Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fact that the Codex hasn't turned into a riot of 'for' vs 'against', with posters verbally shivving each other and a general all round pandemonium of autistic rage and bloodletting through glimmering rays of fanboyism and spouts of blood ... means that this game is above average, and nobody can zero in on anything glaringly bad.
So I bought it. Currently downloading.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Why can enemies that are asleep have the ability to dodge, there's nothing like seeing 5 members of my party missing again and again the same target and when the enemies wake up, they hit on their first try. The dumbest thing I have seen in a long time:retarded:

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
The character creation interface is for the most part great. But am I blind or there's no way to know spell progression of different classes? Or even what is the primary casting stat. I assume it works as in 3.5 but I am unfamiliar with Pathfinder ruleset.

Is there a wiki or something like that available somewhere?
Big green dot on your stats shows what you need.

Squid

Arbiter
The fact that the Codex hasn't turned into a riot of 'for' vs 'against', with posters verbally shivving each other and a general all round pandemonium of autistic rage and bloodletting through glimmering rays of fanboyism and spouts of blood ... means that this game is above average, and nobody can zero in on anything glaringly bad.
Yeah I'm surprised there isn't a shitstorm going on. I'm still waiting for a lot of people to finish the game at least once to hear the final arguments about it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I can rage about it being a RTwP made of a turn based system if you really miss the "raging" part, you only have to ask nicely. But I don't see much point. Turn based > RTwP any day of the week but we get what we get from the developers and if it's done well there is little point in not trying to enjoy what is being given.

Drudkh

Learned
I recommend it from the couple hours i've played so far, and it's surprisingly prettier looking than i thought it would be. The character personalities are extremely stereotypical for their class so far but that doesn't matter to me because the diversity in character creation is so. damn. good. Unlike a certain sequel this year the combat feels vital fun so far; not just filler that's wasting my time. I understand peoples complaints about the writing, but the presentation and music make the game feel immersive and the Pathfinder systems (i've never played the tabletop) seem equally as deep and interesting as DnD to me.

I was suspicious from the lack of reviews and the rather bland looking visual style from the beta videos i watched, but in person the art direction is actually really nice. I agree with the person in this thread that said they wish they could remove the shit green/red highlighting around characters that appear when the cursor passes over em tho. Only completion of the game will tell if the thing stays thorough and doesn't feel rushed incomplete near the end like the PoE games tho

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why can enemies that are asleep have the ability to dodge, there's nothing like seeing 5 members of my party missing again and again the same target and when the enemies wake up, they hit on their first try. The dumbest thing I have seen in a long time:retarded:

Helpless (sleep, paralysis and unconsciousness) doesn't reduce AC to 0, it just removes all dex bonuses (and if I remember rightly) gives a flat penalty on top.

Prone actually gives you a bonus to dodging ranged attacks, but gives a -4 AC penalty against melee attacks iirc.

Sentinel

Arcane
does combat maneuver actually do anything in this game? I'm not seeing any trip or disarm commands.
& is it possible to deal nonlethal damage? I wanted to bring someone back alive for a quest but he just dies.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah I'm surprised there isn't a shitstorm going on. I'm still waiting for a lot of people to finish the game at least once to hear the final arguments about it.
Not controversial game ,they delivered what we expected using a well known ruleset unlike POE who was supposed to be BG2 succesor so no shitstorm , in fact the game could very well be superior to BG2 .Need to finish before telling although.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Avellone obviously was not writing dialog. If he was, he would not have a barbarian woman saying anachronistic and frankly stupid words like "crappy."

Funny that you say that because words like "shit" were already very well in use in the middle ages (although taboo) and the word "crap" has its roots in Middle English ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Look I appreciate the effort you put into this post, but the word "crappy" is a decidedly modern sounding word. If she had said "shitty" I would not have made the comment; your two points don't follow each other. It just doesn't fit; in much the same way that "like" has been around a long time, but it would be ridiculous if a barbarian woman in Ye Olden Fantasy Tymes were to like, talk a bunch, like, about how, like big her like sword is. Just because a word has been around a long time doesn't mean you can just throw it in there.

I mean, the word "fire" has been around a long time too, but "firing an arrow" is an anachronism; arrows were not "fired," they were "loosed." "Firing" an arrow imposition of the procedure for using firearms on the usage of a bow. It's dumb, smart writers will avoid it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Turn based > RTwP any day of the week
D:OS 2 says otherwise.
I wouldn't know about the second game but in case of the first one, I stand by my opinion. But you have a point. So let me rephrase. Not "any TB system", that is a hyperbole. Clearly a broken or a really bad system won't be better than anything. Make it "a competent TB system" > "any rtwp system of similarly competent design" in a party based crpg.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

What happened to the coup de grace mechanic from older editions anyway. Same with the healing during rest, I thought once I got a cleric I'd be able to cut down on rest time much more but all it does is restore spells, which are then wasted on healing after the camp is broken up.

Mortmal

Arcane
Wut about items? Boring crap like PoE or they are nice and interesting?
No , i am not "fabulously optimistic" i am playing it right now and it's that good.As for items its as good as it goes with pathfinder. Seriously everything , i mean it, everything is pure incline.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

What happened to the coup de grace mechanic from older editions anyway. Same with the healing during rest, I thought once I got a cleric I'd be able to cut down on rest time much more but all it does is restore spells, which are then wasted on healing after the camp is broken up.

Coup de grace is in the tabletop rules, you just auto roll crit damage and if they're still alive after they roll a fort save against the DC of the damage you deal. If they fail they die.

Probably wasn't ported into the game.

Squid

Arbiter
Not controversial game ,they delivered what we expected using a well known ruleset unlike POE who was supposed to be BG2 succesor so no shitstorm , in fact the game could very well be superior to BG2 .Need to finish before telling although.
I said that because of some of the early comments I saw about the game when it was first put up on storefronts. I expected a lot of people to be ready to shit on it. But yeah, I'm waiting to see if the game is good first. Glad to hear it isn't immediately ass though.

Parabalus

Arcane

Didn't you hear?

Heal on rest in Bg2 is decline, real RPGs waste your time with casting memorized Cure Light Wounds.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Turn based > RTwP any day of the week
D:OS 2 says otherwise.
I wouldn't know about the second game but in case of the first one, I stand by my opinion. But you have a point. So let me rephrase. Not "any TB system", that is a hyperbole. Clearly a broken or a really bad system won't be better than anything. Make it "a competent TB system" > "any rtwp system of similarly competent design" in a party based crpg.
I wouldn't badmouth the first, I've only played it up to the end of cyseal. But regarding the second one... there is a Roxor review ;)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Didn't you hear?

Heal on rest in Bg2 is decline, real RPGs waste your time with casting memorized Cure Light Wounds.
Wat, you have to manually cast them? :lol:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just got Avelloned by 2 wolves. Got to love that random 20 crit!

I think I have to restart. My mage is on a 1 million missing streak now - MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS hit for 2 damage MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS 16 damage received from normal attack DEATH

And my DPSer got kidnapped. Please game, some restraint. I'm old and feeble :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom