baldur's Gate 2, so how would you know glorious content explosions and epic scale even if they sucked you off in the metro

Last edited:

Longes

Augur
Spoilers for Midnight Isles:
Nahyndri's redemption arc is infinitely more interesting than Nocticula's Redeemer Queen bollocking. And it helps that he's a body horror Balor rather than a sexy succubus, as 100% of redeemed demons tend to be. And that he doesn't instantly get rewarded with heavenly superpowers. Though Nahyndri exists almost entirely in lore texts, he's a fascinating character and I wish we had more of him.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Good point. It's not like most of this site's favourite games are unending, massive games that didn't give a fuck about broken promises
For sure when I think of Fallout 1, PS:T, VTmb, AoD the first thing that comes to mind is unending and massive.

(Obviously I'm cherry picking a bit, but the point stands)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Good point. It's not like most of this site's favourite games are unending, massive games that didn't give a fuck about broken promises
For sure when I think of Fallout 1, PS:T, VTmb, AoD the first thing that comes to mind is unending and massive.

(Obviously I'm cherry picking a bit, but the point stands)

No it fucking doesn't lol

My favourite games this last decade has been stuff like Blackguards, Dungeons of Naheulbeuk and Knight's Tale, the definition of tight, coherent games.

But Pathfinder games ain't fucking that, the very notion is ludicrous, lol.

If you go big, either go BIG or go home, and I applaud Owlcat for doing just that. But arguing against satellite DLC by talking about "tightness" and "coherence" in relation to a Pathfinder game? Get outta here nigga :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom