Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
fuck canon

Shadenuat

Arcane
The party balance is out of whack, it needs at least 3 male fighter classes. Woman paladin woman warrior woman whatever. BG1 right from the start had minsc, kivan, kagain, ajantis, khalid; if you wanted you could take jaheira, shar teel, whatever, but both males and females were represented well enough. here 2 first men you meet are clerics.

It does, however, create an interesting game with camping: you play male, send one woman to hunt deer, another to cook ( :shittydog: ), third to polish armor, while you do what you want. Great example of design goals working backwards :shittydog:

So far game reminds me of BG1 a lot with its searching for bandits in forests and retard gnome antagonist putting traps on your way. Can be fun. Concidering they JUST finally made same potions in inventory stackable though, the game would be decent only after 1-2 more years of development. (make all same trash loot including daggers and chain mails stackable ffs)

If only they toned down the paizo art direction just a little bit more...

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
The party balance is out of whack, it needs at least 3 male fighter classes. Woman paladin woman warrior woman whatever. BG1 right from the start had minsc, kivan, kagain, ajantis, khalid; if you wanted you could take jaheira, shar teel, whatever, but both males and females were represented well enough. here 2 first men you meet are clerics.

It does, however, create an interesting game with camping: you play male, send one woman to hunt deer, another to cook ( :shittydog: ), third to polish armor, while you do what you want. Great example of design goals working backwards :shittydog:

So far game reminds me of BG1 a lot with it's searching for bandits in forests and retard gnome antagonist putting traps on your way. Can be fun. Concidering they JUST finally made same potions in inventory stackable though, the game would be decent only after 1-2 more years of development. (make all same trash loot including dagger and chain mails stackable ffs)

If only they toned down the paizo art direction just a little bit more...
I am pretty sure I am not the only one that in BG1 made a male protagonist and then only had 5 female companions in the party :)

Mortmal

Arcane
prettiest anything out of game's art I've seen so far

pathfinder.jpg

replace that thing on Amiri's shoulder with actual weapon and you can imagine game looks better than it actually does eh.
Art is pretty on this pic indeed, but as for the writing mca dont break a sweat :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Art is pretty on this pic indeed, but as for the writing mca dont break a sweat :)
Judging by prologue, with it's totally not-evil purple gnome giving you the ring, who tries to make you do bad things and is obviously not a spy, whom you probably can't kill and probably even if you don't do anything he wants you to he would still have another set of dialogue lines to make you do what he wants, MCA was smoking weed and writing chaotic evil goblin all the time, as well as posing naked for their promotional materials and developers hall of fame (but we won't see it).
Maybe im wrong and you can screw the purple dick, and see him turned by kobolds into kebab later, but if not then spirit of NWN unkillable NPCs and totally not obvious betrayals is strong in this one.

The saving grace for the writing is that it does not, in any way, tries to be highbrow, and so you just do not judge it as harshly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Tolkien himself has said magic should be used sparingly and with great care, otherwise it can facilitate a lot of bullshit and can cheapen a setting or story. Guess who didn't take his advice.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Tolkien himself has said magic should be used sparingly and with great care, otherwise it can facilitate a lot of bullshit and can cheapen a setting or story. Guess who didn't take his advice.

In before: It's fantasy, nothing has to make sense or be relatable. I want retardedness.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is not set in Tolkien's low magic world.

Also i will make my man cook,it is well know fact that man cook better than women!

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's overwhelmingly magical. I can't think of anything that wasn't in some way magical. Them not casting spells often was due to Tolkien's reluctance to rely too much on magic to solve the plot. That's why most magic things happen to the protagonists, rather than them using magic, even though they still use the enchanted blades and cloaks. Aragorn is arguably a magical healer. The Nazgul. The mirrors of Eradriel (?). The elves infuse magic into anything they touch. etc.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's overwhelmingly magical. I can't think of anything that wasn't in some way magical. Them not casting spells often was due to Tolkien's reluctance to rely too much on magic to solve the plot. That's why most magic things happen to the protagonists, rather than them using magic, even though they still use the enchanted blades and cloaks. Aragorn is arguably a magical healer. The Nazgul. The mirrors of Eradriel (?). The elves infuse magic into anything they touch. etc.
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the more overt cases of Magic, such as casting spells in combat or intentional use of it for easy to solve problems. Of course there is a lot of "magic" in Middle-Earth, there were several parts of the book that were cut out in the movies which even further drove this point home; that being said, it's nothing compared to the typical high fantasy that we've become too accustomed too. You said it yourself, Tolkien wanted to use Magic sparingly and with great care, I think he did a decent enough job with that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The protagonists not using much magic doesn't make the setting low magic. It's arguably the first high magic setting.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There was almost no magic in the whole book mate,you have a bunch of useless undead kings,elf that live long,wizards that can't cast anything above illuminate and fight demons with swords and a big eye in a tower that dies when a ring is melted. If you are talking about races and shit....well that is like an alien seeing us and thinking that niggers and jews are magical because they are different. The whole book is about a cursed ring that gives you a second level illusion spell.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Keeping magic magical conflicts with (tactical) gameplay since magic to keep it's properties should be mysterious, rare and bizarre (and not ever reliable), and that doesn't work well with codifying magical systems which is first thing game designers do with it in RPGs. If you can read whole magic system from a manual then illusion is already broken before game even begins.

Some would say that it should follow rules, but thing is, you probably shouldn't just say that magic can do this and that, and not anything else; more like magic should just behave during narrative in that way without explaining that. Tolkien did exactly that - his magic has particular behavior and pacing, but it's not like he said that Gandalf can only cast that amount of spells during encounter or something. Like, he seems sage-ey enough, but can actually fuck up a giant Balrog when plot needs it (or at least stand up to all these powerful beings).

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Tolkien never placed limits on Gandalf's magic for many reasons, all of them narrative ones. Given Tolkien's obsessiveness over descriptions, I'd say he not describing something is important, in this case Gandalf's magic. I'd even say Gandalf is a representation of the storyteller's (Tolkien's) ultimate power over his creation, only held in check by the demands of a good narrative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom