Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
so it’s good?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some initial impressions:

1. You can play as Douchebag McScrewface, the inbred Targaryen.

ZtkwbDd.png

2. Or as undead Triss Merigold.

DvRZUHr.png

3. Aaaaand my first bug - tootltip that wouldn't disappear and made character creation impossible.

TiztUWO.jpg

25235723.jpg

Probably tomorrow.

sstacks

Arcane
Oh yeah, it'd be nice if somebody could dig into the game files and see if the portraits are stored in a directory somewhere so we could do a Codex avatar gallery.

I see a lot of dlls and files with related manifests but no outright uncompressed art assets

It's Unity if anyone has any thoughts on where / how to look

Use unity studio to extract from .assets files?

Well, the Personal version is free so I'll download and give it a shot just for grins.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Somehow, this is the one crowd-funded game I've backed at something other than a beta tier. Oh well; share some more streams, guys!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Character creation impressions.

WI6u3p6.jpg

1. Look at this cute halfling character model. Awwww.
2. Character creator is complex and robust. I am actually impressed. You get a lot of options and even at one point see a chart showing at which level what feats and other skills you class will get, to plan your build up to level 20 (sorry, I forgot to make a screenshot of that).
3. The game suffers from clear "in-progress" state now. Keen senses description claims it applies to elves, gnomes and half-elves, but halflings and dwarves get it too. Hair color affects both your hair and beard, but you cannot change it unless you pick a hair style with actual hair (so to get bald+beard combo you need to choose a hair style and a beard, change hair color and then switch to bald head).
4. I hope the final version of character creation offers suggestions for choices at each step, since this will be overwhelming for anyone who does not already know D&D/Pathifnder systems. I am glad I started my D&D adventure with the much simpler 2nd edition.
5. Character creation music puts me to sleep. Making you character in Baldur's Gate was an EPIC affair, this does not compare. My biggest disappoitment so far.

vtVf65N.jpg

Character summary screen. This is The Codex, my half-elf bard. Obviously I had to choose the douchebag portrait.

gWNFhIT.jpg

If you hover over the highlighted words you get a nice popup with description. Not exactly a new idea, but always appreciated in a lore-heavy game.

Elex

Arbiter
i hope that all the lore and knowledge points really matter and it’s not 2 skill check in the entire game.

my 8 int/8wis/8char warrior is going to be a terrible king?

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Oh my god they have a Grenadier sub-class? This is like a dream come true
what about the vivisectionist?
"don't kill him i need him alive!"
I don't get vivisectionist. What's the point of him? He loses alchemist bombs and gains sneak attack, what is he going to do with it?

He does a Hyde build with his mutagens.

alchemist guide said:
Master Hyde (MH)

Pros: This is going to be the more damage focused Alchemist, as generally you’ll be wanting to take Vivisectionist with this. While you can play an Master Hyde build without taking that archetype, you’re still a heavily damage focused character. Your strengths are generally more endurance than your fellow Mad Bombers, although you pay for this with less battlefield control, which can be very important to a lot of players. Master Hyde players are very versatile though, being able to tangle in melee with using bombs as a secondary source of damage, making them quite useful.

Cons: Taking vivisectionist limits your attack options quite a bit, and without it you’re leaving damage on the table. unless you have a certain bomb you can’t live without. Also you’ll be in more risk of taking damage, as well as far more selfish with your use of extracts. It’s always more dangerous on the front lines, so be careful.

Suggested Archetypes: Vivisectionist, Beastmorph

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dudes relaxedly walking around during combat is gonna be popular with some die-hard IEers, but I imagine most viewers are probably going to think it looks derpy as hell.

Some do have a faster running animation though, is that for characters with an inherent speed bonus?

PrettyDeadman

They are slow because they are overloaded with loot, because that's the way stash works.. no?
Yes, as you get closer to total weight limit (even before you actually reach the limit) your characters start to crawl. And since in early game you are showered with cheap armor - a lot of player encounter slow walk speed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom